Macan 2014-Current

Advice Needed - Factory Installed Tire Just Blew

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 01:52 AM
osdo1990
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Advice Needed - Factory Installed Tire Just Blew

So I just bought a new Macan for my mom just last month. The car has 800 miles on it.

Today my mom was driving on a local road, made a turn, and heard a loud boom. She got out of the car and noticed the entire rear driver side's tire had literally separated from the wheel, with the sidewall still in place.

She didn't hit any potholes, wasn't speeding, wasn't on a freeway. She was on a local road a block from her house, which leads me to believe this could have been a defect with the tire.

I haven't seen the car yet but she says there wasn't any damage to the actual car except for the rear tire well. There also seems to be some scratches on the wheel itself.

I already spoke to the dealer and he wants me to bring in to the service department so they can replace everything there (probably for 5x the amount I can have it done at Mavis). He's telling me to go through insurance as it should be covered.

My question is, should this be covered by warranty? Either Porsche or Michelin's?

I've attached a picture for reference.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:08 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Going to be hard to prove it was a defect and not something on the road, even with that catastrophic of a blow out. I'd still try to though, with both of them, especially Michelin as tires shouldn't complete fail like that.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:59 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Car warranty does not cover this failure, the tire manufacture does, this is the same for all car manufactures in the US. With the manual set you should have a tire warranty card. Not sure what the Michelin will do for you. It looks like maybe the tire was under inflated. If you look at the tread circus you can see on the edge a higher amount of wear. Maybe she picked up a nail and it was slowly loosing air. The TPMS should have gone off at some point even if it was just a few pounds down. Running on a really low tire will cut it like that.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,580 Likes on 4,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Car warranty does not cover this failure, the tire manufacture does, this is the same for all car manufactures in the US. With the manual set you should have a tire warranty card. Not sure what the Michelin will do for you. It looks like maybe the tire was under inflated. If you look at the tread circus you can see on the edge a higher amount of wear. Maybe she picked up a nail and it was slowly loosing air. The TPMS should have gone off at some point even if it was just a few pounds down. Running on a really low tire will cut it like that.
This exactly. The only time I've seen a tire separate and unwrap like like that was from low air pressure after getting a puncture. I'd say inspect the tread surface and see if you can find something that initially punctured it. If you do and have road hazard on the tires as part of the warranty, Michelin should replace it. If you find a puncture source, but don't have road hazard, you're probably out of luck. If you don't find a puncture source then pursue the defective tire avenue.

Happened on my pickup that doesn't have TPMS. That was fun 5 hours from home on a family vacation on a Sunday, especially when I realized the spare didn't fit over the upgraded brake setup - whoops. Now the tire I bought that day is on a 20" rim in the spare tire holder.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:56 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Catastrophic deflation can sag and fold a sidewall like that.
A few hundred feet of rubbing sidewall on sidewall will split and throw a belt off a tire like that.
Good thing it was on the rear. The tires are all new, so you will only have to replace a single tire.
A drag, but doesn’t look like it damaged the fender, or suspension, or steer you into a tree. 🌳
Old 12-20-2020, 03:34 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
In 800 miles? I would guess that it needs to be severely underinflated, the point of tripping the TPMS warnings, to show a lot of outside wear due to underinflation in so few miles (assuming mom isn't isn't hooning in her spare time).
Old 12-20-2020, 04:24 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by runbuh
In 800 miles? I would guess that it needs to be severely underinflated, the point of tripping the TPMS warnings, to show a lot of outside wear due to underinflation in so few miles (assuming mom isn't isn't hooning in her spare time).
Only takes a few miles if severely under inflated. Could have gotten a puncture while driving. There's always the fact that somebody could have ignored the warnings. My mother-in-law did just that with her car, the water pump seized and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. She continued to drive because she had someplace to go, engine seized in a short time.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:07 PM
osdo1990
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 13 Posts

She said there was no TPM that came on. I had driven it the night before and no warning as well.

I put the dummy tire on today, looks like there’s some damage to the rear wall of the car where the tire sits as well as a small hole on the plastic under coating under the driver side rear door. Must have been a massive explosion. Just hope there’s no damage to the suspension.

Will take it to dealer this week to see what the cost to replace the damage. Hoping my comprehensive will cover it.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:38 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Damage will be from the tire carcass slapping the car and not the blow out. I've seen rear quarter panels totally destroyed when a tire let go at the track and was beat by the tire. The fast you are going the worst the damage will be. It will be good to have the detail check the suspension out since something might be compromised, Hopefully it's not bad.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed - Factory Installed Tire Just Blew