Tips to get off the line quicker

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,562 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Adk46
For the six-cylinder models, the theme of this question is thrill-seeking. Which is fine. I like the answers involving mechanical empathy - some folks have none, and I hope I never accidentally buy one of their cars.

For a base model, though, it can be a matter of safety. You can be rolling slowly, the PDK stubbornly hanging onto 2nd gear, and have a need to goose it - turning left out of parking lot into a rare gap in traffic, for instance. In most circumstances even the base model seems like a lively car, but not in this circumstance. There is a considerable delay while the car decides to shift into 1st and for the turbo to spool up. I guess I've learned to be cautious, but perhaps there's a strategy I can learn instead.
Knowing that happens in that situation, can't you use the paddle to force the downshift before you go to pull out?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:05 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Knowing that happens in that situation, can't you use the paddle to force the downshift before you go to pull out?
That's a great solution. It won't go into first until you stop, so it would have to be a paddle shift. The paddles aren't intuitive for me yet. I use the shifter more because it's easier for me in turns. I admit I'm having way too much fun. But, I've kind of settled down. I don't feel the need to race even though there are opportunities. I like that it's a sleeper. People have no idea. The Highway Patrol knows what's up. Got a wave from an officer the other day when I was already decelerating, like "I saw that, but couldn't get my radar on quick enough so just slow down"

Quick Reply: Tips to get off the line quicker