Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Underwhelmed: 2020 Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 06:04 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

You're making a big mess between turbo lag and the new PDK logic. In the new Macans, when driving quietly in normal mode, the PDK engages the longest gears to save fuel and proceed smoothly. Everything changes by pressing the accelerator or entering the Sport or Sport plus modes. You must learn to guide them.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:57 PM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nemo06
You're making a big mess between turbo lag and the new PDK logic. In the new Macans, when driving quietly in normal mode, the PDK engages the longest gears to save fuel and proceed smoothly. Everything changes by pressing the accelerator or entering the Sport or Sport plus modes. You must learn to guide them.
I have owned a Macan since the first year they existed. I am on my 3rd one (2nd turbo, one GTS). I know how to drive them. This one does not cut it. The lag is unacceptable.

I also have a 992. It’s also twin turbo without perceptible lag. MACAN T- For me- FAIL.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:58 PM
2021Macan
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by twospyders
I have owned a Macan since the first year they existed. I am on my 3rd one (2nd turbo, one GTS). I know how to drive them. This one does not cut it. The lag is unacceptable.
Maybe, just maybe, you should have realized this before you agreed to buy it?
Old 12-08-2020, 03:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,583 Likes on 4,187 Posts

I also have a 992. It’s also twin turbo without perceptible lag. MACAN T- For me- FAIL.
So, this is interesting. Were either of the 2 previous Macans turbocharged or is this the first one now that they've gone to all turbos? If one of the prior ones was also a Turbo, is something different with the new one to the previous one where the new one seems to have more lag than the prior one?

Turbos are being used very widespread now primarily to keep displacements low but still make necessary HP all in the interest of fuel economy. You wouldn't be the first to realize you don't like the experience of a small displacement turbo engine vs a larger displacement NA engine. Just look at what they did with the Boxster lineup where they were always NA 6 cylinders, then the 718 came along with a turbo 4 that no one particularly liked, and the sporty versions of the newer ones are now back to a larger NA engine - a 4.0L at that.

I have a mix of NA, supercharged, and one turbo car. The turbo is a family vacation hauler so very easy to downshift once and with the tune and mods, have very little if any boost lag, but otherwise, a supercharger with no lag and the impeller driven by the crankshaft pulley feels like a larger displacement NA engine. Not sure if anyone makes a supercharged version of an SUV you'd be interested in, but I'd suggest driving one of those to feel the difference. There are quite a few SUV and trucks that have this setup now, either from the manufacturer or from the aftermarket (companies like Hennessey).
Old 12-08-2020, 04:14 PM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2021Macan
Maybe, just maybe, you should have realized this before you agreed to buy it?
No. I couldn’t test drive a Turbo. I was happy with my previous ones. As it was- because of Covid delays the car was 4 months late.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:19 PM
twospyders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
So, this is interesting. Were either of the 2 previous Macans turbocharged or is this the first one now that they've gone to all turbos? If one of the prior ones was also a Turbo, is something different with the new one to the previous one where the new one seems to have more lag than the prior one?

Turbos are being used very widespread now primarily to keep displacements low but still make necessary HP all in the interest of fuel economy. You wouldn't be the first to realize you don't like the experience of a small displacement turbo engine vs a larger displacement NA engine. Just look at what they did with the Boxster lineup where they were always NA 6 cylinders, then the 718 came along with a turbo 4 that no one particularly liked, and the sporty versions of the newer ones are now back to a larger NA engine - a 4.0L at that.

I have a mix of NA, supercharged, and one turbo car. The turbo is a family vacation hauler so very easy to downshift once and with the tune and mods, have very little if any boost lag, but otherwise, a supercharger with no lag and the impeller driven by the crankshaft pulley feels like a larger displacement NA engine. Not sure if anyone makes a supercharged version of an SUV you'd be interested in, but I'd suggest driving one of those to feel the difference. There are quite a few SUV and trucks that have this setup now, either from the manufacturer or from the aftermarket (companies like Hennessey).
Since the car was introduced in 2015- all models are turbo charged. I have previously owned a Turbo and a GTS. In 2020, Porsche changed the engine. I don’t like it.

I will test drive the Cayenne Turbo (larger engine) and see how it compares. Audi has an up coming RS8 and the there is always the performance version of the Alpha Romeo.
The following users liked this post:
Loud223 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 04:50 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Since the car was introduced in 2015- all models are turbo charged. I have previously owned a Turbo and a GTS. In 2020, Porsche changed the engine. I don’t like it.

I will test drive the Cayenne Turbo (larger engine) and see how it compares. Audi has an up coming RS8 and the there is always the performance version of the Alpha Romeo.
Having now had a chance to try both, I do think the S model feels quicker from a standstill than the GTS, and the Turbo seems like it could be even worse in that respect. If you have a chance to evaluate the single-turbo 3.0L engine, it would be interesting to hear what you think. It won't be competitive with your current Turbo once the boost comes up, of course.
twospyders (12-08-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 556 Posts

Locking my build next week. I wonder if this option is a reduced cell/inch cat. Like the 100 cell/inch $4500 Europipe exhaust on my 997 TT. Which seems to reduce turbo lag, could be just a subjective impression.

Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Black
Includes:
  • Modified mufflers
  • Distinctive twin dual-tube tailpipes in High Gloss Silver

Old 12-09-2020, 10:54 AM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

My guess is that option gives a more powerful sound, but not more power or response. If you want high flow cats today, you probably have to go to the aftermarket.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pbon
My guess is that option gives a more powerful sound, but not more power or response. If you want high flow cats today, you probably have to go to the aftermarket.
Thanks pbon, will ask the dealer sales guy tomorrow.
Kayze (12-10-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pbon
Agree. Doubt any manufacturer can offer a higher flow or less effective cat, especially one like Porsche currently that's under scrutiny from the prior emissions scandals.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:03 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Dealer salesman confirmed it is just sound, no extra performance.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:41 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I am on my 3rd Macan (Turbo, GTS, Turbo). Well optioned- beautiful SUV. I also purchased a Taycan the same day. The Taycan is so good that the Macan feels dated. The Turbo lag feels more pronounced now because of the instant response of the electric Taycan. Totally ruined my experience. I don’t think I’ll ever buy another turbo charged ICE car.

In fact, I don’t see ordering another Turbo car ever again (except I already have another Turbo car on order for my wife). I presume that will be a disappointment too.

Prediction: History will not be fond of Turbo cars (unless they’re electric- what a dumb naming move by Porsche).
This is why I won't test drive an electric car. I just KNOW it will be amazing. My problem is that I thrive taking extensive road trips - and I've seen the charging options in the rural areas of the US... or rather NOT seen. If I drove a Taycan I might never buy an ICE vehicle again, and then I'd be planning my trips around which places I can charge the thing. The day will come, though, when ICE is completely over. Just not quite there yet.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:51 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
This is why I won't test drive an electric car. I just KNOW it will be amazing.
A while back I had the opportunity to take an extended test drive of a Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous, and it was amazing in terms of it’s standing start acceleration. But I suspect once the novelty of the mega torque hit off the line wears off, you’re still left with a really good overall car, but just nothing really special when compared to all the other nice ICE powered choices out there. I’m guessing the same holds true for the Taycan or other performance oriented electrics.

Now if one’s motivation to own and drive electric extends beyond just the acceleration factor that they offer, that’s fine and I get it. But for me as a performance enthusiast, my general thoughts about it are what I stated above. Again, very very nice vehicle, but nothing that really sets them apart from all the other fine choices (apart from the blistering launch). This is not to say I wouldn’t own an electric performance vehicle one day, just pointing out that the ‘launch’ is the main thing that sets them apart right now for me anyway. I assume there also might be reduced overall maintenance costs with an electric? Again, just my two cents.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Think about when you're outside somewhere and hear a piped mustang v8 really get on it. My son and I just look at each other and smile. That moment at some time in the not too distant future will never occur for him and his son - that's just sad.

There's nothing exciting about a silent whirr and cars that drive themselves, no matter what the numbers say.

Quick Reply: Underwhelmed: 2020 Macan Turbo