Notices

Now that Ghetto is gone.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by GhettoRacer
You dunno jack **** about sponsorship obviously... to go pro, you have to understand how everything works. Just watch and learn son. hahahah.
Uh-oh.

Bryan, you wanna do it, or shall I?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dunno jack **** about sponsorship obviously... to go pro, you have to understand how everything works. Just watch and learn son. hahahah.
As someone who has raced in a televised series and sat on the pole of the first Professional race I entered, I have infinitely more knowledge about this subject than you do. Thanks for playing though.

As much as you stick your foot in your mouth, I would assume that you keep a large collection of breath mints handy. Now would be the time to have one of those.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:00 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

Obviously you have more experience than me at the moment but... in your profile:

Biography:
Aspiring race car driver, deeply in debt.

So either, you are not getting enough sponsors, or, you don't have enough talent?! *dunno* shrug.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Thumbs down

Oh, brother. What a douchebag.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

So either, you are not getting enough sponsors, or, you don't have enough talent?! *dunno* shrug.
You forget the third choice: it's not as easy as you say it is to get sponsors, and they rarely give a darn about your talent (or lack thereof, which might play in your favor). I actually know something about it, whereas you're still a wannabe DE driver spouting off on the internet.

When you actually podium in a class of 8-10 cars at a Time Attack event (glorified auto-x with very little to do with road racing), let us know so we can watch out for you in F1.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
You forget the third choice: it's not as easy as you say it is to get sponsors, and they rarely give a darn about your talent (or lack thereof, which might play in your favor). I actually know something about it, whereas you're still a wannabe DE driver spouting off on the internet.

When you actually podium in a class of 8-10 cars at a Time Attack event (glorified auto-x with very little to do with road racing), let us know so we can watch out for you in F1.
Game, set, and match.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:10 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

My goal is just to be a pro in production car racer. Similar to your goal I guess, run LeMans, or race in WC or GAC... it's a realistic dream/goal not fantasy. I'm not dis-illusioned about being a formula/single seater driver... I'm way too late for that.

So tell me, how long have you been racing? What is this about being on pole in your first pro race? Which race was it? Have you been racing lately? Your blog seems to kinda slowed down since 2005. Married or single? It's hard to race with a family... too much responsibilities.

I know lot of ppl have talent but they don't understand sponsorship...
Old 03-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, he's never going to get it. In fact, this whole forum has emboldened him; he's getting worse.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

You guys are never going to get me. But lighten up it's just the internet yo.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

You think someone might google search a person who has a car like Bryan's in their avatar. But alas Frankie didn't and then spouted off.

Frankie you

Bryan, I have a good buddy who's a BMW guy, ex-speedsecrets coach moving to Charlotte this summer. I'll make sure he looks you up once he gets there.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

I didn't realize you were in pro racing, Frank. I thought you had to complete a season as a regional racer first? I have *some* sponsorship, but I doubt it's because I'm fast. Folks for some crazy reason like me I guess. I've only got three sponsors, and none of them actually give me money or buy my car or a slot in the races. Every little bit helps, though. Even with mild sponsorship, racing isn't cheap, that's for sure.

I have been to exactly ONE pro race and will never likely return to that arena. The reason being (a) the entry is about twice as much, (b) the stakes are twice as high (better contingency awards and payouts), and mostly because (c) the racers are about five times as aggressive. I got slammed clean off the track at PIR in turn 3 when some jerk decided to use me as brakes. It pretty much ruined the car I was running in. I'm not saying all pro racers are like that -- this was just a Spec Miata pro race so the costs aren't as significant as with a Cup car or something. But those guys, at least in SM pro racing, are crazy. I've never seen you race, so didn't realize you had a license (I'm talking wheel-to-wheel racing like I do, not time trials, etc). If you do, and really are going pro racing, don't say I didn't warn ya. Those guys are GOOD and they don't mind showing you. Ack!

BW
Old 03-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Bryan, I have a good buddy who's a BMW guy, ex-speedsecrets coach moving to Charlotte this summer. I'll make sure he looks you up once he gets there.
Please do. I'm fairly easy to contact via the email on my webpage.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Speaking of cars . . . I want Bryan's . . . and cooley's . . . I want them all! But alas, I'll have to just stick with my little SM. At least the parts are cheap. Love the pics in the avatars, in other words.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bonster
But those guys, at least in SM pro racing, are crazy.
That's the truth...I've got a SM with a tired old motor that I took out to a Pro event at Road Atlanta. I started somewhere midpack and proceeded to be used as brakes and a bowling pin for a few of the drivers. Decided then and there that I wasn't going Pro racing in the Miata (well, that, and when I walked into a local damper rebuilding shop and saw the Bilsteins of a few of the front runners laying on his rack for an illegal rebuild).
Old 03-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

So you know *exactly* what I mean, Bryan! Lol. A friend of mine did a double-regional last year at Laguna and in the FIRST LAP (yup, parade lap) got pinballed by five other cars. That car is so history it's not even funny. He was okay, but he doesn't have the kind of money to rebuild a car yet.

Yes, some of the SM crowd definitely cheats. Re-valving the shocks is unfortunately more common than stink on you-know-what. I had a pal of mine once ask me why I never did this. I told him because it's clearly illegal according to the GCRs. He then said something like, "Why not? It's not like there's any way to check them in impound." Cheating is usually done by the guys with money. Even if I had a lot of dough, I wouldn't cheat. Winning wouldn't be the same if you knew you cheated. I can't wait until they start the sealed engine class. Maybe then I'll win a little more often!

BW

Quick Reply: Now that Ghetto is gone.......