Rennlist Member

Received 1,180 Likes on 507 Posts

Can someone pass me the beer too?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:36 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Anyway,

Not sure why you guys are so fixated on turbos. Seriously guys, most mags gleam their information from forums anyway. Last time I said I made an educated guess on it being the GT3 motor the next week some sites published it as 'fact'.

After my visit I just said there was a slight deviation. Not a completed change. DEVIATION.

Maybe when the heat dies down a bit I can say more.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:44 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Hi new guy! How u doing? May I suggest you should stay on the sideline and read and learn a bit more before posting?

So did you place your order for a boxer 4 turbo GT4? You can wait for that one. Think everyone else went a different direction though.

If you actually READ the regulations more closely, the engine FORMAT cannot be changed. General locations also can't be change, i.e. engine has to stay in front or behind the driver. Platform wise, it is no secret that behind the driver, the RSR is basically a Cayman. Mind you, the GT4CS has the whole GT3 Cup car front end too. Porsche have a ton of engineers working for them, engineering stuff is their job. A 911 and a Cayman shares a lot more than you think, hence why they can be made quickly on the same production line.

Originally Posted by Bausse9
I think we all keep missing the painful truth, and what is right there in what Whoopsy has said (and not said), and all the collective evidence.

Go back and look at Whoopsy’s post.He has not re-stated that the road car is NA. Only the racecar, and he has been careful to make the distinction. And the homologation rules can be waivered for engine specs (it says so in the regs). [Reference similar ‘tricks‘ when the RSR was homologated (albeit under GTE class) with its mid-mounted engine…].

Look at the other evidence for the road car – we’ve NOT heard definitive footage of the road going GT4, only the racecar. We HAVE seen the Spyder videos, where it mostly seems like a H4T, much more strongly than the 6-cyl we’re used to. Whoopsy HAS confirmed that the 'twins' will have the same engine. So the Spyder video is back on the table as our best evidence of what the GT4 engine will be. Don’t forget that before his visit to Weissach, Whoopsy was quite definitive about the engine format for the road car, but since the visit he has NOT re-confirmed that the road car is NA. He has ONLY confirmed this for the Clubsport. Why?

In fact, since his post, I've not seen any evidence that the road car is NA, and also looking at all the other collective evidence, vids etc. Therefore, the absolute strongest evidence to date is that the new 718 GT4 will use the 718 flat-4 turbocharged engine. In fact, even EVO magazine's article on the GT4 of a few days ago sits on the fence, whereas before they were all 'new GT4 gets 4.0' - now they're back to being unsure. Otherwise, why all the smoke and mirrors suddenly. Why would Whoopsy not simply make reference to what he advised before, or why not simply make reference to what all journalists have written. Why not simply say ‘this article is a good read guys’….

Its because the road car is not NA.

What Whoopsy did confirm is that the road going 718 GT4 is going to be ‘bespoke for a while’, i.e. ‘continue to be bespoke’ – now, what engine is bespoke (i.e. unique) to the 718? Yep, the flat-4 turbo…. Its the only engine that is actually bespoke to the 718. Whoopsy told us the answer right there. And no, the previous 3.8 is not bespoke to the GT4 either, it’s from the 991, as we all know, so it can’t be that either.

It’s a 4-pot! This is what we should all be discussing!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gatte
@Whoopsy: I have no idea how this question's not been asked so far...

Based on your drive of the new GT4, what's your opinion in comparison to the old one ?
When is the last time Porsche had a new car that's worse the out going one?

Based on what I know, I am sticking to the GT4CS and flying the Porsche flag, and not switching over to Aston or Mercedes or McLaren GT4s. Aston actually had already made me an offer.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:05 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,775 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
I'm amazed there are people in this thread still debating turbo 4 vs na 6. Some disabilities are starting to show through.
LMAO
Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Maybe when the heat dies down a bit I can say more.
All I want to know is the fuel cut rev limit and if it's like the 981. 7500 (on tach)+200 = 7700 or 7700 (on tach) + 200 = 7900. Whenever you feel comfortable sharing that.

Thanks for your information thus far. This thread has been one of my favorite threads on a car forum.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:46 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi new guy! How u doing? May I suggest you should stay on the sideline and read and learn a bit more before posting?

So did you place your order for a boxer 4 turbo GT4? You can wait for that one. Think everyone else went a different direction though.

If you actually READ the regulations more closely, the engine FORMAT cannot be changed. General locations also can't be change, i.e. engine has to stay in front or behind the driver. Platform wise, it is no secret that behind the driver, the RSR is basically a Cayman. Mind you, the GT4CS has the whole GT3 Cup car front end too. Porsche have a ton of engineers working for them, engineering stuff is their job. A 911 and a Cayman shares a lot more than you think, hence why they can be made quickly on the same production line.
Epic!

Whoopsy for president....
Old 05-22-2018, 10:53 AM
AutoquestMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bossing
Epic!

Well said lol
Old 05-22-2018, 01:41 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Old 05-22-2018, 03:14 PM
rave426
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
Epic!

If Trump can do it, surely Whoopsy can make a legitimate run lol
Old 05-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rave426
If Trump can do it, surely Whoopsy can make a legitimate run lol
But Whoopsy's Canadian.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:47 PM
markdk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't Canada our 51st state?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When is the last time Porsche had a new car that's worse the out going one?
718?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:28 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,643 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by otisdog
718?
Ha... Subjective... But I agree.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 224 Posts