Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:34 AM
Hawk Yama
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my best lap at Chin COTA HPDE this weekend.
2m27.19s (ambient temp: 57F)
OE size RE71R (245,295), DSC V2 PASM controller, Fabspeed rear wing riser (new!), all stock other than that. ARB setting is mid/firm.
Wasn't able to match jslee225's lap time so hats off to him!! If I was able to combine everything together I could see 27 flat but it didn't happen this time.

Another thing i need to confess is that I changed S/F line to back stretch for my optimal lap... Here is why. On my first hot lap, one GT3 just outpit in front of me and even went wide at exit so I had to go off the track... Next lap, I got a big sideways at T3 (the track had more undulation than last time I drove in March last year). The following lap was almost 0.4 sec ahead until backstretch but caught a slow traffic... After that, the tires lost some grip so my session was over. The next session was kind of similar condition but I wasn't able to make a hotlap since I needed to come back to be a check ride instructor.

Here is a video starting before normal S/F until 2nd lap back stretch.

The rear riser made the car absolutely planted more at high speed corners and the balance wasn't too bad until front tire gets hot. As my front tires are still the one used at TWS last year (swapped left and right for even wear though), it didn't grip very much at large slip angle so maybe it's better balance with a new set (rear was used for MSR Cresson and H2R then being swapped). Also I did some back to back PASM controller comparison during the event (DSC vs stock). I didn't see much difference for single corner but DSC had smoother lateral transition especially at esses.

Last edited by Hawk Yama; 01-31-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:11 AM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by Hawk Yama
OE size RE71R (245/285), DSC V2 PASM controller, Fabspeed rear wing riser (new!), all stock other than that. ARB setting is mid/firm.
Wasn't able to match jslee225's lap time so hats off to him!! If I was able to combine everything together I could see 27 flat but it didn't happen this time.

Another thing i need to confess is that I changed S/F line to back stretch for my optimal lap... Here is why. On my first hot lap, one GT3 just outpit in front of me and even went wide at exit so I had to go off the track... Next lap, I got a big sideways at T3 (the track had more undulation than last time I drove in March last year). The following lap was almost 0.4 sec ahead until backstretch but caught a slow traffic... After that, the tires lost some grip so my session was over. The next session was kind of similar condition but I wasn't able to make a hotlap since I needed to come back to be a check ride instructor.

https://youtu.be/RJEkz8K1K-U

The rear riser made the car absolutely planted more at high speed corners and the balance wasn't too bad until front tire gets hot. As my front tires are still the one used at TWS last year (swapped left and right for even wear though), it didn't grip very much at large slip angle so maybe it's better balance with a new set (rear was used for MSR Cresson and H2R then being swapped). Also I did some back to back PASM controller comparison during the event (DSC vs stock). I didn't see much difference for single corner but DSC had smoother lateral transition especially at esses.
Good to meet you at Cota! I was on brand new tires, so I’m sure if you had the same you would have got 2.26 for sure! I’m very impressed! You definitely are motivating me to be a better smoother driver

lets push each other!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:24 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First off, excellent run you were moving! You and Jslee should play some cat and mouse next time haha.

Great to hear your feedback on the rear wing riser, we have seen similar results on our version. We designed 2in, 4in and 6in wing risers and tested them at Sebring and Road America on a multitude of cars/drivers. The 6in risers were the ticket. We can noticeably feel the cars hunkering down more throughout the track from the increased downforce, becoming much more planted, secure, and confidence inspiring through the higher speed corners like the Bishops at Sebring. Some other interesting feedback...most know that the GT4 comes with blocks installed in the front diffuser from factory. We found no real benefit from these blocks being removed in the various testing sessions with the factory wing height or the smaller risers, that is until the 6in risers were installed. At that point, the diffuser blocks being removed offered a noticeable compliment in front downforce to the increased rear downforce from our 6in risers. All else equal, a standard GT4 with our wing risers, front diffuser blocks removed and running our Gurney Flap had noticeably more grip than that of a GT4 Clubsport running without them. There is no doubt 6in wing risers offer a noticeable benefit to the downforce/handling of the car, the cherry on top being when you look in the rearview mirror...the wing has been relocated up high enough for near perfect rear visibility and improved situational awareness on and off the track. Our version also happens to have rounded edges and the same crinkle finish to match the factory risers : )
Old 01-30-2018, 04:01 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will have to post the video later

Sebring - 1/27/18 - RE71-Rs - 2:27.48; Theoretical best of a 2:26.73 but damn traffic getting in the way.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:06 AM
Hawk Yama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jslee225

Good to meet you at Cota! I was on brand new tires, so I’m sure if you had the same you would have got 2.26 for sure! I’m very impressed! You definitely are motivating me to be a better smoother driver

lets push each other!
Same here jslee225!! I really wanted to watch your 27.06s lap video. it's great if you felt something from my video. This thread is all about stimulating each other so we can keep trying and be a better driver, right? Of course, we can push each other to get closer to ShakeN'Bake's laptime
Old 01-31-2018, 01:26 AM
Hawk Yama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
First off, excellent run you were moving! You and Jslee should play some cat and mouse next time haha.

Great to hear your feedback on the rear wing riser, we have seen similar results on our version. We designed 2in, 4in and 6in wing risers and tested them at Sebring and Road America on a multitude of cars/drivers. The 6in risers were the ticket. We can noticeably feel the cars hunkering down more throughout the track from the increased downforce, becoming much more planted, secure, and confidence inspiring through the higher speed corners like the Bishops at Sebring. Some other interesting feedback...most know that the GT4 comes with blocks installed in the front diffuser from factory. We found no real benefit from these blocks being removed in the various testing sessions with the factory wing height or the smaller risers, that is until the 6in risers were installed. At that point, the diffuser blocks being removed offered a noticeable compliment in front downforce to the increased rear downforce from our 6in risers. All else equal, a standard GT4 with our wing risers, front diffuser blocks removed and running our Gurney Flap had noticeably more grip than that of a GT4 Clubsport running without them. There is no doubt 6in wing risers offer a noticeable benefit to the downforce/handling of the car, the cherry on top being when you look in the rearview mirror...the wing has been relocated up high enough for near perfect rear visibility and improved situational awareness on and off the track. Our version also happens to have rounded edges and the same crinkle finish to match the factory risers : )
It's interesting info. John!! I was worried that the car was too tight with the riser but it wasn't felt that bad. Instead, it's kind of difficult to get the max entry speed since the car pushes a lot even when I overcooked the brake just a little bit (maybe front tire though). Thus, I ended up tend to over slow during the lap.. When I drove MSR Cresson on GT4 first time, I started stock wing angle with the blocks, only raised rear wing, then removed the front block (the car was completely stock on Dunlop OEs though the alignment was far off - rear was toe out). The first set was loose like crazy so I raised rear wing only but without removing the blocks the car pushed at turn-in with way improved exiting traction. Then the entry U/S was improved when I removed the block so I still believe it helps some even with the stock wing. Anyway, I ran COTA with low DF rear position since the riser itself added 2 degrees already and no dive planes on front. I completely agree with the rear view part. It's really good visibility with the riser.

Last edited by Hawk Yama; 01-31-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:41 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

OE size RE71R (245,295), DSC V2 PASM controller, Fabspeed rear wing riser (new!), all stock other than that. ARB setting is mid/firm.

https://youtu.be/RJEkz8K1K-U
Nice Hawk Yama! Q. I see your data is showing some 1.4 g corners. Is that data coming from the car's own sensor or your recording device? Seems well planted at that high level, amazing.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:43 AM
Hawk Yama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Nice Hawk Yama! Q. I see your data is showing some 1.4 g corners. Is that data coming from the car's own sensor or your recording device? Seems well planted at that high level, amazing.
Thanks matttheboatman!! I use GPS G data since they are smoother but the value is a bit higher. Here is the comparison between the two. You see the car G sensor is more choppy and the value is smaller though it's still around 1.4G.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:48 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 277 Posts

Watching you guys fly around COTA makes me really miss my GT4. Josh, Hawk, and Martin - very nice driving! Very impressive Martin for only your second trip to the track!

Learn from me though, don't ever sell your GT4s unless it's for another one!
Old 02-02-2018, 09:27 AM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by electron mike
Watching you guys fly around COTA makes me really miss my GT4. Josh, Hawk, and Martin - very nice driving! Very impressive Martin for only your second trip to the track!

congrats again on the newborn. I’m sure we will see you in a p car soon!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Hawk Yama
Rennlist Member

Thanks electron mike!! I'm wondering what new car you are getting and what you think about Zl1 1LE!! Also, it turned out my friend bought Jgarvish's GT4 and I drove it as well. It's well equipped and nice but I'm really interested in his new car and wish to see it at the track someday
Old 02-02-2018, 11:22 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 277 Posts

Thanks electron mike!! I'm wondering what new car you are getting and what you think about Zl1 1LE!! Also, it turned out my friend bought Jgarvish's GT4 and I drove it as well. It's well equipped and nice but I'm really interested in his new car and wish to see it at the track someday
I ended up with a ZL1 1LE, and then a regular ZL1... my review of the second one is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14647528

I'm hoping to get a 991.2 GT3 allocation (slim chance it seems) or the next GT4. I tried to buy Garvish's GT4 after I sold mine, but I should have offered him more! That is a great car and very well modded, congrats to your friend on an awesome purchase!

congrats again on the newborn. I’m sure we will see you in a p car soon!
Thanks! I'll take mini me in the other cars that have a back seat so I don't have to compromise my track car choice. Hoping to get into a GT car soon!
Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 AM
Hawk Yama
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=electron mike;14773674]I ended up with a ZL1 1LE, and then a regular ZL1... my review of the second one is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14647528

I'm hoping to get a 991.2 GT3 allocation (slim chance it seems) or the next GT4. I tried to buy Garvish's GT4 after I sold mine, but I should have offered him more! That is a great car and very well modded, congrats to your friend on an awesome purchase!

Thanks electron mike!! It's too bad you didn't have a chance to drive 1LE on the track. It's about 13 sec difference on Nordschleife and the main differences are only tire and aero. The Supercar 3R was 2 sec faster than Trofeo R used for Z/28 at VIR. ZL1 1LE is the car I absolutely want to drive one time!! Of course, 991.2 GT3 with manual or 991 GT2RS is another one I want to drive someday too!
Old 02-04-2018, 12:52 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

......... Learn from me though, don't ever sell your GT4s unless it's for another one!
I second that! Hoping the new GT4 will be announced soon.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:57 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

COTA - 2:2706 - 1/28/18 - RE71r - Track Alignment, Fabspeed Race Headers
New PB for me! Unfortunately, my GoPro crapped out the very first session, so no video. However, I do have the Harry's screenshot below. The second session I decided to use the Harry's video on my iPhone as a last resort and was able to get "video" of 2:2855
https://youtu.be/2mEDO7kDsm8
Got you on the board jslee! Sorry I omitted you earlier, that is an incredible time for the highly contested COTA circuit. You are definately in the GT4 Elite Fleet of drivers.

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4