Macan 2014-Current

2021 vs 2022 Macan GTS Order

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 11:56 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Yep, I got the dreaded 18 ways and PTV+ on my order.
Which seats are preferred? I think the stock 22 GTS seats will be 8 ways. Are they comfy?

PTV+ is harder on the rear brakes but still worth it or not?

May have a 22 GTS order slot. Welcome everyone's build suggestions (No LKA, etc).
Old 10-26-2021, 03:15 AM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

This is just one opinion, but we love the 18 way seats... very adjustable and of course they provide lots of lateral support when cornering. This is not a sports car, but it has great handling and lots of rubber, so lateral cornering forces are high enough that you may appreciate the bolsters holding you in place (assuming you drive in a spirited manner).

I skipped PTV+ because I was not experienced with it, and was concerned that I might not like it. (Due to COVID, we were not able to do a back to back test drive). To be honest, IMHO this vehicle has really good turn in response and I do not feel that it is understeering at all, despite its weight. It handles the way I expect a Porsche to handle. My comparison points are years with a 993 C2 coupe, and a 944 Turbo coupe before it that we tracked a lot. We ticked the box for "summer tires" on the Macan, so instead of all season rubber we got German-made Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 SUV tires, which I have been very impressed with. Maybe all season tires tend to understeer more than the Eagle F1's, and PTV+ is intended to balance that, but it is also offered on 911s so I don't really get what it is trying to "fix". A neutral handling car shouldn't need an electronic braking bandaid to turn into a corner, in my opinion. Maybe some drivers perceive the PTV+ induced oversteer as "sporty", but I prefer neutral handling that is predictable. Hopefully others with PTV experience can add more information.

I have had the equivalent of LKA on my last couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees, and generally hit the defeat switch as I find it annoying on the 2 lane roads that I drive most often (it might be a safety feature if I drove freeways at night, which I don't very often), and worried about falling asleep (yikes!). On narrow 2 lane roads here in Vermont, there are way too many occasions where you need to cut the centerline or fog line (bicyclists, pedestrians, oncoming drivers too close to the centerline) so it is triggering too much of the time. I didn't order it on the Macan. BTW, at least with our option packages, the Lane Departure Warning is standard... that does not bump the steering wheel with feedback to you, but does provide an audible warning, so I have that defeated with the console switch for the reason above. Thankfully it does not have to be defeated every time you start the vehicle... it remembers the setting.

However, just to be clear, I do have the Lane Change Assist, which provides a form of blind spot monitoring. Unlike the Jeep's, the Porsche system provides visual feedback (amber lights on the mirrors) but no audible alert. I would prefer both the visual and audible alert, but it is still a valuable tool.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:33 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

If I were to spec a '22 Macan GTS, it would be:
-Chalk, Carmine Red, or Miami blue exterior
-Black/Bordeaux red interior
-Instrument dials in bordeaux red
-roof rails in gloss black
-Sport Chrono pkg
-LCA
-ACC
-Burmester sound system

I'm fine with 8 way seats. I had 18 way seats on my 911 GTS and would have been fine without them. If I were to track the car, I'd get sport shell seats as I have with my current toy. Seats to me are something you set once and forget. I don't care for LKA as they can be annoying; it's full automation or it's not and LKA is neither. PTV+ plus is overkill on a SUV, IMO. RAS would have been more useful but Porsche can careless about what I think. Lastly, I don't like sunroofs on my cars (the wife does); I never use them and the creaking going over bumps and drive ways are annoying. To each his/her own.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:27 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts
Default 22 GTS Order

Originally Posted by schnell
This is just one opinion, but we love the 18 way seats... very adjustable and of course they provide lots of lateral support when cornering. This is not a sports car, but it has great handling and lots of rubber, so lateral cornering forces are high enough that you may appreciate the bolsters holding you in place (assuming you drive in a spirited manner).

I skipped PTV+ because I was not experienced with it, and was concerned that I might not like it. (Due to COVID, we were not able to do a back to back test drive). To be honest, IMHO this vehicle has really good turn in response and I do not feel that it is understeering at all, despite its weight. It handles the way I expect a Porsche to handle. My comparison points are years with a 993 C2 coupe, and a 944 Turbo coupe before it that we tracked a lot. We ticked the box for "summer tires" on the Macan, so instead of all season rubber we got German-made Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 SUV tires, which I have been very impressed with. Maybe all season tires tend to understeer more than the Eagle F1's, and PTV+ is intended to balance that, but it is also offered on 911s so I don't really get what it is trying to "fix". A neutral handling car shouldn't need an electronic braking bandaid to turn into a corner, in my opinion. Maybe some drivers perceive the PTV+ induced oversteer as "sporty", but I prefer neutral handling that is predictable. Hopefully others with PTV experience can add more information.

I have had the equivalent of LKA on my last couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees, and generally hit the defeat switch as I find it annoying on the 2 lane roads that I drive most often (it might be a safety feature if I drove freeways at night, which I don't very often), and worried about falling asleep (yikes!). On narrow 2 lane roads here in Vermont, there are way too many occasions where you need to cut the centerline or fog line (bicyclists, pedestrians, oncoming drivers too close to the centerline) so it is triggering too much of the time. I didn't order it on the Macan. BTW, at least with our option packages, the Lane Departure Warning is standard... that does not bump the steering wheel with feedback to you, but does provide an audible warning, so I have that defeated with the console switch for the reason above. Thankfully it does not have to be defeated every time you start the vehicle... it remembers the setting.

However, just to be clear, I do have the Lane Change Assist, which provides a form of blind spot monitoring. Unlike the Jeep's, the Porsche system provides visual feedback (amber lights on the mirrors) but no audible alert. I would prefer both the visual and audible alert, but it is still a valuable tool.

Hope this is helpful.
Spoiler

Very helpful. Especially from a 944 Turbo owner. I still miss my Silver Rose 88 944 Turbo S.

Also thanks to the poster below for more info on the seats. Not sure which way I will go but the 8 way seats look fine for an SUV. I have 18 way seats in a 2019 GTS Targa and a 2021 TTS. They are great but perhaps overkill in the Macan?

Thanks also re: the PTV+ and agree that it may be unnecessary too.

Thanks for the insights, guys. Very much appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2021 vs 2022 Macan GTS Order