Notices

Let's have a civil conversation about racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Let's have a civil conversation about racing

Now that we have "it" running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, let's talk about our racing/track season. I'll start...

I am having a challenging year. Did a major project that pretty much was a complete rebuild of the car. New floor, new oil cooler, relocated radiator/oil cooler, new exhaust, etc.

First outing was dealing with exhaust trying to melt the bodywork. Had tire rubbing issues on the new tunnels so I only went far enough in the race for a finish.

Second outing was better but still a challenge. Finished with heat issues but never got any decent practice time. Though with help from other people's problems, I did take the National win.

So now I find that I am at a mental block with the car. I seem to be stuck at cornering speeds that are pretty much pre-tunnel speeds. I know there is a lot more grip but I am fighting myself to try to use it. I am thinking of blowing off the run offs this year and just do a couple of fun races. Maybe a Dbl Regional and school day at Mid Ohio. That is my best track and the best place for me to push through that mental block at about 2.5 g's.

So who else wants to share their season, thus far?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My season has SUCKED so far!

A-arms recalled by Racers Edge casued me to miss the TWS club race

Colling "issues" caused me to miss the MSR Cresson race

NASA rule changes with door "x" brace addition has left me watching until I can get that changed.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short season thus far with only a couple races and a few test days...

Ran a lot of races last year all over the East coast and up into Canada. Won a lot, but the loses we had were due to being down a much as 120+ horsepower to some of our competitors. So, this year has been concentrating on developing some new lower control arms that are stiffer and give us control of track/camber/anti-dive. Those actually helped quite a bit and led to a new track record at VIR. A new motor is going in the car now that will give us 50 more hp and hopefully a wider torque curve, so there is a lot of testing to be done between now and the next two races. Road Atlanta will be a final race/test before heading to Texas for BMW CCA Oktoberfest where we'll square off with a few forced induction cars running 100-200 more horsepower. Hopefully all of the time we and RRT have devoted to the development of our chassis and Ohlins suspension will lead to being competitive against much bigger power.

I've been away from open wheel cars for a few seasons now and I'm really starting to get the urge to get back into a sports racer or open wheel car. Sprint karting is finally taking off in this area (previously, dirt track or full sized road courses were the only places nearby to race karts consistently), so I'm thinking of picking up a kart to run test days in 2-3 times a month to stay sharp.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

My season.

First season ever racing.

First race. Huge learning experience but it was more about learning to be comfortable in the car which i had never driven before with some systems I had never used (stright cut gears, clutchless shifting, no power assist with brakes.). The race was also at a track that I had never driven and didn't really know that well so I fought that for the first half of the test day. Huge confidence gaining happened throughout the weekend.

Post race: Found some issues that needed to be dealt with that were above my paygrade so the local shop is working on it for me. They have been a huge help for a number of reasons. Car will also have an updated and working dash with tach (first race the tach was non-functioning) and all the other goodies that come with an AIM system as well as a video setup (current project) so I can brag to my friends who know nothing about car racing and then show all the racers where I'm leaving time on the course.

Next race: Road America Kettle Morrain Double Regional. Will be nice since I know the course a LOT better than the first race. Should be interesting taking a few turns flat out that I never have before. The kink, possibly 7 and 13 as well, need to check others nots and see what they have. Already learned the little issues that can creep up with gear changes when my shop taught me so I don't have to worry about that.

Rest of the year. At least one of the following races. Double regional at Milwaukee Mile and Fall Sprints at Blackhawk (double points). If everything goes well I should easily win the season points in CFC (not much in teh way of competition/win by default but I'll take it).
Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Sprint karting is finally taking off in this area (previously, dirt track or full sized road courses were the only places nearby to race karts consistently), so I'm thinking of picking up a kart to run test days in 2-3 times a month to stay sharp.
I know that one of the technical guys for NASCAR is a big push behind the sprint karting at Lowes. So big props to those NASCAR guys for being behind it.

I'll be down there next summer hopefully doing some karting to keep sharp too.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:49 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

I sold my car two years ago due to having my priorities all wrong: new baby, struggling with real estate acquisitions, growing my business and on and on.

I have been watching the transformation of my "old" car and have the itch again...actually I think I never lost it, it was just dormant...
If the right deal comes along I am ready to pounce!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Now that we have "it" running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, let's talk about our racing/track season. I'll start...

I am having a challenging year. Did a major project that pretty much was a complete rebuild of the car. New floor, new oil cooler, relocated radiator/oil cooler, new exhaust, etc.

First outing was dealing with exhaust trying to melt the bodywork. Had tire rubbing issues on the new tunnels so I only went far enough in the race for a finish.

Second outing was better but still a challenge. Finished with heat issues but never got any decent practice time. Though with help from other people's problems, I did take the National win.

So now I find that I am at a mental block with the car. I seem to be stuck at cornering speeds that are pretty much pre-tunnel speeds. I know there is a lot more grip but I am fighting myself to try to use it. I am thinking of blowing off the run offs this year and just do a couple of fun races. Maybe a Dbl Regional and school day at Mid Ohio. That is my best track and the best place for me to push through that mental block at about 2.5 g's.

So who else wants to share their season, thus far?
Congratulations on the National win!! If you're having trouble finding the limit you could try the Jacques Villeneuve method. Keep going faster until you throw it off of the track, then dial it back a notch

My season has gone pretty well so far. I have 11 starts in PCA and NASA which have produced 5 class wins and 5 second places. The bad news is that 2 of those 2nd places were behind a car that I'll be facing at NASA Nationals. Our cars are virtually identical in lbs/hp, thus we're in the same class, but he gets there with less weight and less hp. His car is about 750 lbs lighter than mine which gives him a big advantage in some of the corners at Mid Ohio. I have another regional race coming up in a couple of weeks at Mid Ohio where I need to figure out how to beat him despite my extra weight.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:04 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Jim. how's your car's reliability been? Just wondering from the standpoint of an 11 race schedule. You could PM me instead of posting.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Jim. how's your car's reliability been? Just wondering from the standpoint of an 11 race schedule. You could PM me instead of posting.
We lost the clutch during the Mid Ohio PCA enduro three laps in while my co-drover was behind the wheel. Other than that the car has been rock solid reliable this year.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

This year has been my first time on a race track, only in DE events so far. I and seem to be decent at it, and am advancing through the run groups at a reasonable pace. I was solo in my third DE, which I felt was not too bad, and got some very nice comments from instrutors. "I feel completely comforable riding with you at the wheel, this is fun.", was the best compliment I felt I could get from an instructor. I've set some goals for myself wrt where I want to be run-group wise by this time in '08, and have two DE's schedulded for Sept & Oct of this year.

Racing is on my radar, but I've got to see how business goes over the next year or so. If/when I go down that route, I'd like to be running a Porsche of some sort, though I've also thought about going the SM route to keep expenses down a bit. If things go right, I'll be able to do it, if they don't, I'll be worrying about paying for my two daughter's college expenses instead.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

My season in a word: expensive.

After Sebring and certainly after Atlanta, I knew I was down on power. In drag races off of corners I was getting smoked, and not just by F cars.

Well the leakdown told the story. 30% in #3, and losses in both 2 and 4. I knew I had a missed shift at Sebring, which explained the slightly bent valves in 3 and 4. But the main culprit was the Mahle piston in 3. The piston skirt had cracked in 3, putting a huge gouge in the cylinder wall.

Goodby old motor. Hello new block, pistons, complete teardown and rebuild. Ouch.

Was going to cancel Mid Ohio since the car wouldn't be ready in time. Good buddy and HWFM teammate Jeff Phillips said use his other car a 44Turbo S.

Cool. I'd never driven there and wanted to see why everyone raved about it.

Loved the track, got comfortable quickly. But once again getting smoked off corners, and was way down the E grid. Turns out the Turbo ByPass Valve was stuck open. Not another one in the pits. So I'm droving a very heavy, low compression, normally aspirated 944 in E.

Fortunately the race gods sent me rain on Sunday morning warm-up and I posted good times versus the field.

Then in qualify for the enduro, the clutch let go.

Now I have two broken race cars.

Fast forward to Gingerman and the Turtle Car's back.

Having a great run in the Enduro, heading for a podium finish in F and 5th overall. Timing and Scoring mix-up. Get not one but two black flags. There goes that one. But they made up for it with a Workers Choice award.

In the sprint I qualified 5th, finished 6th.

Motor feels good, I'm now looking forward to the rest of the season.

Road America and Daytona. Was going to do Rennsport III but I think I've spent enough this year.

May even have a chance to share the Turtle Car in the Enduro at Road America with another illuminary from this forum.

And despite all the frustrations so far, I've had a ball this year.

Why? Because the best thing about this sport is the people. 98% are terrific, Fun, generous, helpful, and talented. But that's another thread.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
So now I find that I am at a mental block with the car. I seem to be stuck at cornering speeds that are pretty much pre-tunnel speeds. I know there is a lot more grip but I am fighting myself to try to use it.
It's always more challenging to find the limit of aero cars, as you don't get the same feedback when you run out of aero grip as you do when you are running out of mechanical grip. Not to mention getting your mind to adjust to having more grip at high speeds than at low speeds...and braking it an entirely new ballgame as well, since you lose downforce as you slow. It's gotta be even tougher in an aero car where you know the limit and then you suddenly add some new bodywork that raises the limit that much more.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:10 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I've been in a continuous backslide all season; started out with a major personal best, only 0.3s off the lap record at the home track, but two second places. Race 2 was heavy rain, and we cleaned up. Race 3 was a pretty even battle; neither gained nor lost ground (second in the points), but fighting a pushing car, and tried to open up the options for suspension tuning, succeeded only in going slower.

This past weekend put me in the hole big-time on #1, with one self-induced spin-out and crash (pretzeled the rack), and the other one couldn't even stay in second due to burnt up tires and new chassis configuration I didn't have figured out. Had to replace the tires that I was hoping would last me all season. <grrr>

Next weekend is a big race at Mid-O, the IT-Spectacular (is to the ARRC as the June Sprints are to the Runoffs). Hoping to do well; if the car is working well and I don't burn up all my tires, I have more experience than many that we expect to show up there, and I'm desperately hoping to be on the podium for the ITB races. We're gonna get tricky for this one; plan to revalve my shocks this weekend just for the race! Already figured out wedge options on the scales the other night... ITB is gonna be a great group to run with; other than 2 cars of 12+, it's all German cars.

Then two more race weekends back home at Waterford, but they're probably a throwaway at this point, since we're so far in the whole that the other guy's gotta blow up sumpin' big for me to have a shot at still winning this thing. Then again, he's also running the Mid-O race, so maybe he'll have a rough weekend there or something...

Hope springs eternal... and the tire budget for next year will have to be doubled!!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:12 PM
jester911
Drifting

My story is probably a little bit unique. I am not W2W racing yet but it looks to be in my near future.
I started my track experience a little backwards. Almost 3 years ago I did one track day on a small track in Alabama with some friends that had rented it. Several months later a racer buddy bought a Spec Miata. In a conversation one day he offered me the use of his car at SCCA drivers school.
So I took his car to Roebling Road in Feb 2006 and completed the double school which gave me a novice permit.

Now keep in mind that my only experience before that was the one day in Ala.
I won't bore everyone with all the details but I completed the weekend without even a single wheel off or any contact. Granted I was pretty slow the first day. The second day it poured rain all day. Wow. By the third day I was finally driving and was midpack.
One of the funny things about the drivers school is that they don't really teach you much about actually driving.
I realized that in order to get better I needed instruction. So since then I have done DEs at a handful of tracks in the SE and have gotten some good seat time and instruction.
The latest development is another good friend just bought a race car that it running in a fairly new class in SCCA called GT Lite. He has asked me to co drive the car at a couple enduros coming up in Oct. at VIR.
So it looks like I may be racing this year after all.

The P-car I have has a rollbar and racing seats but it is still a street car.
I do plan to buy my own race car at some point but with a daughter in out of state college and a son soon to be I just can't swing it quite yet.
Not to mention I have a wife that thinks I have a death wish.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:20 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I envy you guys. I've got the racing bug so bad I can hardly stand it. Have done a ton of test laps this year so far. Spent every weekend in April and May testing in the Formula SAE car. Was able to put it 3rd in the enduro at the Detroit race, but after that it went to England for another race that I wasn't able to make. I've been trying to at least get out and autox whether its in my car or the formula car. Had a streak there where I was out every weekend, but its gotten old fast. Looking at taking the formula car to the local kart track car to run some test days. It'll be the only way to get some seat time with other cars on track.

Other than that I've been surfing the web tempting myself with finally biting the bullet and buying a built racecar. Have had the notion to buy a roller and start building one, but I'm afraid it'll take too long and I'll miss getting out and racing. I think I'm going to have to wait until next spring when I can put my upcoming degree to good use and spring for a full time job and afford to acquire a racecar. If anyone's selling let me know

Quick Reply: Let's have a civil conversation about racing