Macan 2014-Current

Who here has the PSCB brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 01:14 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
"Life" of the vehicle. They do not last forever.
Agree but they should last 100K miles, for the average macan, that would be the 3rd or 4th owners issue and by then most have depreciated massively already. When we traded our 2015 turbo in at 50K miles this year, it was one higher mileage than most and we had done one brake change at 30K miles. So if I assume that the PSCB last 30% longer, that would mean a brake change at 40K miles which is more than the cost of the upgrade to the PCCB. At least for us as the first owner, we will never need to worry about a brake change for as long as we will own it,
Old 07-21-2020, 01:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,582 Likes on 4,186 Posts

"Life" of the vehicle. They do not last forever.
My 928 is a 79 and my 914 a 74. I'll take "Life of the vehicle".

Actually, from everything I read prior to buying my first Porsche that had pccb brakes as a possibility, it was something I was avoiding for the reasons you mention and my silver 997 had big red brakes. Then when we found my wife's 997 it had PCCBs. She ended up wanting my wheels and they wouldn't clear the front pccb calipers, so I swapped the sets of brakes between the two cars, and absolutely love the PCCBs and wouldn't go back. I see her jealousy when she looks at her dirty wheels and my clean ones, but they're a better fit and match on my RUF car than they were on hers.

Also, if you have a pccb rotor problem you can always replace them with steel discs at regular brake prices, so why not enjoy them for as long as they last, who h might be as long as you own the car, then dumb them back to regular brakes if need be.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:09 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
My 928 is a 79 and my 914 a 74. I'll take "Life of the vehicle".

Actually, from everything I read prior to buying my first Porsche that had pccb brakes as a possibility, it was something I was avoiding for the reasons you mention and my silver 997 had big red brakes. Then when we found my wife's 997 it had PCCBs. She ended up wanting my wheels and they wouldn't clear the front pccb calipers, so I swapped the sets of brakes between the two cars, and absolutely love the PCCBs and wouldn't go back. I see her jealousy when she looks at her dirty wheels and my clean ones, but they're a better fit and match on my RUF car than they were on hers.

Also, if you have a pccb rotor problem you can always replace them with steel discs at regular brake prices, so why not enjoy them for as long as they last, who h might be as long as you own the car, then dumb them back to regular brakes if need be.
I meant the brakes lasting the life of the vehicle...I highly doubt if your 928 or 914 came with PCCB's back then that you'd still be on original hardware now.

Also, I think they make a lot more sense on the 911 where you're into a high price bracket and typically not daily driven vehicle like the Macan is. I could easily see myself doing PCCB's if I was ordering a decent spec 992 tomorrow knowing I could own the vehicle for 20 years and never put more than 100k on it.

When swapping back to regular steel it's not just the rotors, you need to do calipers/pads too. Although it is an option, it's why on a Porsche SUV, especially the more run of the mill daily driven Macan, I'd never opt for PCCB both new or used.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I meant the brakes lasting the life of the vehicle...I highly doubt if your 928 or 914 came with PCCB's back then that you'd still be on original hardware now.

Also, I think they make a lot more sense on the 911 where you're into a high price bracket and typically not daily driven vehicle like the Macan is. I could easily see myself doing PCCB's if I was ordering a decent spec 992 tomorrow knowing I could own the vehicle for 20 years and never put more than 100k on it.

When swapping back to regular steel it's not just the rotors, you need to do calipers/pads too. Although it is an option, it's why on a Porsche SUV, especially the more run of the mill daily driven Macan, I'd never opt for PCCB both new or used.
To swap them, you need to do rotors and pads, not calipers. You can get non-oem nice, slotted 2-piece rotors from companies like Girodisc or dba (disc brakes Australia) that have the same diameter and thickness as the PCCB rotors so they work with the PCCB calipers. In most if not all cases, thats also a braking upgrade from stock as the PCCB front rotors are usually larger than the steel counterparts and often have 2 more pistons in them s,o a 6-piston caliper instead of a 4-piston. You also get greater swept pad area, a larger heat sink, so less brake fade, stronger brakes, and a larger 2 piece rotor with aluminum hat is still probably lighter than the OEM 1-piece all steel rotor.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:15 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I like them in principle. But really, I would be scared of them, due to cost of replacement.
i just did a quick search over on BaT. I seem to remember a Cayene .... 4 ish years old needing new PSCB and the car trading 15k under market?
I couldn't find the car though. And I could be wrong too.

Petza914 - You are highly skilled and knowledgeable... But some just send off their cars to be repaired.

Of the above PSCB brakes users. How many love them, and actually own the car, vs love the PSCB's and are leasing/renting.

I have more time than money. If I did have those expensive brakes, I would be shopping for used parts.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:35 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 711 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
I think PCCBs will devalue a vehicle that has them.

Keep in mind that upgrade $ is the difference between the standard brakes and not replacement cost, which will likely be around $7000.

In ten years, who is going to want to buy a used Macan with an impending repair cost like that?

As buyers catch on, so will dealers and the cost will build itself in accordingly.
I watched a video that priced out the PCCB rotors, callipers, pads at $30,000 for a 911. No thank you. I agree the value of the vehicle drops with that repair bill on the used car horizon. The GTS with "S" standard brakes worked just fine and this vehicle isn't a race car.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:25 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Actually, unless you're sponsored, you don't really want to run them on a race car - that significantly shortens their life even though that's where they were made to excel. Compare photos of PCCB rotors that were tracked vs street driven ones and you'll see what I mean. The rotor surface is no longer shiny and uniform and has some dark areas in it and you can see the wear buttons starting to show. For us normal guys, tracking a car means swapping the PCCBs to steel rotors and different pads for the track days, which is made really easy by the addition of a stainless caliper mounting stud kit. With that you only screw the studs into the aluminum caliper carrier once and the rest of the swaps are done by removing and reinstalling the 12-point nut from the stainless stud. Also makes caliper realignment really easy.

On the used car market, there is no downside to buying a PCCB equipped Porsche. Use it as long as the PCCBs last (which may be as long as you own it) and swap to steel rotors if they ever fail instead of replacing the ceramics. This way you end up with Awesome for some period of time, then Great afterwards. Awesome may last forever or maybe not, but some Awesome followed by some Great is still better than Great only.

Honestly, the only people I know that don't like PCCBs are racers who used them on the track and then had to replace them, or people who have never driven a Porsche with them.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Honestly, the only people I know that don't like PCCBs are racers who used them on the track and then had to replace them, or people who have never driven a Porsche with them.
Or the great misfortune of PCCBs owners that have been the victim of a careless tire change resulting in a chipped rotor (ceramic rotors do not take side impacts well at all).
Old 07-23-2020, 01:53 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
(ceramic rotors do not take side impacts well at all).
100% true. It's why 2 guide pins are specified to be used during wheel removal. If you're someone that takes your car to the corner garage or chain tire store for wheel off work, they're not for you. When I need tires I remove my wheels and take them to the tire store, then reinstall at home and hand torque properly.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:59 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

100% true. It's why 2 guide pins are specified to be used during wheel removal. If you're someone that takes your car to the corner garage or chain tire store for wheel off work, they're not for you. When I need tires I remove my wheels and take them to the tire store, then reinstall at home and hand torque properly.
Agree, i am the same as you, safer that way to make sure they don't over torque the lug nuts as well.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:44 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

This video makes me rather excited about PSCB....no brake dust sounds great. Like others, I'm concerned about replacement cost...only time will tell on durability.

Quick Reply: Who here has the PSCB brakes?