Notices

February in Texas @ the Track -- The dawning of a new turtle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008 | 03:33 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah-HA! I was wondering who that was, WAY over there on the apron between NASCAR T3 & T4.

Originally Posted by TR6
I couldn't see the T13 flag station from where I was at! So I drove around the apron to the side chute that leads to T11 where you can see the T10 flag station.
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:37 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mglobe: Sadly, no one has voluntereed. I asked the grid girls, but they declined.
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:40 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eh, Robert, that could have been me! I, too, took a scenic drive on the apron. Adrienne keep calling me NASCAR boy. Proud moment.
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Magee
Mglobe: Sadly, no one has voluntereed. I asked the grid girls, but they declined.
Cmon VR, this is a layup for you... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:42 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
This was my daughter Rachel's first time at the track. She had an absolute blast, & can't wait to get back. She was able to flog her Jetta up to a top speed of 120 mph, & actually passed a few Pcars along the way. Special thanks to everyone @ TWS for helping her have a great time.
Both of her instructors told me it was some of the best fun they've had at the track in a long time!

"Hey, Haas' student that I got Sunday... Wound up passing two 911s in the next to last session and a third was wearing a target when the session ended. Last session we went out first, had two or three cars pass and was about 100 yards from lapping the last guy

If they only knew what passed them: 18 yr old girl, 100 hp car, slush-o-matic "

"I told him that she did really well and that she deserved her own
helmet. I can't remember when I laughed so hard, it was so much fun
working with her! We were coming down the front and we were closing on
the first 911 and she started to back off, I said, "what are you doing,
go, go ,go! But, have never passed before... Well, that is about to
change, go, go, go!" We were both hooting when we waved past the 911.
Best ride of the weekend, and I had rides with both Hugh @ 155mph in the
GT3 and one sweet ride with Haas in my miata, so whatever you can do to
encourage him to get her back out again!!!"

Old 02-11-2008 | 03:46 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where to start? It was superb. The weather was great, the company was fine, and the track tiime was of very high quality. My times improved considerably after having Robert Henriksen flog my car, and after taking a very fast ride with The Waco Kid. It is humbling to see what those guys can do. But, it did provide me with a testicular implant on a few turns and my driving improved a good bit. Thanks guys. Mr. Globe, the martini was perfect. I don't care what everyone else says, I think you are alright!
Uh, oh... Let the record reflect, that at no time did I utter the words, 'can I drove your car?'
Old 02-11-2008 | 04:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a good time was had by all....and the Ladies had their way with a number of drovers out there!
Old 02-11-2008 | 04:53 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Ah-HA! I was wondering who that was, WAY over there on the apron between NASCAR T3 & T4.
Yeah, that was me. When I finally made it in to the hot pit (I needed a gps to find my way back), the guy told me that the T13 flag station reported a car off but they couldn't read my numbers! They didn't know which car it was until I made my way over close to the T10 flag station! On the plus side, I got to see parts of TWS that I've never seen before....
Old 02-11-2008 | 05:01 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robert is right. I told him that in the past, I have found it very helpful to have an instructor drive my car because , as a passenger, you can concentrate on looking at their line, their braking points, and their car handling. In fact, for new students I think one of the best things to do EARLY in a DE is ride with an instructor. Amazing what you learn when you see it done as opposed to simply hearing instructions. Robert was gracious enough to drive my car at my request so that I could see what needed to be done. It was not a " Dude, can I drive you car" deal at all.
Old 02-11-2008 | 05:04 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Uh, sounds like you may need new seats even with street tires. Before I got my seats, I was sore just like you're describing after each DE. With track tires I can't imagine using stock seats.

Congrats on the promotion. Hopefully I'll get up there soon & be able to pester you again!
You are a bad influence. Okay, seats, too. I'm getting all sorts of mod justification today. Yippee!!!

Agreed, Saturday as I was rubbing my sore knee I told Keith that seats are on my Xmas list. However, my birthday is only 2 months away!!
Old 02-11-2008 | 05:19 PM
Waco Kid
Advanced

Waco Kid: That was a hoot! You done good! A point by from a GT3 is a badge of honor.
That was a fun session even with the accidental drifting and all.

Any of you going to make it to the club race?
I'm going and hoping respectable finish instead of the serious butt kicking I took last year.
Old 02-11-2008 | 06:12 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't, but go kick some butt!
Old 02-11-2008 | 07:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Both of her instructors told me it was some of the best fun they've had at the track in a long time!

"Hey, Haas' student that I got Sunday... Wound up passing two 911s in the next to last session and a third was wearing a target when the session ended. Last session we went out first, had two or three cars pass and was about 100 yards from lapping the last guy

If they only knew what passed them: 18 yr old girl, 100 hp car, slush-o-matic "

"I told him that she did really well and that she deserved her own
helmet. I can't remember when I laughed so hard, it was so much fun
working with her! We were coming down the front and we were closing on
the first 911 and she started to back off, I said, "what are you doing,
go, go ,go! But, have never passed before... Well, that is about to
change, go, go, go!" We were both hooting when we waved past the 911.
Best ride of the weekend, and I had rides with both Hugh @ 155mph in the
GT3 and one sweet ride with Haas in my miata, so whatever you can do to
encourage him to get her back out again!!!"

OK, I've got to admit I just about choked up reading this. Getting her out there was one of the best parenting decisions I've made. She will most certainly have her own helmet next time, and she will certainly be back. Most likely in May. I'm trying to get her to work corners for the Club Race weekend. I'll be there droving.
Old 02-11-2008 | 07:42 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I've got to admit I just about choked up reading this. Getting her out there was one of the best parenting decisions I've made. She will most certainly have her own helmet next time, and she will certainly be back. Most likely in May. I'm trying to get her to work corners for the Club Race weekend. I'll be there droving.
Good for you Globester! You may have some socially redeeming value yet. Almost makes a guy....oh forget that crap!

I would strongly encourage her to get into the corner worker roles at races. I don't know if PCA has anything like it, but I'm a big believer in the SCCA Flagger School, as it will teach you some very valuable and interesting things. Have her enroll if it is offered down there in Baja Ok...I mean Texas. She will see and learn some very valuable things about Droving while out there on some corners.
Old 02-11-2008 | 07:50 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Good for you Globester! You may have some socially redeeming value yet. Almost makes a guy....oh forget that crap!

I would strongly encourage her to get into the corner worker roles at races. I don't know if PCA has anything like it, but I'm a big believer in the SCCA Flagger School, as it will teach you some very valuable and interesting things. Have her enroll if it is offered down there in Baja Ok...I mean Texas. She will see and learn some very valuable things about Droving while out there on some corners.
Amen! I worked T4 at TWS for the PCA club race one year early in my DE life. This was before they added apex curbing at T4, and the ideal apex was where a chunk of the asphalt at track edge was missing. I watched the FAST guys at the front of the pack 'ca-thunk' their RF tire into that hole EVERY single lap, EVERY session they went out there. The accuracy and consistency they demonstrated made a big impression on me - I think about that all the time. And the disparity between their driving & the mid/back of pack drivers was educational, too...

Quick Reply: February in Texas @ the Track -- The dawning of a new turtle?