Notices

An honest question for Frank

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:28 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
You have to understand, I never thought of racing before. I was just having fun in DE. Roger Foo (ex World Challenge driver, and currently drivers in GAC/Koni Challenge) and I were at Audi Club (or something else, maybe NSX club I forget) around in 2001 or 2002... he rode with me, and I rode with him. He told me something like, I dunno why you're playing around in DE's, you're more than ready to race... that's when I started getting ideas about racing.... Marc Kirberg (rookie of the year, World Challenge in 2002, and finished 3rd that year) who qualified me for my NASA license said to me, you are a good driver, and you keep your eyes open and you are aware of your surrounding... I would be comfortable racing with you any time... He only rode with me like 2 laps and he cleared me for my rookie license.
psssst. Frank. That's what ALL racers tell nearly all DErs. That's what I was told, almost word for word. It doesn't mean anything. All it means is that the sharks want fresh chum so that they will be at least above the crease at their races. They are like pushers, and when they see a new addict, or soon to be addict, they start pushing their wares . . . "There is no other feeling in the world that compares to W2W racing . . . You will never look at DEs the same way . . . So long as you are aware, I wouldn't have a problem racing next to you, etc . . . "

I have no problem believing they told you this. I am also pretty confident that it doesn't mean you have what it takes to be a pro driver.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Also realize that a number of pro drivers make the MAJORITY of their income not from racing, but from coaching up & comers AND NAIVE WANNA-BE'S WITH $.

Think about it. It is a never-ending client base. Hell, I have made a bunch of money doing this myself, and I am not a true pro driver (and never will be).
Old 03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

There are lots of scratch golfers, there are very few pro golfers. I would imagine that there is an analogy here. Many a scratch golfer believes they could go pro, but the gap between a scratch and a pro is enormous. The gap between a club pro and a touring pro is enormous.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Also realize that a number of pro drivers make the MAJORITY of their income not from racing, but from coaching up & comers AND NAIVE WANNA-BE'S WITH $.

Think about it. It is a never-ending client base. Hell, I have made a bunch of money doing this myself, and I am not a true pro driver (and never will be).
Wait. So the truth comes out? You're basing your belief that you're ready to make the jump into a full season of Pro racing on a couple comments from Pro drivers at a DE? Not only must you consider what VR says above (which is quite true), but you must also realize that they don't mean Pro racing. They mean you are safe enough and drive a decent enough line that you should try club racing as a way to continue improving your skills (which 6 years later, you haven't really done at all). They didn't mean that you're ready to run up front in the ALMS or even that you'll EVER have the skills to run in a Pro series. Those skills are something that must be developed by actually RACING...
Old 03-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Bryan, I am one of the few people Frank was able to put on ignore. If you want him to see my post, you have to reply directly to it.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Bryan, I am one of the few people Frank was able to put on ignore. If you want him to see my post, you have to reply directly to it.
Done.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:48 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

That smarts.

As far as I understand it, the difference between an excellent amatuer and a pro driver really boils down to two things: (1) consistency; and (2) a second or two.

Sure, an amatuer might be able to come within a few seconds of a pro on a given lap, but all of the difference in the world lies within those few seconds, and being able to do it over, and over, and over safely. Sounds easy, but extremely difficult. If it were so easy to become a pro, everyone would do it.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

No...I meant respond to THIS post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=17
Old 03-14-2007, 11:49 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

I took care of it.

BTW, my goals have never included being a pro, but this thread, and maybe even this forum, is depressing me as well
Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

And manage the tire and brake wear and be able to work with the engineers on setup to get the most out of the car and still drive fast when something isn't working right on the car or the setup is sub par.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Were you edumacated down there in Texas or something? Take a look at my original post...I just edited it to add your quote in.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I are teh dumb...Sorry...
Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
He told me something like, I dunno why you're playing around in DE's, you're more than ready to race... that's when I started getting ideas about racing....
I think most of us here agree that you are ready to race. At the amateur level. When and if you'll be ready to race at the professional level remains to be seen. The only way to find out is to start racing and see what happens. That's why I've been trying to light a fire under you. The sooner you start racing the sooner we'll all find out how good you are. Its entirely possible that you'll do very well and surprise a lot of people. Its also possible that you'll struggle at first and benefit from the advice of experienced racers, several of whom can be found on this forum.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:12 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jim Child
I think most of us here agree that you are ready to race. At the amateur level. When and if you'll be ready to race at the professional level remains to be seen. The only way to find out is to start racing and see what happens. That's why I've been trying to light a fire under you. The sooner you start racing the sooner we'll all find out how good you are. Its entirely possible that you'll do very well and surprise a lot of people. Its also possible that you'll struggle at first and benefit from the advice of experienced racers, several of whom can be found on this forum.

I agree
Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I think Frank should run MX-5 cup. Let's get a collection together.

Quick Reply: An honest question for Frank