Notices

February in Texas @ the Track -- The dawning of a new turtle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008 | 08:31 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jester911
Cool stuff Mike. Glad to see she did so well. She will be out droving you in no time.
Who said she isn't doing so already???? I didn't hear anything about the young lady going off-track...........

I'm not sure if her instructor's pose in the in-car picture should be captioned:

1. "Just like Dad...I can't understand a thing you are saying".

2. "You actually listened to HIM about how to drove on track"?
Old 02-11-2008 | 08:56 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
2. "You actually listened to HIM about how to drove on track"?
The more likely comment.
Old 02-11-2008 | 11:09 AM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude checkin in here...

great weekend all...and congrats to everyone who moved up...u couldnt ask for a better weekend...cw was awesome somehow 'seems' easier on the brain

sorry to miss photo op...was so wiped out sat that i left after class and skipped the last session, had a long busy late week...well actually the real story is i was still there but forgot my smoking jacket so couldnt get into 'the garage' and drink with my pinky in the air with you ladies and gents...so i ended up drinkin my brown bagged warm 40 of colt45 out by the 'back fence'

dude out
Old 02-11-2008 | 11:14 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
It was really cool seeing your daughter have such a great time. Her eyes would light up each time I asked her how her most recent session went. You're a pretty damn good Dad, Mike.
Dawning of a new turtle. Ha! Great thread title!!

Wasn't that sparkle in Rachel's eye great?!?! Same thing happened when I would ask her how her run was. She'd brighten completely. That's explanation right there!! Ha! And then she says, "I just wanna go fast!!" Whoopee!!! Another adrenaline junky in the family! Mike - you are a great dad for introducing her to it!

My little report for the weekend:
I don't know what the trigger was, but I gained a lot of speed over the weekend. I am soooo, sooo sore today! My ribs on both side are sore from sliding in my seat, my neck is tight, and my upper upper upper leg is sore on one side!! My check ride into white was the BEST fun. The white group has so much energy it's palpable. Just incredible fun! I'm still amazed this is legal. Everything else that is this much of a rush will get you jail time!!

And I met my goal: no offs until white. Yipee!!! (knock on wood). Yeah, it's a weird goal, but it's my daily driver and I love it so.

I toasted my front right tire. Or is it the left... I can't remember, I'm so tired. The other 3 are not far behind. So now I have to decide on my next set: stay with street, or take the plunge to track tires....ruh-roh!!!
Old 02-11-2008 | 11:59 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adrienne
And I met my goal: no offs until white. Yipee!!! (knock on wood). Yeah, it's a weird goal, but it's my daily driver and I love it so.

I toasted my front right tire. Or is it the left... I can't remember, I'm so tired. The other 3 are not far behind. So now I have to decide on my next set: stay with street, or take the plunge to track tires....ruh-roh!!!
White = Track Tires

P.S., now's the time to get that more aggressive alignment Jim and Dave talk about in the yellow classroom.
Old 02-11-2008 | 12:57 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Originally Posted by trackjunky
White = Track Tires
Hey, I'm in White, and I'm still on street tires. By choice.

OK, they're pretty grippy street tires (Bridgestone RE-01R, treadwear 140), but they're still not a race tire. And, I hold my own pretty well in White...
Old 02-11-2008 | 01:13 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where to start? It was superb. The weather was great, the company was fine, and the track tiime was of very high quality. My times improved considerably after having Robert Henriksen flog my car, and after taking a very fast ride with The Waco Kid. It is humbling to see what those guys can do. But, it did provide me with a testicular implant on a few turns and my driving improved a good bit. Thanks guys. Mr. Globe, the martini was perfect. I don't care what everyone else says, I think you are alright!
Old 02-11-2008 | 01:24 PM
TR6
Drifting

What else can I add? It was a great weekend. deep_uv, Will, and myself moved up to yellow to harass Globe once again. The only way he can escape us now is to move on to white with Adrienne and the Buckley boys.

I had one "off" but, other than the speed I was travelling at, it was low drama. I got a bit of red mist syndrome and kicked my speed up on the front straight about another 10 mph to about 140. Unfortunately, in my excitement, I neglected to move my braking zone back a little more to compensate for the extra speed. End result was the edge of the track at turn in for T15 approaching very rapidly while hard on the brakes with no hope of shedding enough speed before turn in. Ran out of pavement and opted to drive straight off through the grass. Its amazing how far you travel on grass trying to slow the car! I made it almost all the way back to the pavement of the nascar roval as it continues around! Then I had to try to remember 'Now where am I supposed to go to get back on?'. I couldn't see the T13 flag station from where I was at! So I drove around the apron to the side chute that leads to T11 where you can see the T10 flag station.
Old 02-11-2008 | 01:37 PM
TR6
Drifting

I also have officially had the most frightening ride as a right seat passenger on a race track as of yet. I went out for a ride-along with an instructor (some of you guys know who) who drives a convertible with no roll bar or harnesses. Just the little factory hoops behind that seats that aren't tall enough for me (I'm 6'3"). This guy is flogging it around the track, sliding, pushing the limit, car getting loose and then recovering, etc. And the whole time I'm thinking that I'm in a frickin convertible with no roll bar and if we got off sideways at these speeds, I'm going to be either dead or a vegetable the rest of my life. I've been out with some very fast but smooth drivers where we've been drifting, sliding, etc through corners, but I've always felt safe. But I was almost at the point of saying uncle and asking him to drop me off in the hot pit when he pitted in on his own. Said he thought he had corded a tire. I'm not getting in that car again without a roll bar...
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:03 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Dawning of a new turtle. Ha! Great thread title!!

Wasn't that sparkle in Rachel's eye great?!?! Same thing happened when I would ask her how her run was. She'd brighten completely. That's explanation right there!! Ha! And then she says, "I just wanna go fast!!" Whoopee!!! Another adrenaline junky in the family! Mike - you are a great dad for introducing her to it!

My little report for the weekend:
I don't know what the trigger was, but I gained a lot of speed over the weekend. I am soooo, sooo sore today! My ribs on both side are sore from sliding in my seat, my neck is tight, and my upper upper upper leg is sore on one side!! My check ride into white was the BEST fun. The white group has so much energy it's palpable. Just incredible fun! I'm still amazed this is legal. Everything else that is this much of a rush will get you jail time!!

Uh, sounds like you may need new seats even with street tires. Before I got my seats, I was sore just like you're describing after each DE. With track tires I can't imagine using stock seats.

Congrats on the promotion. Hopefully I'll get up there soon & be able to pester you again!
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:17 PM
Waco Kid
Advanced

Great Weekend; could not have had better weather. The car really ran well with the upgraded suspension so all it needs now is a good drover.
I meant to say hi/meet some Texas rennlisters but with students and everything else going on my time tends to get away from me.

Don: Anytime you want a ride come get me. It was fun chasing that GT3 around the track.
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:22 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Weneversleep said: And, I hold my own pretty well in White...

Holding your own in white will cause a spin. At least that was what i was told.
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Don Magee

Does someone hold yours for you while you drove Don?
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:30 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Originally Posted by Don Magee

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Yep, I guess I proved that this weekend.
Old 02-11-2008 | 03:30 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Waco Kid: That was a hoot! You done good! A point by from a GT3 is a badge of honor.

Quick Reply: February in Texas @ the Track -- The dawning of a new turtle?