Macan 2014-Current

Need basic shopping info

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Need basic shopping info

Gents, I am officially starting to shop for Macans as a replacement for my wife's 2017 Audi Q5.

I would appreciate your guidance. Considering new, but open to CPO or used with low mileage and a perfect PPi.

-Are there any years that I should avoid ??? due to unreliability, week engines in the likes of ims for the 996-997.1 and PDK or bore scoaring for the 997.2. or anything that has proven to be problematic.
-Does the Macan infoaintment system support Android auto and Apple carplay ??
-Given the slight remodelling, Is a base NEW Macan a better buy than a low mileage used S, GTS or even Turbo ???
-I realize taste is in nature, but are there options that are absolute musts ??? for example, android auto and apple carplay are must haves for me.

* This vehicle will be a family hauler, road trip vessel and will never see a track in its life nor be driven aggressively other than very occasional.
* Also considering the Cayenne, but I figured that since we are replacing a Q5, the Macan would be the perfect size.

As a side note, I do have a 2018 new Jeep wrangler JLU for workhorse duties with trailer hitch and all that I hardly ever drive cause ever since my daughter started college...... ( just in case someone wants to steer me towards the Cayenne for workhorse reasons) and A 997 for the fun factor.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Steph1; 10-28-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:23 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

NO Android Auto. Apple Car Play only.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:43 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Apple Car Play works great. Voice recognition is way better than a factory voice recognition. Get a trailer hitch if you have a bike rack that uses hitch mount.
The base 2.0 engine is great with an APR Tune. You can buy the tune with or without a powertrain warranty. You may be less money than a new SQ5 in the end.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u...en3_macan.html
Old 10-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

No android auto is a deal breaker. Heck a couple of months and we'll be in 2020.

That shopping went quick …… Volvo XC60 ??? GLC63 ?? damn!

At least in my 997, I have a pioneer system that does both Android auto and apple carplay. Too bad I ain't willing to do the same on a new car.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:31 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

A quick search of the Porsche website would have answered the Android Auto question. The other questions could
be answered by searching the various Macan forums online.

If you can type enough to make a post and ask others to do your work for you, you can perform searches on your own - and
make your own decision(s).

Old 10-29-2019, 05:35 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph1
Volvo XC60
Spend some time with their interface first. It is the worst I've ever seen. Try adjusting the bolster and the like for your seat, for example.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:19 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

We have an XC60 and Macan. I like the Volvo but it does not ride anything like the Macan. I do have air suspension in the Macan so that probably makes a difference. Macan is perfect balance of utility and performance. I would not take the Volvo to a mountain drive. Would not hesitate with the Macan. All depends on what you want to do with the car.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph1
No android auto is a deal breaker. Heck a couple of months and we'll be in 2020.

That shopping went quick …… Volvo XC60 ??? GLC63 ?? damn!

At least in my 997, I have a pioneer system that does both Android auto and apple carplay. Too bad I ain't willing to do the same on a new car.
GLC63 AMG is a pretty sweet ride, worth checking out. Different dynamics than a Macan, but that V8.....
Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 PM
AlphaGa
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In 2015, we looked at both the Q5 and the Macan but settled on the Macan Turbo. Our Macan has 35,000 miles on it and has been in the shop only once for a warranty repair. Like the Q5 which you are familiar with, the Macan's back seat area is limited. Outside of that, we load our bikes on the back and our boards on top and off we go. Our 1st model year Macan has been a great car and I'll assume the later versions are even better. A couple of the more expensive features that I enjoy are the PASM and if you enjoy listening to music, the Burmeister sound system (no comparison to the Bose).
Old 11-01-2019, 01:53 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaGa
...and if you enjoy listening to music, the Burmeister sound system (no comparison to the Bose).
Amen to this. The Burmester system is amazing.

Two of the options on my wife's 2020 S are Burmester and thermal/noise insulated glass. Spent 6hrs on I40 driving her car home from delivery. Picked up my 911 at the airport when I got home and hopped on the interstate. Two realizations hit:

1. Jesus Tapdancing Christ my 911 is LOUD.
2. My Bose system is terrible.

If you can swing it get the Burmester system. I will never order a Porsche and pass on Burmester.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:17 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Amen to this. The Burmester system is amazing.

Two of the options on my wife's 2020 S are Burmester and thermal/noise insulated glass. Spent 6hrs on I40 driving her car home from delivery. Picked up my 911 at the airport when I got home and hopped on the interstate. Two realizations hit:

1. Jesus Tapdancing Christ my 911 is LOUD.
2. My Bose system is terrible.

If you can swing it get the Burmester system. I will never order a Porsche and pass on Burmester.
Thanks for that comment. I ordered Burmester in my Macan S and wondered whether or not it was worth the money. This is my first Burmester system after having three 991s and one Macan with either the base or Bose system.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:05 PM
AlphaGa
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Bose in a 718 GTS thinking that I wouldn't want the Burmeister with the top down and the engine roaring but there are plenty of times I'm sitting in traffic wishing I had added it. I'm also swapping my Macan for a Cayenne for the extra room and one of my first options I specked was the Burmeister.

Quick Reply: Need basic shopping info