Notices
Macan 2014-Current

New GTS... no sport chrono a deal breaker?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 02:19 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts
Default New GTS... no sport chrono a deal breaker?

Would no sport chrono be a deal breaker for you guys? I know can still manually change exhaust on etc but more worried about throttle response. I could care less about launches but still like the idea of the different driving modes and engine mapping. Other than that one spec the build is very nice.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:23 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Not the end of the world, short of launch control it doesn't actually make the vehicle any faster.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,452 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I'm not 100% certain in the Macan, but in the 997.2, the PDK has different shift profiles based on sport or sport plus mode and pretty much sucks in regular mode. If the Macan is the same, yes, that would be a deal breaker. However, a dealership can add the Sport Chrono package to a 997 (except for the useless timer clock) and resolve the lazy shifting issue, so all is not lost if you find a car without it, as long as you can add it. If the Macan is at a dealership, make them adding Sport mode part of the sales deal (Sport Plus if that's an option on the Macan).
Old 11-23-2020, 10:32 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Since you asked, for me personally it would be a deal breaker on a GTS. I have it on mine. It adds an extra ‘sharper’ element to the overall responsiveness and performance of the vehicle. Even though you may not use Sport Plus mode that often, there are times where you’ll wish you had it.

Also keep in mind that SC equipped Macan GTSs add a feature that’s unique to the GTS model in the Macan lineup.... in Sport Plus mode it adds a retuned PTM stability control called Sport ECS Mode. Again it’s exclusive to the GTS and adds a bit more yaw, slip angle leeway before intervening. Will you need/use this often? I doubt it, but it’s cool to have...and if you ever do take it to a track day....

IMO, Sport Chrono should be standard on the Macan GTS like it is on virtually every other GTS model in the Porsche lineup. This is the “enthusiast’s” model after all, per Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyC8 (04-13-2023)
Old 11-23-2020, 11:12 AM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes. For me, no SC is a deal breaker. Why dealers spec GTS without SC is a head scratcher.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:21 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts

A GTS without SC makes no sense. Actually, any Porsche without SC makes no sense and only makes sense if you're buying "so you own a Porsche" and not for the actual car. But in that case you should just buy the base Macan with the appearance options to make it look more expensive.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:15 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Can you retrofit SC on a macan?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:34 PM
Jellybean
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Also keep in mind that SC equipped Macan GTSs add a feature that’s unique to the GTS model in the Macan lineup.... in Sport Plus mode it adds a retuned PTM stability control called Sport ECS Mode. Again it’s exclusive to the GTS and adds a bit more yaw, slip angle leeway before intervening.
well I learned something new tonight. Thanks
Old 11-23-2020, 08:38 PM
Jellybean
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
Yes your dealer can do this for you. Not sure about the cost the dealer will charge. Probably an arm and leg.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU95BSPORT.html

Old 11-23-2020, 08:40 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
You can retrofit the Sport Plus feature, software with the Sport Plus button added to the center console, which is a significant part of the factory installed Sport Chrono Package. It remaps the engine, PDK, suspension/PASM, etc. to more aggressive settings and adds launch control. This has to be dealer installed via PIWIS.

However it doesn’t include the sport chrono/clock and the sport chrono features in the PCM (lap timer/recorder, etc.). So if you do it after the fact, it’s technically not the Sport Chrono Package. In that case you have the Sport Plus feature.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:48 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
A GTS without SC makes no sense. Actually, any Porsche without SC makes no sense and only makes sense if you're buying "so you own a Porsche" and not for the actual car. But in that case you should just buy the base Macan with the appearance options to make it look more expensive.
Really? As a Base owner I'm not sure optioning out the Macan GTS gets you much of anything more than a few less seconds of 0-60 which is barely ever realized in daily driving. By the same token someone with a GT3 RS could say that anyone driving an SUV should just give up and drive a mini van since an SUV isn't a sports car and therefore not a Porsche. Or on the other hand a Golf R with a few with a few mods will easily smoke a Macan GTS.
The following users liked this post:
GrussGott (12-08-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,452 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by GratedWasabi
AActually, any Porsche without SC makes no sense and only makes sense if you're buying "so you own a Porsche" and not for the actual car.
This is kind of an idiotic blanket statement to make, but looking at your post history seems to be your regular MO.

For example, SC in a MT 997.1 pretty much sucks. Makes the throttle way too twitchy to modulate on the limit, revs the motor faster than the hydraulic clutch can engage the friction disc to the flywheel and makes it feel like it's slipping at high rpm full throttle gear shifts, and if you have the PSE exhaust, you have no way to put the exhaust in sport mode without also doing the crappy throttle mapping. About the only thing it's good for is it makes blipping to Rev match easier.

And I ain't the guy that buys Porsches for their status. My cars regularly see triple digits during regular use and I don't like Sport Chrono in my wife's 997 - neither she nor I ever use it. My supercharged 997 doesn't have it, and instead has a RUF supercharger and PSE, which because it doesn't have SC I can control independently.

You need it with any of the 2 pedal transmissions, but not necessarily with MT equipped Porsches.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
GrussGott (12-08-2020), pop.tremuloides (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 03:09 AM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Would no sport chrono be a deal breaker for you guys? I know can still manually change exhaust on etc but more worried about throttle response. I could care less about launches but still like the idea of the different driving modes and engine mapping. Other than that one spec the build is very nice.
It depends on how you will use it!

Personally we optioned our Macan S with every single performance things we could do from the order at the factory and NOT ONCE has my wife noticed a thing!

However, when I drive it, I push it a bit too hard for her liking. Nice to know the options are there but for DD use it makes no difference.

So bottom line....not a deal breaker at all.

Get what you like but also look at what you want for the Macan.

Do "I" regret the way we optioned ours from the factory?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! It is fun! I get the opportunity to drive it like once a month....LOL

People get wrapped around the axle about performance. But in Daily Driving it really makes a minor difference.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't order it on my 2021 GTS and have no regrets. I don't plan to track it or drive it like a bat out of hell. You can drive yourself crazy with Porsche options.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:01 AM
GrussGott
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a deal breaker - it's an SUV daily driver and it's not a sport car, even if you have racing gloves (I'm with Nick Murray on this so please direct all shade his way).

Given that, it's of course a nice to have on a GTS, but would be a skip on an S for me (I'd rather have the compass / off-road thingy)

Quick Reply: New GTS... no sport chrono a deal breaker?