Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 05:11 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
It is not restricted by any means and it is in fact more aggressive than the 991 3.8L mapping. The car dynos at or better than factory estimated crank horsepower.
curious if this is also true for the 981 Spyder.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:55 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
curious if this is also true for the 981 Spyder.
Interesting, I wonder the same thing.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:01 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

What began with 3 years of Internet stalking, forum frequenting and straight up obsession will soon culminate in ownership and warranty compromising modifications. At the end of the day, I'm just a guy who always believed this car should have more power and now I'm a guy who firmly believes it should get the 430 crank HP it deserves!

BIG JOHN STUD, how do you like the GT4?
Are you guys going to race the Club Sport in Conti next year?
You are kicking *** with the Cayman buddy, we will be doing more business soon!

Cheers!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 10-19-2015, 03:03 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

I like the potential
Old 10-19-2015, 03:21 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

You beat me to it! Thanks for posting the You Tube video. Now for the long awaited dyno results:

STOCK GT4 ON THE MAHA DYNO MAKING 386 HP & 307 LB/FT @ THE CRANK:

STAGE 1 GT4 ON THE MAHA DYNO MAKING 414 HP & 335 LB/FT @ THE CRANK:

STAGE 1 GT4 WITH RACE HEADERS ON THE MAHA DYNO MAKING 431 HP & 338 LB/FT @ THE CRANK:

STAGE 1 INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:

- High Flow Air Filters
- 991 82mm Throttle Body & Upgraded 82mm Plenum
- Cargraphic Stainless Steel Longtube Manifolds (WITH OR WITHOUT CATS - SEE NOTE)
- Ehresmann Engineering ECU Flash (PLEASE SPECIFY IF YOU ARE PURCHASING MANIFOLDS WITH OR WITHOUT CATS).

Thanks for following along.

John

P.S. Check out the impact to the torque curve at 6400 RPM between the race or street manifolds!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:34 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

John@BGB
-Fantastic deltas! The torque seems to get fatter even as low as 2600rpm, on the race headers (Very impressed) Typically you loose a little down low, when you go catless, but the efficiency of the design is glaringly obvious when looking at the graph..

-Your thought's on the power dip in both hp & trq @ 7k rpm?
Old 10-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GT4 just got some PEDs to help catch up to Big Brother. That's a big gain in HP to say the least !! Now all we need is to get some new teeth !
Old 10-19-2015, 08:30 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Great to see you using the MAHA Dyno, which is the most accurate one available and very consistant from one machine to the next.

The race header system, are there zero cats in this system?
Old 10-19-2015, 09:37 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

How many of these mods are garage-reversible if you have to bring car in for work? I would assume just air intake and exhaust?

Would Porsche cancel warranty for just air intake and exhaust and is there any value in just doing those two mods with ecu or throttle body
Old 10-20-2015, 12:11 AM
bhgt2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be possible to do the tune only, without the other mods?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:36 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

50hp now we're talking Still scared to void that warranty though hah
Old 10-20-2015, 10:19 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

5 years later, i just learned how to proficiently use the multi-quote function!

Originally Posted by user1029
50hp now we're talking Still scared to void that warranty though hah
See below. Everything is reversible should it need to be put back to stock.

Originally Posted by bhgt2
Would it be possible to do the tune only, without the other mods?
Yes, but neither the tuner nor myself are suggesting that to people because of the cost of the flash and the gains it will produce. I do not believe anyone who is claiming 20 + hp from the tune on the GT4. I think that 10 is probably conservative enough for me without feeling like I'm selling snake oil. The stock file is already lean with enough ignition timing that it's already running on the edge of knock up top. The tune is the single most expensive upgrade in the Stage 1 kit and we are advertising it as something that will improve the curve, gain some mid-range torque and properly target the right AFR for the aftermarket manifolds but is something more to complement the upgrades and specifically turn off the CEL that will come as a result of the larger 82mm throttle body; maybe you just want 8K RPM but again we dyno tested that the car would require different cylinder heads to achieve true power up top beyond 7800RPM. Furthermore, in the off-season they will begin work on revising the firmware to expect the different gear ratios to maintain the auto-blipper function. My car will be the Guinea Pig for this. The tune and spare ECU make sense if you consider them as the final piece of the Stage 1 puzzle but it won't pass the sniff test by itself and we want to be on record as saying that we aren't pushing it as a standalone upgrade.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
How many of these mods are garage-reversible if you have to bring car in for work? I would assume just air intake and exhaust?

Would Porsche cancel warranty for just air intake and exhaust and is there any value in just doing those two mods with ecu or throttle body
Every single mod is reversible. If you have a lift, expect 2 - 3 hours to swap the manifolds back to stock; expect 2 - 3 hours to remove the carpet, get to the motor and swap the intake back to stock and put everything back in its placec. The ECU upgrade includes a 2nd virgin ECU so that you can go back to stock fully. The only discrepancy will be in the miles on the car vs. the miles on the original ECU. That's the only caveat. Why do i even bring it up? Because i'm too honest to a fault. Again, they're not going to cancel the warranty, you just aren't going to get free work done to troubleshoot a CEL but that's why i am here. Any time any CEL has popped up on a 981 swap, the customer has used the OBD scan device we provide and has sent the information to me to confirm that it's related to race headers or because they were bouncing the car off the rev limiter on the track.

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Great to see you using the MAHA Dyno, which is the most accurate one available and very consistant from one machine to the next.

The race header system, are there zero cats in this system?
Thanks. My friends in Germany have spared little to no expense on their resources. It's nice to work with folks that have all of the tools they need. The 3rd graph shows the manifolds without cats while the 2nd graph is with the manifolds with 200 cell cats. You still have the stock muffler system with the cans in all 3 dyno runs but the final graph assumes no cats in the manifold.

Originally Posted by RealityGT
John@BGB
-Fantastic deltas! The torque seems to get fatter even as low as 2600rpm, on the race headers (Very impressed) Typically you loose a little down low, when you go catless, but the efficiency of the design is glaringly obvious when looking at the graph..

-Your thought's on the power dip in both hp & trq @ 7k rpm?
Unfortunately since i began my short career, i have always seen a dip at 7K RPM on a Porsche. It's called the "Porsche Dip." This is where the Power Kit X51 manifold and cylinder heads really shine. While i don't think that the Porsche dip is that aggressive while on track, we have dyno tested these cars enough to know that until you start porting and installing things like X51 heads and manifold, you will have to live with the Porsche Dip to some extent. As for higher flow and maintaining torque, while we first looked at the Cayman's long exhaust tubing as a detriment, it occurred to us that it allows you to maintain good back pressure through a fairly open, race-style system. The car has something like 3.5 more feet of exhaust than a 911 so you can run a less restrictive, louder race system without seeing the fall-off in low-end torque that you would on a 911. If you think about the fact that even the least powerful street muffler system gains 10 more HP, think about what these numbers would be like with a real race muffler system and a flywheel and pulleys. I think there's another 25 hp right there for anyone who takes the GT4 off the street to full-track duty.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 10-20-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:25 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

P.S. It is no longer a requirement to remove the ECU and send out for copying. With a VIN the programmer can build your 2nd spare upgraded ECU. The procedure and the cost is a direct result of the work that's been executed; they don't want to put an OBD flashing protocol in the hands of folks that can have another tuner read it out. They have their own encryption that's equally as difficult to get around as the OEM's.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

They have their own encryption that's equally as difficult to get around as the OEM's.
I was about to ask about encryption. I thought Porsche had that locked down--clearly your tuner has decrypted it. Is this recent? Is it common? Does this open the door to retuning the turbos to bump up boost too?
Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The new SDI Siemens 9.1 firmware has the most advanced encryption on the market; this is what is in every 981/991 built after mid-2012. My guys in Germany were some of the first folks to get in there. Other tuners had also claimed that they had gotten passed it but their tunes were never quantified. Since then, more tuners, including my 987.2/997.2 partners have claimed to have gotten around it or are already around it. There are reports on other forums of other top tuning companies now inside the 981 with a flash available via OBD.

The problem is that if you don't encrypt your file, anyone who plugs into a car with your file can suck it out and reverse engineer it. It's for this reason that they went the cloned ECU route because they have gotten around it and are deep in it but don't want anyone to have access to that information.

As for the turbo platforms in the 991.2 and 981.2, I asked, they're already in there! I am waiting for someone with a 981.2 that wants a 991.2 motor swap and flash!

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!