Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
WHOA. Nice.

Come on, guys, we aren't allowed to have serious car discussions down here!
Sorry, I forgot.....you know how us dumb little DE guys are!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
You have to understand, I never thought of racing before. I was just having fun in DE.
I do understand. When I was doing DEs, I never really wanted to race either.

Roger Foo (ex World Challenge driver, and currently drivers in GAC/Koni Challenge) and I were at Audi Club (or something else, maybe NSX club I forget) around in 2001 or 2002... he rode with me, and I rode with him. He told me something like, I dunno why you're playing around in DE's, you're more than ready to race... that's when I started getting ideas about racing....
Understood, but that still doesn't mean that you have the ability to run with the pros.

Marc Kirberg (rookie of the year, World Challenge in 2002, and finished 3rd that year) who qualified me for my NASA license said to me, you are a good driver, and you keep your eyes open and you are aware of your surrounding... I would be comfortable racing with you any time... He only rode with me like 2 laps and he cleared me for my rookie license.
That still doesn't mean you are pro material. There are plenty of people that I am comfortable racing with, just as long as they are at the back of the grid, and I am at the front. Maybe that was what he had in mind.

I had a little pro instruction back in 1990 from some guy named Brian Redmon down at Sebring. Ever heard of him? After about 15 laps, he got out of the car and said "Larry, you're very fast". Not exactly what I wanted to hear. I wanted some speed secret that would drop my lap time by a second or so. To this day, I don't know if he had nothing to teach me, or he was just being nice and wanted to get the hell out of the car. For the record, I was the fastest one at that school. I plan to get some pro instruction at the HC advanced lapping event at the Glen in May. Hopefully, I'll really learn a few things then.

So what are you doing to see if you have the ability to be a pro racer? Maybe you should run in a Skip Barber car, or some other rent-a-spec racer to see exactly how you compare. As I have documented and others have said in this thread, just having a pro or 2 say that you should race is really not any endorsement of your overall racing ability.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
jb

A GTA Cool

Paul Wetson's ride? Have you droven it?

Kwech was loosely associated with a dealership I worked at. He was very cool. Ausca was his team as I recall. Very cool the way he would spank the much better financed Porsche teams. Those little Alfa engines were jewels. And the throaty sound of the webers gulping air -- music.
Horst gave some spankings to Porsches, but not many. When Porsche was allowed in he was still driving a GTA, as he had the year prior. He beat the Porsches for a few events, then it was 50-50 with Porsche/Alfa wins, then Porsches won the late year races. In '68, he came out with a GTA again, but after being beaten by almost all of the Porsches a few times, he switched to a Mustang in June for the remainder of '68 and '69. Those were tuff years for him in that class. When Porsche was legislated out in '70, Horst went back to a GTA and did very well, as he did in '71 and '72 in a GTV, but there were no Porsches.

The car in the picture was his Pepsi-Wetson car that he drove in '72.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:39 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Don't make the mistake of believing that just because it's a spec car with a sealed motor, the top teams don't have better cars. Not only do the top teams have the resources to get the "best" spec parts (it's not uncommon to order 10 sets of shocks, dyno them all, and choose the ones that perform the best on the dyno..at least that's been the case in Spec series I've competed in), but they also have the most testing time and best setup information. I knew teams in Star Mazda who had multiple motors on the trailer...they purchased more than they needed, found the most powerful and kept them for their cars and for spares and sometimes kept the rest on the trailer to sale to competitors at the track. In a spec series, you'd be amazed how important it is to get even the toe settings correct for maximizing speed on the straights without giving up too much speed in the corners.

This may not have all played out in MX-5 Cup yet since it's a "new" series and everyone is still learning the car, but it will over time.
Very true. However some of the things that I have heard about the MX-5 cars is that top to bottome there was essentially no difference when they dyno'd the competitors cars top to bottom. I think it says more about the consistency of the stuff Mazdda was putting out at the time than picking and choosing motors. I think it also helps that the cars were all new this year too. No older vs. newer and any small differences that may happen from year to year.

I think the biggest difference is as you said (other than driver). Setup and testing time is getting the last little bit through suspension settings and learning from running multiple cars.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:43 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bull
Horst gave some spankings to Porsches, but not many. When Porsche was allowed in he was still driving a GTA, as he had the year prior. He beat the Porsches for a few events, then it was 50-50 with Porsche/Alfa wins, then Porsches won the late year races. In '68, he came out with a GTA again, but after being beaten by almost all of the Porsches a few times, he switched to a Mustang in June for the remainder of '68 and '69. Those were tuff years for him in that class. When Porsche was legislated out in '70, Horst went back to a GTA and did very well, as he did in '71 and '72 in a GTV, but there were no Porsches.

Thanks for the info Bob. Do you have any photos of the stuff you did back then that you'd be willing to share. I'd love to see them.

Now for most vintage races they group the small bore cars with all the big block cars in the same class much to the chagrin of the under 2.0 guys.

I'm curious how Grand-am Cup and Speed World Challenge will be looked at in 30 years everytime I read about the older GT stuff.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Thanks for the info Bob. Do you have any photos of the stuff you did back then that you'd be willing to share. I'd love to see them.

Now for most vintage races they group the small bore cars with all the big block cars in the same class much to the chagrin of the under 2.0 guys.

I'm curious how Grand-am Cup and Speed World Challenge will be looked at in 30 years everytime I read about the older GT stuff.
In the early Trans-Am days (through '69), that is exactly how we ran, with the 5 Liters and the U-2s together. Great training for mnirror use. Nothing like a Driver's meeting where at the end they asked for questions/comments, and George F. says "yeah, those 2 Liter guys should STF out of the way if they want to stay on the track". And the response is "anything else"?

Pictures and "Super 8" movies...hold on while I set up my projector, screen..... I have an ex-wife who likes them so much (she wasn't there at the time) that she has refused to allow me access to sort them out of the pictures she wants. But, I haven't tried for about 7 years, so maybe I'll take another run at her!

Milt Minter was a friend and a bit of a mentor (favorite question was "WTF was THAT?"), and there are some pictures on the website set up in his memory. I'll switch my avatar to one of my favorites from his early "RV".
Old 03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 791 Posts

Brian is a very good friend, as I think I told you on the phone once. I almost ALMOST bought his motorsports event business several years ago.

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I do understand. When I was doing DEs, I never really wanted to race either.

Understood, but that still doesn't mean that you have the ability to run with the pros.

That still doesn't mean you are pro material. There are plenty of people that I am comfortable racing with, just as long as they are at the back of the grid, and I am at the front. Maybe that was what he had in mind.

I had a little pro instruction back in 1990 from some guy named Brian Redmon down at Sebring. Ever heard of him? After about 15 laps, he got out of the car and said "Larry, you're very fast". Not exactly what I wanted to hear. I wanted some speed secret that would drop my lap time by a second or so. To this day, I don't know if he had nothing to teach me, or he was just being nice and wanted to get the hell out of the car. For the record, I was the fastest one at that school. I plan to get some pro instruction at the HC advanced lapping event at the Glen in May. Hopefully, I'll really learn a few things then.

So what are you doing to see if you have the ability to be a pro racer? Maybe you should run in a Skip Barber car, or some other rent-a-spec racer to see exactly how you compare. As I have documented and others have said in this thread, just having a pro or 2 say that you should race is really not any endorsement of your overall racing ability.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:25 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Milt Minter was a friend and a bit of a mentor (favorite question was "WTF was THAT?"), and there are some pictures on the website set up in his memory. I'll switch my avatar to one of my favorites from his early "RV".

Link to Milt Minter picture gallery

There are some great shots in there.

904, 906 917 some NART Ferrari stuff. Great Pics. Thanks for the lead.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:33 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic gallery!!!! Love the RSR's....

I knew there was a reason to keep coming back to this forum ....other than the obvious comic relief factor!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Link to Milt Minter picture gallery

There are some great shots in there.

904, 906 917 some NART Ferrari stuff. Great Pics. Thanks for the lead.
He was a drover....and I learned one of my over used lines from him...."I'm not smart enough to be scared"!

Donky Bop!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:24 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He was a drover....and I learned one of my over used lines from him...."I'm not smart enough to be scared"!
I am in no way comparing myself with him, but I think I share the same problemexcept I am slow!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Nice hidden message in true HWFMR style.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

The only reason I don't race = funds. My family is not supportive in that aspect. Chinese people do not know a lot about racing because China was pretty much closed off since 1950's and no racing until maybe past 2000. Taiwan is open, but the government sucks *** and never promote racing at all. The only place Chinese people raced was in Macau GP and that's very dirty from what I hear, mafia connections or you are super rich... etc.

It is SUPER hard to become a pro. I have no illusions about that. Couple guys who I know have super talent - ie, Marc Kirberg, Ken Dobson... both top drivers from the Bay Area, they did WC for 1 or 2 years tops. Heck, Marc goot rookie of the year in 2002 and finished 3rd. I don't even recall he got a ride in 2003...

However, I also understand it takes a bit more of talent to be a pro. It's what you bring to the table, how marketable you are. I think I have a decent enough talent to try to go pro, and I'm unique enough to be fairly marketable (in my own opinion of course). I've been researching everything all on my own and I've actually learn most of the driving by myself. Nobody sat in the car with me and taight me. I got tips and hints here and there when I asked good drivers to check my progress. That's one reason I'm so proud of my skills. I earn them myself.

Anyhooo... I've got my plans for 2007 so... we'll see how it goes. It's all or nothing. I've been working very very hard in the last few months.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Great background stuff Bob

My Dad had a '67 GTV, so I loved the Alfas and hated the Porsches.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Great background stuff Bob

My Dad had a '67 GTV, so I loved the Alfas and hated the Porsches.
All proves that you are educable...not that there was ever any question....well two people did wonder, but I sent them on their way!

My best Alpha story is that my second wife, a short lived situation on the West Coast, was very clear that she didn't see me heading off with the Porsches while she enjoyed her VW, so I bought an Alpha for her in 1972, a Spyder, and we went our seperate ways. I run into her every 10 years or so in Seattle and she never fails to bring up that Alpha, which she claims was worse than the Exxon Valdez for oil loss and seemed to need a front end rebuild...I had no idea! At least she still laughs about it....

Quick Reply: An honest question for Frank