Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:12 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 239 Posts

Interesting to see more 718s popping up here.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,185 Likes on 634 Posts

Apperently no one in manufacturing got the memo to make a change? 718s will probably fail sooner as they have more torque and a flatter tourque curve. Carl
Old 10-19-2018, 12:25 PM
mel450
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mel450
I have a Boxster 718S manual built March 2017. Lost third gear while at Summit Point after downshifting from 4th.
CORRECTION: I filled this out late last nite and put the wrong date for Date of Manufacture (March 2017 was the date of pick up).
As per my certificate of authenticity my manual Boxster 718S was made 8 December 2016.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:55 PM
mel450
Cruisin'

I reported my manual Boxster 718S (Mfgr date Dec 2016) third gear failure here last week.
My new transmission is covered under warranty. I emailed the head of service at the dealer, with whom I feel I have a good relationship and who's opinion I trust, specifically asking if I was getting a new transmission or a remanufactured one. He said I am getting a remanufactured transmission. The car has 11,250 miles on it and a lot of bells and whistles. How confident can I be with this remanufactured transmission? Does it affect the value of the car? My instincts say, "I want a brand-spanking-new transmission." Is it reasonable to insist on a brand-new transmission or is the remanufactured one good enough??
Old 10-23-2018, 04:25 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

I reported my manual Boxster 718S (Mfgr date Dec 2016) third gear failure here last week.
My new transmission is covered under warranty. I emailed the head of service at the dealer, with whom I feel I have a good relationship and who's opinion I trust, specifically asking if I was getting a new transmission or a remanufactured one. He said I am getting a remanufactured transmission. The car has 11,250 miles on it and a lot of bells and whistles. How confident can I be with this remanufactured transmission? Does it affect the value of the car? My instincts say, "I want a brand-spanking-new transmission." Is it reasonable to insist on a brand-new transmission or is the remanufactured one good enough??
The express warranty probably allows them to use either new or remanufactured parts so you're probably not on solid legal footing to demand a new one. I would want one as well, but want and entitled are two different animals.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

What you want does not exist in their service system. They use the failures as the cores for the remanufacturing and you're getting the fixed one from a car that failed a couple of months ago. The warranty department is totally divorced from new manufacturing. These aren't 40 year old numbers matching cars. The do NOT record serial numbers on these gearboxes like they did 40 years ago and publish a COA. Those days are gone. The remanufactured gearbox is as-new and should give you zero concerns. It's replacement will be on your car's service record. That will add value when it comes time to sell. The car that never had a failure and is being sold used outside of the good faith warranty/service bulletin window is the car I consider worth less, not the other way around. The fixed car is the car I am buying.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I have an Oct '15' build with 33,000 miles and I hope it fails before the warranty is up. Otherwise a future buyer will leverage the possible/probable cost of a replacement transmission.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:17 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,560 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I have an Oct '15' build with 33,000 miles and I hope it fails before the warranty is up. Otherwise a future buyer will leverage the possible/probable cost of a replacement transmission.
Porsche has an official service bulletin on this issue. It was posted on Rennlist (can’t recall where but I’m sure it can be found). I printed and placed in my GT4 file.

I have discussed with my service manager more than once and he assures me Porsche will stand behind the third gear even out of warranty.
No - I don’t have it in writing from him, but between the service bulletin and the documented failures I am confident it will not be an issue getting it fixed at no cost even out of warranty.

I’ve got a March 2016 build with almost 16,000 miles and approx 34 track days. Still on original transmission.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:28 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
What you want does not exist in their service system. They use the failures as the cores for the remanufacturing and you're getting the fixed one from a car that failed a couple of months ago. The warranty department is totally divorced from new manufacturing. These aren't 40 year old numbers matching cars. The do NOT record serial numbers on these gearboxes like they did 40 years ago and publish a COA. Those days are gone. The remanufactured gearbox is as-new and should give you zero concerns. It's replacement will be on your car's service record. That will add value when it comes time to sell. The car that never had a failure and is being sold used outside of the good faith warranty/service bulletin window is the car I consider worth less, not the other way around. The fixed car is the car I am buying.
Originally Posted by Alan C.
Seems to only affect 2016 built ones.
You might be waiting a very long time Allan.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:39 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 AM
ducsfly
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Add me to the list of 3rd gear failures. It happened at VIR, got off the gas while in 3rd for turn in to #4 and when I got back on the gas all I got was rpms. All other gears work fine. It is at the dealer and new box may come in next week according to service advisor. The car has 13,xxx mi, 7 track days (800 mi on track), May '16 build, SC2's, mods are TPC toe links and AWE wind diffuser.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:51 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by ducsfly
Add me to the list of 3rd gear failures. It happened at VIR, got off the gas while in 3rd for turn in to #4 and when I got back on the gas all I got was rpms. All other gears work fine. It is at the dealer and new box may come in next week according to service advisor. The car has 13,xxx mi, 7 track days (800 mi on track), May '16 build, SC2's, mods are TPC toe links and AWE wind diffuser.
Sorry to see you added to the list. You bought your car from me back in March of 2017. Hope everything else is working well. If I recall correctly it had about 3,800 mile on it when you picked it up. I had done no track days, only street driven, before you picked it up.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:58 PM
vengra
5th Gear

I'm on week three waiting for my trans. Slow from Germany then stuck in customs. They told me it would be a week in the begining.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:16 PM
ducsfly
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Sorry to see you added to the list. You bought your car from me back in March of 2017. Hope everything else is working well. If I recall correctly it had about 3,800 mile on it when you picked it up. I had done no track days, only street driven, before you picked it up.
Okie, it is/will be running like a champ. I'm still enjoying it and know Porsche will make it right for me.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:22 AM
jcorderojr
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am looking at a GT4 with a "delivery date" of 4/16. What would be approximate build date?

Quick Reply: GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"