Notices

February in Texas @ the Track -- The dawning of a new turtle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008 | 08:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

A friend of mine sent me this video he shot of me making a pass on the front straight. He accidentally had the camera in sepia mode, which actually make the vid look pretty cool. Sounds pretty good too. I'm the second of the grey cars. The guy in the white Carrera never lifted. It's a DE for God's sake!

Old 02-11-2008 | 09:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,731 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
I also have officially had the most frightening ride as a right seat passenger on a race track as of yet. I went out for a ride-along with an instructor (some of you guys know who) who drives a convertible with no roll bar or harnesses. Just the little factory hoops behind that seats that aren't tall enough for me (I'm 6'3"). This guy is flogging it around the track, sliding, pushing the limit, car getting loose and then recovering, etc. And the whole time I'm thinking that I'm in a frickin convertible with no roll bar and if we got off sideways at these speeds, I'm going to be either dead or a vegetable the rest of my life. I've been out with some very fast but smooth drivers where we've been drifting, sliding, etc through corners, but I've always felt safe. But I was almost at the point of saying uncle and asking him to drop me off in the hot pit when he pitted in on his own. Said he thought he had corded a tire. I'm not getting in that car again without a roll bar...

Did he have a beard?
Old 02-11-2008 | 09:54 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seems I'm late to the post-DE postings! Well, I had a long drive back to Dallas, and by the time I unloaded the trailer and all, I was toast. Then slammed at work today... have barely had time to peel the numbers off the car.

Glad I skipped the last session... I would have either goofed up on the track or on the ride home. But the rest has to be the most fun DE for me so far. CW is a hoot!!! I felt slower than in the past for some reason, but I was having too much fun to let it bother me. Great to see all the RL's in force!

I've got video coming... First up will probably be Yellow run group on Sunday, Session 3 (featuring Boze_man in a little cat & mouse we staged). To be truthful, if anyone saw me pull off line headed into the carousel, it wasn't just to swap out the lead-follow order. I actually missed a shift. I had less than a quarter tank of gas to start the session, so I was really paranoid about the engine cutting out or overheating. When I missed the shift, I thought "crap, I'm gonna make it back to the parking lot behind a tow truck". So I threw my fist up and prepared to apply the just-in-time escape plan lesson we just had in the classroom (is VR psychic?). Then I realized all was OK, and to the bewilderment of the corner workers, engaged 2nd and rejoined the line after Boze and others flew by. Catching up and re-passing added to the cat & mouse drama, but it was more about poor hand-eye-foot coordination than movie making!

Seems we all got a lot faster through the course of the weekend... Glad everyone stayed safe. Congrats to all those who moved up!
Old 02-12-2008 | 12:14 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Did he have a beard?
yes
Old 02-12-2008 | 01:03 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
A friend of mine sent me this video he shot of me making a pass on the front straight. He accidentally had the camera in sepia mode, which actually make the vid look pretty cool. Sounds pretty good too. I'm the second of the grey cars. The guy in the white Carrera never lifted. It's a DE for God's sake!

Wah, Wah, Wah, You've got like 200 hp on that guy. You should have to earn it.

It is cool looking in Sepia.
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:31 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Wah, Wah, Wah, You've got like 200 hp on that guy. You should have to earn it.

Yeah, I had the same thought. You were blowing by him so why would he (or I) lift?????
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:33 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ervtx
.................. So I threw my fist up and prepared to apply the one-more-time spin plan lesson we just had in the classroom (is VR psycho?). ...............................
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:47 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Yeah, I had the same thought. You were blowing by him so why would he (or I) lift?????
I'm sure you guys are right, but the guy was more than a bit of an a$$hat on the track. Tailgating big time in the warm-up lap, & only allowing passes when pushed for a long time. But yes, I shouldn't whine...
Old 02-12-2008 | 09:10 AM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have yet to be at a DE where I didn't have at least 1 or 2 of those. My last DE a guy that seemed to be in almost every session I did was in almost identical car would give me a point by and then not lift. Happened 3 times with the same guy.

I finally went over and talked with the guy. Turns out the guy had no clue. He said well you kept catching up to me so I just figured you had something extra under the hood.
Old 02-12-2008 | 09:41 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm sure you guys are right, but the guy was more than a bit of an a$$hat on the track. Tailgating big time in the warm-up lap, & only allowing passes when pushed for a long time. But yes, I shouldn't whine...
Just yanking your chain! You guys with all that hp and new technology are always looking for something more from us guys with the low power, old technology, little cars..........
Old 02-12-2008 | 11:14 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't even start with the low power, old technology cars, Bob . . . recall I race a Spec Miata. Lol. The Porsche is too pretty to race.

That video did have great sound! I almost can't wait to go back home and go to the track. It has been a few months for me! Talk about WAHHHH!!! Looks like March will be my first track day. Not racing this year because it makes no sense to start racking up points out there only to move to the other side of the country and try to get points in a new region. But it'll still be fun . . . I've been waiting too long. Mike's video just made it worse.
Old 02-12-2008 | 01:41 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just razzing you, Mike. I'm a big believer in lifting to facilitate a safe pass. However only just enough to make it happen and lose the least momentum. Here's two examples.

1. Boze_man and mglobe passing me during my yellow check ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b-rRxUArIA

2. What do you do when the CDI magically appears in your mirror? Answer: Arm out, lift. This is later in the same lap as above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idinvtWwJo0
Old 02-12-2008 | 01:49 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Nice droving Stevie. Damn that Spec Ford looks like fun!
Old 02-12-2008 | 02:42 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice droving Stevie. Damn that Spec Ford looks like fun!
If you thought droving a street car at a DE was taking a hit off the crack pipe - you have NO IDEA
Old 02-12-2008 | 03:41 PM
boze_man
Pro

Originally Posted by ervtx
To be truthful, if anyone saw me pull off line headed into the carousel, it wasn't just to swap out the lead-follow order. I actually missed a shift. I
i thought u pulled off because the car u pointed by who looked like he maybe shouldnt have taken the pass boxed u out?? there was also a spec miata that ran up next to me into that corner (turn 11)...it was hairy there for a sec with 4 of us in that corner...

Quick Reply: February in Texas @ the Track -- The dawning of a new turtle?