Macan 2014-Current

PCM Reboot Fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 03:14 PM
DrShafty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Reboot Fault

Been discussed elsewhere I know. I believe the XM free weekend push corrupted many Porsche head units.

Did the 'hand over' reset, worked for a day and then back to 3 minute reboot cycle. Dealer says, PCM needs replaced. Then, no PCMs in the states, no known date of availability.

Anyone else get this from their dealer?

a little pissed off in Flagstaff
Old 06-11-2020, 05:34 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

Make sure to do a "soft" reboot first (hold "INFO" for 10 seconds), then do the handover reset, and finally log in to Sirius/XM and send a refresh signal to your car.

That's what I did and it worked without ever coming back.

Worth a try since PCM's are all on back-order now due to this fiasco apparently.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:36 PM
DrShafty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
Make sure to do a "soft" reboot first (hold "INFO" for 10 seconds), then do the handover reset, and finally log in to Sirius/XM and send a refresh signal to your car.

That's what I did and it worked without ever coming back.

Worth a try since PCM's are all on back-order now due to this fiasco apparently.
Yah.

Did the soft reboot, hand over reset, factory reset, sat out in a field, had XM send refresh, rubbed it with virgin olive oil. No joy.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:49 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

The only other thing you might try that I did was pull the fuse for the PCM for a few hours before doing the resets. I pulled mine when it was constantly re-booting and didn't get around to trying the "fix" until the next day.

And lol on the Virgin olive oil.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:59 PM
Nein_11
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Try deleting all phones from PCM and turn Bluetooth off. Reset the PCM and then turn Bluetooth back on. This worked for me two weeks ago and no issues since.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:56 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,397 Posts

The most radical but best approach IMHO is to short the battery cables for about 40 seconds checking that no lights are on in the cabin and that your clock reset to noon/midday. That will drain all capacitors and RAM. Make sure you don't touch the posts of course and to bridge the gap an extension bar works well. HTH

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 06-12-2020, 02:31 PM
DrShafty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by siberian
The most radical but best approach IMHO is to short the battery cables for about 40 seconds checking that no lights are on in the cabin and that your clock reset to noon/midday. That will drain all capacitors and RAM. Make sure you don't touch the posts of course and to bridge the gap an extension bar works well. HTH

siberian

OK, that's the most interesting suggestion I've read so far.
The MTT is sleeping quietly in the garage as I find it undriveable for now. The reboot happens even when the PCM is turned off competely.
When you say, short the battery cables are you saying, disconnect the battery + and - cables, and then touch them together?
thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:56 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, under NO circumstances short the battery posts.

* Disconnect the battery cables (simply loosen the nut to be able to remove the cable; DO NOT attempt to remove the nut as you will be in a world of hurt if you do),

* Ensure that whilst shorting the two cables they do not touch or could potentially come in contact with the battery itself,

* Get an extension bar (ensure it's electrically conductive by using an ohmmeter) and short the two cables for 40 seconds or so. Whilst you're doing that and to be sure that you are totally disconnected, see if any lights are on in the vehicle and once done, that the clock reset itself to noon.

* Reconnect the cables

I hope that helps.. Let me know if you need more info.

siberian

The following users liked this post:
jbx2 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 12:27 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

No need to touch the cables. Just disconnect the positive terminal and wait 2-3 minutes and reconnect, if you want open a door. There will be no voltage left in the vehicle.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:37 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You need to drain the capacitors. Disconnecting the battery alone doesn't do that unless you want to disconnect the battery for a week..

siberian

Old 06-13-2020, 09:30 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

You need to drain the capacitors. Disconnecting the battery alone doesn't do that unless you want to disconnect the battery for a week..

siberian

Opening a door draws the capacitors, turning the key, etc. Put a volt meter on the leads there wont be any voltage.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:08 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK, I suppose they tell you to disconnect the battery leads for 20 minutes before working on airbags because...? The leads will not have voltage but the capacitors will still hold charge. Opening the door does draw down capacitors, but which ones? To ensure you reach all of them since we don't know which ones are affecting this issue, short the leads.

But hey, whatever, we each have our way of working on things. I know I wouldn't work on an airbag after 2 or 3 minutes from having disconnected the leads and I've worked on a few of them (reverse engineering heated steering wheels...).

siberian

Old 06-13-2020, 12:45 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

OK, I suppose they tell you to disconnect the battery leads for 20 minutes before working on airbags because...? The leads will not have voltage but the capacitors will still hold charge. Opening the door does draw down capacitors, but which ones? To ensure you reach all of them since we don't know which ones are affecting this issue, short the leads.

But hey, whatever, we each have our way of working on things. I know I wouldn't work on an airbag after 2 or 3 minutes from having disconnected the leads and I've worked on a few of them (reverse engineering heated steering wheels...).

siberian

This thread was talking about resetting the PCM. For that you don't need to goto the extreme of disconnecting both terminals and shorting out the leads. Even then you won't drain everything in the car by doing that, due to the switch circuits. Airbags are a totally different ball game, just like a CRT.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:59 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Like I mentioned everyone has their way of doing things.

siberian

Old 06-14-2020, 01:08 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes, under NO circumstances short the battery posts.

* Disconnect the battery cables (simply loosen the nut to be able to remove the cable; DO NOT attempt to remove the nut as you will be in a world of hurt if you do),

* Ensure that whilst shorting the two cables they do not touch or could potentially come in contact with the battery itself,

* Get an extension bar (ensure it's electrically conductive by using an ohmmeter) and short the two cables for 40 seconds or so. Whilst you're doing that and to be sure that you are totally disconnected, see if any lights are on in the vehicle and once done, that the clock reset itself to noon.

* Reconnect the cables

I hope that helps.. Let me know if you need more info.

siberian

In order to ensure everyone is/was paying attention - DISCONNECT BOTH BATTERY CABLES BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS PROCEDURE!!!

REMEMBER
, after both cables are disconnected, you may connect them together in order to drain capacitors.

Any attempt to short across the battery terminals directly will result in the conductor arc welded (not good!!!) to the battery's posts - and a possible explosion!!!

Be CAREFUL!!!

Quick Reply: PCM Reboot Fault