Macan 2014-Current

Who here has the PSCB brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 10:24 PM
SillyGoose
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Who here has the PSCB brakes?

Care to share your thoughts and opinions on them?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:56 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

Will watch this with interest as I'd be tempted to get them if I order a new GTS next winter. A good friend has them on his newer Cayenne and likes them. No complaints. Had to wait quite a while to get the car as they slowed down his order.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:54 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SillyGoose
Care to share your thoughts and opinions on them?
Have you checked out the PSCB threads in the Cayenne 9Y0 forum? Lots of info there.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:31 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,583 Likes on 4,187 Posts

Curious about this for curiosity sake, but I'm of the opinion that PCCBs are so good and well proven - why dabble with something different that likely will have some downside. My primary concern would be the ceramic delaminating from the base rotor material over time, and if I remember correctly, the PCSB is priced about mid-way between the stock steel brakes and the PCCBs. PCCBs are usually about an $8,000 upgrade so figure PCSBs are a $4,000 upgrade. Over the life of the vehicle, a $4,000 difference isn't all that much either in the payment on a low interest 5 year car loan, a lease payment, or in depreciation if you keep your vehicles longer than that.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:09 AM
anselmw
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Curious about this for curiosity sake, but I'm of the opinion that PCCBs are so good and well proven - why dabble with something different that likely will have some downside. My primary concern would be the ceramic delaminating from the base rotor material over time, and if I remember correctly, the PCSB is priced about mid-way between the stock steel brakes and the PCCBs. PCCBs are usually about an $8,000 upgrade so figure PCSBs are a $4,000 upgrade. Over the life of the vehicle, a $4,000 difference isn't all that much either in the payment on a low interest 5 year car loan, a lease payment, or in depreciation if you keep your vehicles longer than that.
The turbo comes standard with the PSCB. We opted to get the PCCB as they were only 4750 more. If you look at the pscb, they are rated to last 30% longer than steels. Which means you need to replace them over the typical 4 to 5 year ownership while PCCB should last a lot longer. Costs to replace the pscb is alot more than steels... Just noticed on the 2021 configurator, PCCB are no longer an option?
Old 07-20-2020, 08:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anselmw
... Just noticed on the 2021 configurator, PCCB are no longer an option?
Guess I won't ever be looking at a Macan newer than a 2020 then.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:17 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

I think PCCBs will devalue a vehicle that has them.

Keep in mind that upgrade $ is the difference between the standard brakes and not replacement cost, which will likely be around $7000.

In ten years, who is going to want to buy a used Macan with an impending repair cost like that?

As buyers catch on, so will dealers and the cost will build itself in accordingly.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OliverK68

Keep in mind that upgrade $ is the difference between the standard brakes and not replacement cost, which will likely be around $7000.

In ten years, who is going to want to buy a used Macan with an impending repair cost like that?

As buyers catch on, so will dealers and the cost will build itself in accordingly.
The PCCB rotors on my 997 have 60k miles on them and look like they were just installed. Unless they're used on a racetrack or damaged during a service, I believe they will last the life of the vehicle. I did a retrofit of a set on my 957 CTTS and expect the same result there.

If the PCSBs are less expensive and the same size, there's no reason someone couldn't opt for the PCSB rotors and appropriate pads to replace their PCCBs if they wear out.

Based on the zero dust factor, super long service life, never warping, unbelievable performance (especially when hot), I won't buy another Porsche without them.

In the lower Cayenne photo, that car hasn't been washed since returning from a round trip from SC to Panama City, FL (1,000 mile round trip or so) and the front wheels look that clean. That alone is worth the price of admission.

The following users liked this post:
MM3.9GT3 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 10:54 AM
anselmw
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
The PCCB rotors on my 997 have 60k miles on them and look like they were just installed. Unless they're used on a racetrack or damaged during a service, I believe they will last the life of the vehicle. I did a retrofit of a set on my 957 CTTS and expect the same result there.

If the PCSBs are less expensive and the same size, there's no reason someone couldn't opt for the PCSB rotors and appropriate pads to replace their PCCBs if they wear out.

Based on the zero dust factor, super long service life, never warping, unbelievable performance (especially when hot), I won't buy another Porsche without them.

In the lower Cayenne photo, that car hasn't been washed since returning from a round trip from SC to Panama City, FL (1,000 mile round trip or so) and the front wheels look that clean. That alone is worth the price of admission.

I agree, the PCCB should last the life of the vehicle, where as the PSCB says 30% longer. Not sure if anyone has looked up the replacement price for PSCB, they are significantly more than you would think. Previous turbo steel brakes was about $1K for rotors and pads. For PSCB it is $6500. If you plan to own a turbo for 5 years or longer with average miles, you will definitely be replacing the brakes whereas the PCCB will still be good. To me worth the 4750 price to upgrade..
Old 07-20-2020, 11:50 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by OliverK68

Enthusiasts looking for that unique build with PCCBs.

And in general, I wouldn't think the PCCB option will necessarily devalue a vehicle, but it just might not add very much tangible value to the overall value of the vehicle in the general marketplace. But when marketed to Porsche enthusiasts, it could be a different story.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:26 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Enthusiasts looking for that unique build with PCCBs.

And in general, I wouldn't think the PCCB option will necessarily devalue a vehicle, but it just might not add very much tangible value to the overall value of the vehicle in the general marketplace. But when marketed to Porsche enthusiasts, it could be a different story.
PCCB on a 911 or Cayman/Boxster sure...but on a used Macan? Most people would keep on shopping unless the mileage was very low, not something I'd want to have to consider replacing.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:19 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
PCCB on a 911 or Cayman/Boxster sure...but on a used Macan? Most people would keep on shopping unless the mileage was very low, not something I'd want to have to consider replacing.
You’d probably say the same about the Cayenne then too, but I assure you that used Cayennes with PCCBs generally go quickly! Plenty of enthusiasts out there looking for that stuff.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:42 PM
anselmw
Racer

So why would you not want PCCB? One huge benefit is that you don't need to replace brakes for the life of the vehicle? PSCB dont last the that much longer than steels and is 4500 bucks just in parts.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:50 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
You’d probably say the same about the Cayenne then too, but I assure you that used Cayennes with PCCBs generally go quickly! Plenty of enthusiasts out there looking for that stuff.
It's somewhat relative to purchase price too...a Cayenne Turbo the PCCB's are a smaller percentage than on a Macan S for instance. You have to remember the enthusiasts and members of this site don't represent the average Porsche SUV buyer. There will be people out there that want them yes, but most don't want the costs associated with them.

Originally Posted by anselmw
So why would you not want PCCB? One huge benefit is that you don't need to replace brakes for the life of the vehicle? PSCB dont last the that much longer than steels and is 4500 bucks just in parts.
"Life" of the vehicle. They do not last forever.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:06 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

It's somewhat relative to purchase price too...a Cayenne Turbo the PCCB's are a smaller percentage than on a Macan S for instance. You have to remember the enthusiasts and members of this site don't represent the average Porsche SUV buyer. There will be people out there that want them yes, but most don't want the costs associated with them.
With the small percentage of PCCBs out there on any Porsche SUV model compared to overall production, there will always be plenty of enthusiasts to buy them up, even though we represent a fraction of the overall Porsche SUV buying public.

As for overall maintenance and repair costs, for anyone REALLY bothered by above average costs, they really shouldn’t be looking at Porsche to begin with (or any other German make). Otherwise enjoy ownership during the warranty period, then bail out when it’s expired (unless you’re the hard core DYI type). That’s just the way it is.

Quick Reply: Who here has the PSCB brakes?