Macan 2014-Current

Transfer Case....Again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 10:19 AM
Snap Oversteer
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transfer Case....Again?

In April 2016, we purchased a 2017 Macan S, and loved every minute of driving it. Then, in Dec 2018, I noticed oil on the garage floor, and the dealership replaced both valve cover gaskets. This resolved the oil issue, but then three months later in March, I noticed the now well-known transfer case issue. The dealership replaced the transfer case and installed a new vibration damper. Problem solved, or so I thought.
Fast forward to last month -- time for new tires, so I had the dealership mount new Pirelli Scorpion Verde's. Along with that, I did a 40k service, which included a PDK flush and refill. Very shortly after, on a long drive, we noticed what seemed to be the same transfer case symptoms -- a stuttering and clunking from a stop through 1st and 2nd gear. At first, I thought it might be the new tires needing a break-in, but after several hundred miles on the tires, I'm doubtful that's the issue. Looking at the dealer invoice for the transfer case repair, the part numbers for the old and new transfer case are the exact same (95B-341-010-X). My understanding is that there is an updated transfer case -- anyone know what the part number is for the update? Has anyone experienced double transfer case failures? Or is there an issue with the PDK service (not enough fluid)?
As much as we love the car, we're really starting to wonder if we should keep it past the warranty period, which expires May 2020. The valve cover and transfer case repairs would have cost us thousands of dollars had this vehicle been out of warranty. Any info or advice appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Snap Oversteer; 11-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pop.tremuloides (07-13-2020)
Old 11-22-2019, 11:10 AM
Snap Oversteer
Track Day

Just found the thread on the transfer case part number. Looks like they simply replaced the old transfer case with a new, non-updated (or worse, remanufactured) part.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Can you point me at the thread?

I'm going in for a transfer case the first week of December, and want to make sure they get the revised PN, if available.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:01 PM
Snap Oversteer
Track Day

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...sfer-case.html
The following users liked this post:
Draper (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 02:02 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You want A or AX
Old 12-13-2019, 02:48 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Had my transfer case replaced last week, and I have to say it drives like a totally different car. Smoother in stop-n-go traffic, smoother when accelerating, and of course the grabbiness when turning at low speeds is gone.

I think it's one of those things where you don't really know how bad it is until it's fixed.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:15 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Snap Oversteer
In April 2016, we purchased a 2017 Macan S, and loved every minute of driving it. Then, in Dec 2018, I noticed oil on the garage floor, and the dealership replaced both valve cover gaskets. This resolved the oil issue, but then three months later in March, I noticed the now well-known transfer case issue. The dealership replaced the transfer case and installed a new vibration damper. Problem solved, or so I thought.
Fast forward to last month -- time for new tires, so I had the dealership mount new Pirelli Scorpion Verde's. Along with that, I did a 40k service, which included a PDK flush and refill. Very shortly after, on a long drive, we noticed what seemed to be the same transfer case symptoms -- a stuttering and clunking from a stop through 1st and 2nd gear. At first, I thought it might be the new tires needing a break-in, but after several hundred miles on the tires, I'm doubtful that's the issue. Looking at the dealer invoice for the transfer case repair, the part numbers for the old and new transfer case are the exact same (95B-341-010-X). My understanding is that there is an updated transfer case -- anyone know what the part number is for the update? Has anyone experienced double transfer case failures? Or is there an issue with the PDK service (not enough fluid)?
As much as we love the car, we're really starting to wonder if we should keep it past the warranty period, which expires May 2020. The valve cover and transfer case repairs would have cost us thousands of dollars had this vehicle been out of warranty. Any info or advice appreciated. Thanks!

The 2017 Macans came out in April of 2016?!?! Wait... What?!

I had heard that Porsche has some weird model introduction dates - this takes the cake!!!

Old 12-21-2019, 07:10 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts

I just had my Transfer Case replaced this week. My SA says he's seen a lot of these failures. My Macan is a 2015 S, with 44K miles. I don't know if it had been replaced before by the prior owner, since I only bought it a year and a half ago at 33K. But I AM glad this was covered by warranty, since it was a $2,600 repair! They put in the 95B-341-010-AX.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Here's a Porsche document about the transfer case up on the NHTSA. Seems the new transfer case has a new coating on the plates which require new software/programming. This will limit DIY replacements down the road if you have the older transfer case.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...38301-9999.pdf
Old 01-08-2020, 05:15 PM
Snap Oversteer
Track Day

UPDATE:
Car back from the dealer with the "AX" transfer case installed.
Conveniently, during the drive to the dealership, the instrument panel lit up with the "ENGINE CONTROL FAULT CONSULT WORKSHOP DRIVING PERMITTED" message. Cause was the "ambient temp sensor". Resolution was a software update.
All is well so far. Fingers crossed. Warranty expires in March....
Old 04-02-2020, 05:26 PM
wr911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2016 Macan S needs a new transfer case, approx. 44000 km (27000 miles), absolutely no abuse. My SA is trying to get it comped as it is off of warranty. Supposedly a new part number, so 2015 and 2016 seem to be affected.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:01 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wr911
My 2016 Macan S needs a new transfer case, approx. 44000 km (27000 miles), absolutely no abuse. My SA is trying to get it comped as it is off of warranty. Supposedly a new part number, so 2015 and 2016 seem to be affected.
That is true, the Porsche notice I port said 2015-2018 models are affected. Hope you get some good will from Porsche. If not grab the bulletin and call to complain.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:50 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

There are three owners here with mid-level mileage on their Macans. So far mine has been trouble-free. It's an '18 Turbo. I've read some early history on the Cayennes. They found that the TC's were failing at a high rate. They at some point mandated the TC fluid be changed every 30K. Whether fact or fiction, Come another 4K at 30,000 miles, I'll be doing my own plugs. But I will take it to a dealership to have the fluid changed as preventative maintenance. If it works, great. If not, I've wasted coin on the fluid changes.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:38 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
There are three owners here with mid-level mileage on their Macans. So far mine has been trouble-free. It's an '18 Turbo. I've read some early history on the Cayennes. They found that the TC's were failing at a high rate. They at some point mandated the TC fluid be changed every 30K. Whether fact or fiction, Come another 4K at 30,000 miles, I'll be doing my own plugs. But I will take it to a dealership to have the fluid changed as preventative maintenance. If it works, great. If not, I've wasted coin on the fluid changes.
Comparing the Cayenne transfer case to the Macan is apples to oranges. The Macan's transfer case is similar to the one in the 911/Panamera. Changing fluid can't be a negative thing, but not too sure how much it will help. The issue with the Macan's is the friction coating on the plates, it was changed in the later revision of the case and the software was updated.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:55 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Does a replaced Transfer case, replaced under warranty or goodwill, come with it own warranty? Of an extra year or two? Or does it just fall under the original warranty timeline?

Quick Reply: Transfer Case....Again?