2017 Macan Turbo suspension/handling problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 10:56 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 2017 Macan Turbo suspension/handling problem

Hi all,

I have a 17 turbo with about 25,000km on it and since I got it (CPO car) about 6000km ago, I've had a instability that seems to come from the rear. I had mentioned it to the dealer who checked the car, re0-aligned it and it was a bit better. I then drove two other Macan's (a turbo and a S) and they drove WAY better than mine. I brought it back to the dealer and requested a test drive. They also felt it. I also noticed that the steering is much heavier than the other cars I drove and I have a diff that looks up and skips and low speed/tight corners...more so than my GT3.
The dealer changed the rear shocks, did updates, bulletins and re aligned the car once again. I still feel it however...

Has anyone had this issue? if yes, what is it?
As far as I know the car was not accidental (and no car proof) and the old owner is a good customer of the dealer who leased a new 2020 Macan turbo.
Thanks!
Old 11-17-2020, 09:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,717 Likes on 4,271 Posts

It almost sounds like you have a loose or worn suspension component that's deflecting under load and causing instability in the handling. It might be hard to find this in a static environment as it's difficult to apply the same forces from spirited driving when standing still.

Another thought since you say the steering is off is that maybe you have an issue with the electric power assist or the steering rack itself.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:53 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Does your Macan Turbo have the PTV+ option? The reason I ask is that some Cayennes with that option have had problems with the rear e-diff that comes with that package. Excessive low speed tight turn chatter from the rear diff is one of the symptoms of trouble with the Cayennes. Perhaps in the Macan it could also cause driveability/instability issues as well? Just a thought.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

What do the alignment numbers look like? I agree with Petza914 it sounds like a suspension arm bushing problem. Long ago I had a similar issue with my 993 race car, it ended up being the rubber busing in the rear suspension arm. The car was fine until the suspension was loaded up, then it would basically act like a rubber band snapping and pop the rear. I would also check the suspension mounts, it's always possible that there might be something bent from a pot hole.

For the steering it could be that the other vehicles have power steering plus option, that really boosts the steering at low speeds. I never like the feel because it's way to boosted for me.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:08 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I too feel it's perhaps due to the diff. I am taking it back to the dealer soon and will test drive the car with the tech so he feels whats happening.
They have already changed the rear shocks. I'll keep you posted.
Oh and no, I don;t have the performance turbo pack on it.

Last edited by Chris R.; 11-17-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:26 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Oh and no, I don;t have the performance turbo pack on it.
But do you have the PTV+ option? That was available as a stand alone option. If so, could be the e-diff as mentioned in my earlier post.

In any case, yes the diff is worth having your dealer investigate.

Best of luck with it, please keep us updated.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:42 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
But do you have the PTV+ option? That was available as a stand alone option. If so, could be the e-diff as mentioned in my earlier post.

In any case, yes the diff is worth having your dealer investigate.

Best of luck with it, please keep us updated.
I'm not sure...is there a tell tale sign to know? I don't see it on the build sheet.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

I'm not sure...is there a tell tale sign to know? I don't see it on the build sheet.
If it's not on the build sheet, then you don't have it.

option 1Y1 Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)

here's an example of a turbo with it.
https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP1AF2A59JLB70168/
Old 11-18-2020, 08:26 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B
If it's not on the build sheet, then you don't have it.

option 1Y1 Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)

here's an example of a turbo with it.
https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP1AF2A59JLB70168/

My car doesn't have that.
So, I installed my 19" winter wheels along with new Blizzak's on them yesterday and the problem of instability is significantly better (gone?). Maybe it was tire related...broken belt in one of the 21" tires? I only drove it a short distance so we will see what happens in the next day or so.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:34 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

My car doesn't have that.
So, I installed my 19" winter wheels along with new Blizzak's on them yesterday and the problem of instability is significantly better (gone?). Maybe it was tire related...broken belt in one of the 21" tires? I only drove it a short distance so we will see what happens in the next day or so.
Or a bent rim is also a possibility.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:25 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

So a little update:
Rear shocks changed, all updates and bulletins done. Alignment done. Still doing the same.
THEN, i changed out my 21" wheels and tires for new 19" Blizzak's on OEM 19" wheels and all of the sudden the truck drives perfectly! No rims are bent but perhaps one (or more?) tires has an issue (broken belt?). So for now it's great and I finally really like the car!
Old 12-01-2020, 08:24 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

What kind of machine are they balancing the wheels with? An out of round wheel may still balance up fine.
A road force balancer reads out of round. inside barrel could have a wobble in it.
My STi, 17's drove bumpy, balance up fine, but Roadforce machine found two crooked barrels.
Montreal? You don't have roads, you have a series of repairs, put together and they call it a road or ROUTE.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:09 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Concur. The Hunter RoadForce balancer can expose most tire/wheel issues. If they don't have it, to prove out the hypothesis, see if the dealer has a used Macan on the lot with 21 inch wheels and tires. Ask them to put the rear wheels on your Macan and see what happens.

Quick Reply: 2017 Macan Turbo suspension/handling problem