Sponsored by: APR

Official word on oil capacity discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:35 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Thanks for finding this out. Did you contact PCNA through the form on their website? I have been considering writing them about the LWB issue and how some (albeit not a lot) of us were forced to take allocations with only sofa seats available. It would be nice if they would be willing to sell us at least one seat afterwards at some reasonable price.
Yes, used the Contact Us form. It seems they did come to their senses on the LWB order issue somewhat given that several non-LWB orders were pulled forward in the production queue by several weeks so that LWB orders could be delayed rather than being forced to be modified, but of course that doesn't help people whose builds occurred during the original policy. Can't hurt to write to them, though. Go for it.

Originally Posted by user1029
Oil - the most contentious topic among car guys like fingernail polish amongst trophy wives (is it? I don't know, hell if I understand them).
Ha! That's why I didn't ask people what weight or brand of oil they plan to use with their cars.

(After reading many threads on RL, I'll be using Mobil 1 5W-50 based on my area's climate, my intended use, and my desire to adhere to Porsche's approved list at least during the warranty period.)
Old 07-20-2015, 05:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,147 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
I'll be using Mobil 1 5W-50 based on my area's climate, my intended use, and my desire to adhere to Porsche's approved list at least during the warranty period.)
Do you have that list of approved oils available?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:59 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Do you have that list of approved oils available?
I'm just going off of Page 166 of the Owner's Manual that says it needs to have Porsche A40 approval and be 0W-40, 5W-40, or 5W-50. It also says "Porsche recommends Mobil 1", which I imagine is due to a sponsorship deal of some sort, but from reading a bunch of oil threads it seems Mobil 1 5W-50 is a popular choice as long as you can find a place to source it. It may not be laced with unicorn tears like some of the other more specialized brands that I saw mentioned, but I think it will be just fine for me.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm just going off of Page 166 of the Owner's Manual that says it needs to have Porsche A40 approval and be 0W-40, 5W-40, or 5W-50. It also says "Porsche recommends Mobil 1", which I imagine is due to a sponsorship deal of some sort, but from reading a bunch of oil threads it seems Mobil 1 5W-50 is a popular choice as long as you can find a place to source it. It may not be laced with unicorn tears like some of the other more specialized brands that I saw mentioned, but I think it will be just fine for me.
Thanks! BTW, if any of the brands is likely to be laced with Unicorn blood, wouldn't that be Mobil? I think a flying Unicorn is their symbol

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...NCLSWc1gtg.jpg
Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
I have been considering writing them about the LWB issue and how some (albeit not a lot) of us were forced to take allocations with only sofa seats available. It would be nice if they would be willing to sell us at least one seat afterwards at some reasonable price.
LMK how that goes, I am in your camp and would happily have that conversation with PCNA. Im sure we could find at least 10 of us that missed out.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:22 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, add me to that list. I too am hopeful to buy at least a driver's LWB at some point in the future.

Thanks JP for the info on oil capacity.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Engine oil filling capacities for the Porsche GT4:
Engine oil change quantity (without oil filter): Filling capacity: 7.25 Liter
Engine oil change quantity (with oil filter): Filling capacity: 7.5 Liter
Engine oil quantity for new engine: Filling capacity: 10.1 Liter
Thanks! I think I'm going to use Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 (A40 Porsche approved). Coincidentally, it comes in 5 Liter jugs, so 3 jugs should provide 2 oil changes exactly.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Out of curiosity, what is Porsche's position re: warranty and DIY oil changes?

I can see doing intermediate oil changes between the recommended ones (since they are soo long) but what about the main ones, or do we need to go have our cars serviced by technicians who just last week grew hair ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With my 2005 Boxster I've had for 10 years now, I've done all my own oil changes, and lots of other things:
-brake fluid flush a few times-use a Motive unit.
-drive belt replacement-very easy.
-manual transmission fluid change.
-pollen filter change.
-air filter change.
-brakes-changed rotors, pads and sensors front and rear.
I like doing the work myself, because I not only learn a lot about the car and how it's put together, I know the job is done right, because I take my time and research the project online. There are Youtube videos for most things, for example the drive belt.
Once when I took my Honda Civic in for service, the technician missed removing the oil filter gasket, and put on the new oil filter over it.
About a mile from the shop my engine oil light came on and when I pulled over I saw a line of oil on the road.
Luckily I pulled over in time to save the engine.
Ever since that experience I prefer to do most of the work myself.
I recently took it in to get the spark plugs changed, as I had an injured arm at the time and changing the spark plugs on these cars is a real pain in the ***.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Out of curiosity, what is Porsche's position re: warranty and DIY oil changes?

I can see doing intermediate oil changes between the recommended ones (since they are soo long) but what about the main ones, or do we need to go have our cars serviced by technicians who just last week grew hair ...

Cheers,

Mike
I think it's fine and probably best if you keep receipts for all oil, filters, and other parts purchased and keep a log of DIY service dates including mileage on that date. Good records for your own use anyway...

For Porsche to disclaim a warranty item, I think they would have the burden of showing that you used unapproved parts or otherwise screwed things up by doing it yourself.

If someone wants to read the manual, maybe there is some specific language related to this issue...
Old 07-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Most of you guys know me, I am pretty well the consummate DIY guy, and keep very good records - but some manufacturers insist on their mechanics touch the car for the minimum maintenance. Did not know there is wording in the manual, gotta check that out ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer Service w/o oil change

My local dealer was fine with me doing the oil & filter changes on my 987. When the 987 went in for service I told them not to change the oil since I had done it myself. Plan to do the same thing with the GT4 and use Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 and keep the receipts and front part of the Motul bottle.

Quick Reply: Official word on oil capacity discrepancy