Notices

February in Texas @ the Track -- The dawning of a new turtle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008 | 09:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts
Default February in Texas @ the Track -- The dawning of a new turtle?

Back from another fantastic weekend at the track. Beautiful weather, with highs in the low 70's.

This was my daughter Rachel's first time at the track. She had an absolute blast, & can't wait to get back. She was able to flog her Jetta up to a top speed of 120 mph, & actually passed a few Pcars along the way. Special thanks to everyone @ TWS for helping her have a great time. Track people are the best. Here's some photos.

The junior Globester streaking down the front straight in her uber-Jetta. Her number started out as #199, but she blew the #1 right off the car.

Globie talking to her instructor. I handed her the blue tape and told her to put numbers on her car. She included her personal logo, Kevin, her inner chicken to the car. (don't ask me to explain, I can't)

Apres track, Martini's were enjoyed by the Texas crew. Somehow, we managed to get together for a photo. Missing are V(Shane, come back...)R , & Trackjunky, who were called to an instructors meeting just as we were organizing the photo, Bill The Dude boze_man, ervtx, and Richard hardluck jacksonrw (blown engine ).

Your's truly had another off, this one fairly epic. Late pass into T6. Didn't brake enough, & just before track-out realized there was no way I was going to make it. Sitting in the passenger seat was RennList's Robert Henriksen. I said "we're going off", and steered off track thinking it was pretty benign out there. Just after that, I realized that the "bushes" off track between T6 & T5 are actually trees growing up from a ditch, and that while the nicely mowed grass may look smooth, the ground is far from it. I'm not sure, but I think we may have caught a little air. At any rate, I was able to keep the car under control, & bring it to a stop well before the ditch. Scared the crap out of me, but at least the car was ok & both our sphincter muscles did their jobs.

Congrats to fellow Turtles deep_uv and TR6 for their move up to yellow, and to Adrienne who moved to white.
Old 02-10-2008 | 10:07 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Globe, she did real well. She was hanging a wheel in the air on turn three.....pretty racey!

Might want to talk to her about her point by's. It almost looked like she gave my student the finger. We got a good laugh about that one.
Old 02-10-2008 | 10:12 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was really cool seeing your daughter have such a great time. Her eyes would light up each time I asked her how her most recent session went. You're a pretty damn good Dad, Mike.
Old 02-10-2008 | 10:14 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Might want to talk to her about her point by's. It almost looked like she gave my student the finger. We got a good laugh about that one.
I taught her that one.
Old 02-10-2008 | 10:14 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Globe, she did real well. She was hanging a wheel in the air on turn three.....pretty racey!

OMG, she'd be mortified! She's about the last person you'd ever see flip someone off (unlike her dad). Her left arm should have been getting a pretty good workout. I've never seen a green group with such high powered cars. I swear that the next slowest car to her Jetta was probably a 996. Seemed like the run group was all 996's, 996TT, 997's, 997TT's... I think the green group had more hp/person than any other group.
Old 02-10-2008 | 10:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deep_uv
It was really cool seeing your daughter have such a great time. Her eyes would light up each time I asked her how her most recent session went. You're a pretty damn good Dad, Mike.
Thanks Steve. It was a peak parenting moment without a doubt.
Old 02-10-2008 | 11:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

In full turtle fashion, I managed to put my video camera in macro for the weekend. All of my videos are carefully focused on whatever object is about 12" from the lens.
Old 02-10-2008 | 11:17 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow I am sorry I missed that picture opp
great crew great weekend...i did get to drive a 997 turbo and get it up to 155 on the front straight...
time yo pull me engine out again...I am sure getting good t this task

rachael did great and we are seeing a lot of fmaily out with us...for that I am glad

yep there are trees out there. ...i am told...of course I have never seen them

thanks guys
race registration opened last week and i have procrastinated any work on this next event

de opens 2/13 for the DE

$350 for 3 days
$250 for two

starting may we are raising our prices to $265 for members and $310 for non-members. everyone gets fed friday night ...everyone....without having to sell tix.
Old 02-10-2008 | 11:27 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Originally Posted by deep_uv
+1. As I said to you guys this weekend, sure wish I had a dad like you when I was growing up...

(don't get me wrong, I love my father, he just wasn't into cars)
Old 02-10-2008 | 11:32 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Originally Posted by mglobe
Seemed like the run group was all 996's, 996TT, 997's, 997TT's... I think the green group had more hp/person than any other group.
I noticed that too. It's amazing how many brand new 997TTs are out there, especially in green. It's nice to see it, though, because that's what these cars are supposed to be used for, and too many people don't exercise them properly.

At least a green student with a 997TT doesn't ever have to worry about "growing out of their car"...
Old 02-10-2008 | 11:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
I noticed that too. It's amazing how many brand new 997TTs are out there, especially in green.

Yeah, and at least one of them got passed by a girl droving a Jetta.
Old 02-10-2008 | 11:43 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Mike . . . would you like to adopt a 38 year old? I swear, I act like I'm 20! Lol. I'm so glad to hear that your daughter's first experience was a good one. I hope she keeps coming back many more times!!! Tell her that as a female racer and long-time instructor, I am quite proud to hear that another chick has been introduced to the wonderful world of motorsports!
Old 02-10-2008 | 11:44 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mglobe
Yeah, and at least one of them got passed by a girl droving a Jetta.
I know a gal name Donna who used to race in the Honda class (can't remember what it's called all of a sudden). She had a pink sticker on the back of her Civic Si that read "You just got passed by a chick". She blew up a few engines, but dang she is one fast little lady. Maybe your daughter should get a similar sticker.
Old 02-11-2008 | 06:58 AM
jester911
Drifting

Cool stuff Mike. Glad to see she did so well. She will be out droving you in no time.
Old 02-11-2008 | 08:24 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
...Maybe your daughter should get a similar sticker.
Here ya go, Mike (I hope that Rachel has gone though the Performance catalog by now!): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1
and here: http://www.zazzle.com/you_just_got_p...48689137291880
I had just a great time meeting and spending time with everyone! After a sketchy Saturday, Todd Beven rode with me on the first Sunday run and really helped my confidence with CW. Also, VR's classroom instruction on Saturday afternoon illustrated the error(s) of my ways up to then. I even avoided doing any yard work!
I'll be looking for this on a car that blows by me in a year or so:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: February in Texas @ the Track -- The dawning of a new turtle?