Road Atlanta Feb 23-24?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Atlanta Feb 23-24?

There is a chance that my other half will be going TDY (travel duty) to Warner Robbins AFB in late February while I'm visiting him. He noticed that there is an SCCA race on Feb 23-24 and we were considering watching. Anybody gonna be there? The track is apparently 150 miles from the base, but no biggie for us as we're used to long drives (i.e., seven hour haul to Sebring). From what he told me, Macon is about 20 miles away, and Atlanta is 90 miles away. Anybody wanna meet for dinner or something? Or go to the race with us? It would be great to meet a few of you.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I do. I think SCCA charges $10 a head non-member entry fee. Could be more. I live a few miles from the track.

What are your plans? Drive up watch the race and drive back?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Randy . . . well, he's gonna be at Warner Robbins all week most likely, so we'll drive over to the track on Saturday morning most likey, depending on the schedule. We might stay in town on Saturday night (if I have my way), and then drive back down to Florida sometime Sunday. I'll talk to him about the logistics tonight and get back to you. Will you be racing? Which class? Hopefully I won't forget my SCCA card. Ten bucks is like . . . two gallons of gas. Lol. So maybe you can be our tour guide for a good steak house or something?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
jester911
Drifting

I may have some friends racing there that weekend. I will try to keep that weekend open. I think it is only 5 dollars. I am an SCCA member as well. I don't know about any steak places near the track but I do know of a half decent Mexican joint.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Sounds good, Jerry. John is going to try and iron out details tomorrow at the base and I will of cousre keep you all posted. So it looks like we have two Rennlisters so far . . . hopefully we'll get more by the time of the race.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:02 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Bonnie, have you guys worked out the details yet? Give us an update.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Not yet, Randy, thanks to your hard working Air Force, lol. I just emailed John at the base to encourage him to figure out what the heck is going on. I guess if worse comes to worst, I can always drive to Atlanta sometime during the week for lunch. Why not? I'll be in a government vehicle. Lol.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:19 PM
jester911
Drifting

If John succeeds in figuring out what is going on when it comes to military plans tell him he needs to publish a book on the subject. He will be the first one to ever accomplish that task.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I know exactly what you mean, Jerry. John has said on numerous occasions that the military makes a concerted effort to completely confuse its members. They have succeeded.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay guys and dolls . . . we WILL be going to the race at Road Atlanta!!! Here's a snippet from John's email:

"Have reservations for TDY at the Comfort Inn at Robins. Checking in Tues 19 Feb (after 1500) Check out Friday 22 Feb (before 1100) . . .

Have a couple of hotel options at the track. A Comfort Inn in Oakwood, Ga and a Country Inn in Oakwood . . ."

Any other motel suggestions? John and I aren't the type to sleep in, so I'm sure we'll be down near the track on Friday in plenty of time to meet up and have dinner somewhere. What do you all think? You can also just email me privately, bonni at weatherwax dot net Thanks!
Old 02-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

So . . . Randy? Jerry? Everybody? Who wants to meet up for this race? We will for sure stay the day Saturday, but might have to leave a little early to drive home on Sunday, as the track is about five hours from the panhandle. Let me know!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:09 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Bonnie, why don't you guys come stay with us. We have a private guest room with full bath upstairs.
No obligations. You guys come and go as you please.

I make GREAT cappuccinos, lattes, espresso and I could pull out the French Press if your tastes tend more to Americanos.

Be fore warned, we have a 3 yr old and a very friendly cat.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, Randy, for the generous offer! I will ask John tonight and see what he says.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:45 AM
jester911
Drifting

Bonni, at this point I am not totally sure I will make it up to RA that weekend. I am knee deep into suspension upgrades and I am trying to be ready by Mar. 8-9 for Barber. Hopefully all will go well and I see you guys there.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bonster

Have a couple of hotel options at the track. A Comfort Inn in Oakwood, Ga and a Country Inn in Oakwood . . ."
I stayed at the comfort inn when I was at RA. It was a decent place and its only a few miles from the track. Theres a few places nearby to eat as well.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta Feb 23-24?