Notices
Macan 2014-Current

2015 Macan S with water INSIDE the lift gate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 09:08 PM
michael_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Macan S with water INSIDE the lift gate?

Hey gurus,

Our 2015 Macan has a substantial quantity of water sloshing around INSIDE the rear lift gate after a heavy rain. Happens while the car is sitting still, doesn't have to be driving. I searched and found a few instances of this, but can't determine where it is coming form.

At first I thought maybe it was just water that ran down into the lift gate struts because the sleeves are oriented up such that water could theoretically slide in, but it has to be entering from somewhere else. There are no sunroof drain holes pointing that direction and the rear wiper appears to be quite well seated. Today we pulled the two plastic plugs at the bottom of the lift gate and a good quart or two of water poured out from last night's rain. Totally unacceptable.

My thought is it is likely entering through the rear windshield somewhere, and I seem to have found what appears to be a service bulletin regarding this, but I was only able to find that on the Macan UK site.

There doesn't appear to be any obvious area of entry, the third brake light appears well seated as well as the rear wiper, but it's got to be coming from somewhere. There is no body connection from the rear lift gate to the sunroof drains, so it's not that water entry problem of clogged drains.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2020, 01:01 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Wasn't there an issue with the rear hatch washer on some of the early model Macans?

Perhaps the washer line is leaking?

Old 06-07-2020, 02:00 PM
michael_l
Instructor

Originally Posted by PSEE
Wasn't there an issue with the rear hatch washer on some of the early model Macans?

Perhaps the washer line is leaking?
it’s a 2015 /new to us so could be one of the early ones - but unfortunately it’s much more than washer fluid and coincides with rain storms. Definitely rain water intrusion.

Any one else have this happen to theirs?

Michael
Old 06-07-2020, 07:05 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Mine's a '15 Turbo. So far no water. I recently had the rear hatch open do do a taillight swap and install the Niche module.

There are two inner panels - the upper left & right are all one that also goes along the top of the lid. The lower is a separate panel.

The sunroof drain lines are located forward of the hatch. Maybe if one or both were clogged the water would look for an exit and
end up inside the lid?

Here's a drawing illustrating the drain lines:

Maybe you could use a small watering can and try pouring some water into the rear part of the sunroof channel and verify that is
does exit near the rear tire? If it doesn't, then that may be the root cause of the anomaly.

Good uck!

The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (06-11-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 12:26 AM
michael_l
Instructor

Originally Posted by PSEE
Mine's a '15 Turbo. So far no water. I recently had the rear hatch open do do a taillight swap and install the Niche module.

There are two inner panels - the upper left & right are all one that also goes along the top of the lid. The lower is a separate panel.

The sunroof drain lines are located forward of the hatch. Maybe if one or both were clogged the water would look for an exit and
end up inside the lid?

Here's a drawing illustrating the drain lines:

Maybe you could use a small watering can and try pouring some water into the rear part of the sunroof channel and verify that is
does exit near the rear tire? If it doesn't, then that may be the root cause of the anomaly.

Good uck!

The diagram is nice / helpful as is the idea to go out there with water and pour it down the roof and see where it's going. Maybe it's not going down the drain as it's supposed to and thus flowing back along the roofline to the hatch where it isn't supposed to?

The red circles indicate the plugs I pulled to drain the water. It's literally a nalgene 32ounces amount of water that came out.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:24 PM
critchie
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a Technical Service Bulletin on this. Porsche should fix it for free. Have the dealer reference Campaign WF47.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:57 AM
michael_l
Instructor

Originally Posted by critchie
There was a Technical Service Bulletin on this. Porsche should fix it for free. Have the dealer reference Campaign WF47.
Thank you!

I’m away for work for another week but I’ll be scheduling the service. Thank you for the TSB point out!

Michael
Old 06-12-2020, 03:15 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

naked gate.

Quick Reply: 2015 Macan S with water INSIDE the lift gate?