Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:30 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Noting the comment about snake oil and downforce - whether someone uses it or not is a different matter. It's a GT car after all - it's there to be used. Some will chose to use it and others won't. To claim its snake oil is frankly utter crap - it really is.

Aero on track is a wonderful thing - 😀
Seriously? Downforce will always be there. They is no on/off switch. Its designed into this car. The only variable will be airspeed on the surfaces which determines how much of it will actually be there.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:34 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Seriously? Downforce will always be there. They is no on/off switch. Its designed into this car. The only variable will be airspeed on the surfaces which determines how much of it will actually be there.
I think he means that most wont leverage the capabilities of the provided downforce. Increased downforce helps you achieve X. Many won't be achieving or trying to do X.

Yes downforce is always there and doing its thing.

My take anyway.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:36 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Lol I have button to switch it on or off. Oh and yes I understand aero. The point I was making is that a lot of 981 GT4 owners seem not to value aero and therefore discount aero in the 718 - ipso facto they don't use it and res ipse loquitor don't understand it's importance other than in a superficial way.

To be brief aero is virtually impossible to develop outside OEM - you need a wind tunnel, dollars and track time to verify all aspects of development. Hey but go ahead and add a diy wing or ducktail - let us know how it works out

But thanks for posting / I never knew that lol
Old 07-14-2019, 10:46 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by hf1
Oftentimes more grip means less fun on backroads.
Not when you hit a tree.......and not when you're on public roads........
Old 07-14-2019, 10:52 AM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Not when you hit a tree..
Old 07-14-2019, 11:14 AM
flatt6
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

I read the snake oil comment as there may be more downforce but you may not notice it until you are chasing lap times at the track.

Someone else on the reviews thread also highlighted this bit...

The steering is basically good with a really natural rate of response, but the rim doesn't wriggle and writhe in your fingertips. It's actually pretty lifeless.

... It feels to me like a friendlier, less spiky sort of car at the limit - not that the previous version was especially fighty - with a more easy-going nature
Old 07-14-2019, 11:28 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Not when you hit a tree.......and not when you're on public roads........
You're more likely to hit a tree with more grip when having fun on backroads, and the hit will hurt more too as you'd be going much faster. And public backroads is exactly what I'm talking about.

Poor 73 RS saps paying $1mil+ for no grip jalopies on skinny tires. They know not what they are talking about. Driving a high-grip stead like it's "on rails" at 30% of available grip is where it's at.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Track duty aside... How can a car with an approximate 75mph second gear possibly be fun to drive around town? At least without getting arrested.... If you run it up in second to start taking advantage of the hp/torque, you're already probably in reckless driving territory. If you short shift into 3rd, you're too low in the band to make any meaningful power. What is Porsche's logic behind the gear choice?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:10 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Track duty aside... How can a car with an approximate 75mph second gear possibly be fun to drive around town? At least without getting arrested.... If you run it up in second to start taking advantage of the hp/torque, you're already probably in reckless driving territory. If you short shift into 3rd, you're too low in the band to make any meaningful power. What is Porsche's logic behind the gear choice?
AP said they needed the tall gearing to
meet fuel efficiency average regulations, and the gearing also works well on tracks like the Nürburgring.

For driving “around town”, you can’t really have much fun in any car without endangering your license and public safety. But for lots of noise and acceleration, just leave it in first gear - it gets to 80 km/h (50 mph).

For backroad driving, one can just treat it like an electric car and leave it in second all the time. Always in the right gear. Second gear tops out around 136 km/h (84 mph), which is ideal for overtaking on most North American highways, and the fastest I’d ever go on a back road if I wasn’t looking to lose my license.

It’s the same gearing as all other manual 981 and 982 cars, and the topic has been beaten to death.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
AP said they needed the tall gearing to
meet fuel efficiency average regulations, and the gearing also works well on tracks like the Nürburgring.

For driving “around town”, you can’t really have much fun in any car without endangering your license and public safety. But for lots of noise and acceleration, just leave it in first gear - it gets to 80 km/h (50 mph).

For backroad driving, one can just treat it like an electric car and leave it in second all the time. Always in the right gear. Second gear tops out around 136 km/h (84 mph), which is ideal for overtaking on most North American highways, and the fastest I’d ever go on a back road if I wasn’t looking to lose my license.

It’s the same gearing as all other manual 981 and 982 cars, and the topic has been beaten to death.
I know the topic has been covered before, I just don't understand why they release the new version of the car with the same gearing that people universally complained about....

While many owners will do track days in these cars... Most won't ever see the ring and probably 95% of the mileage will be on the street. I drove a GT3 touring last week, and the gearing was perfect. Leaving the car in a single gear negates the fun of having a manual. I don't understand why the gearing in the GT3 is so good and the GT4, not so much. The cost of the cogs can't be it... I would happily pay the GT3's gas guzzler tax on a GT4 to get the right gearsets. So close to being a magnificent car. I'm debating on the purchase of a GT3 touring right now and the GT4 had my interest. Personally, I think it's a better looking car. Sounds like it would be a snoozer around town though.... I'll have to try and drive one soon.
The following users liked this post:
Hdizzle (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 12:27 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

looks like a Dev stage Gt4 now undisguised and used for this presentation (as there's traces of masking tape on the back)... also it features some sort of addon on the rear wing side blades, and different combinations in the interior. You can notice it's been properly used for some time now. enjoy
Old 07-14-2019, 04:26 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
https://youtu.be/ilUESv3MSHw

looks like a Dev stage Gt4 now undisguised and used for this presentation (as there's traces of masking tape on the back)... also it features some sort of addon on the rear wing side blades, and different combinations in the interior. You can notice it's been properly used for some time now. enjoy
Lol, sounds like a vacuum cleaner from the outside.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:38 PM
groundhog
Race Car

I know the topic has been covered before, I just don't understand why they release the new version of the car with the same gearing that people universally complained about....

While many owners will do track days in these cars... Most won't ever see the ring and probably 95% of the mileage will be on the street. I drove a GT3 touring last week, and the gearing was perfect. Leaving the car in a single gear negates the fun of having a manual. I don't understand why the gearing in the GT3 is so good and the GT4, not so much. The cost of the cogs can't be it... I would happily pay the GT3's gas guzzler tax on a GT4 to get the right gearsets. So close to being a magnificent car. I'm debating on the purchase of a GT3 touring right now and the GT4 had my interest. Personally, I think it's a better looking car. Sounds like it would be a snoozer around town though.... I'll have to try and drive one soon.
There are plenty of variants to chose from whether it be 992 series or 718 series (if you don't like the tqe/ gearing) - try a few before leaping in. Also a lot is dependent on how and where you drive.

Keep in mind according to Rennadvice you should always buy a GT car with LWB - I think this is a big mistake for a lot of buyers and can make a very liveable car a difficult daily.

You see see a lot of very low mileage GT3s being traded - some of that is movement over to the 2/3RS, some is short term lease switching but there is a definite chunk that is "wrong car" for me syndrome which is a very valid reason to get out of something that isn't working for you and into something that does work for you.

Also at the end of the day you can put the design brief to one side but you will still have to live with it. The GT cars are very much designed and executed as trackable road cars and as such there are very real trade offs. To some these are trivial but to others they are not worth it in the longer term. For a lot of buyers the GTS variants are the best all round compromise

Last edited by groundhog; 07-15-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I don't understand why the gearing in the GT3 is so good and the GT4, not so much.
It’s all about having the extra 1,000 rpm redline that allows for better gearing in the GT3. The new GT4 has a higher top speed than the last one - not really possible to do much with the gearing - hell, they didn’t even bother to strengthen the gearbox to allow the new 4.0L motor make the torque it’s capable of making (340 ft-lbs). They stayed with the identical box which is limited to 309 ft-lbs...

To improve the GT4’s gearing with an 8,000 rpm redline, they’d need to lower top speed, make inefficient jumps between gears, or add additional ratios (coming with

No GT Porsche has ever done one of the first two...
Old 07-14-2019, 09:51 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Grant which component/ components in the gear box is/ are torque limited?

e.g. is there a component that actually limits it to 420Nm or is this a case of Porsche say the limit is 420Nm for the purpose of minimising warranty claims.

e.g. 2 - the PDK in the 991.2 GTS is limited to 550Nm in spite of the fact the cogs are from the Turbo/Turbo S............

Last edited by groundhog; 07-15-2019 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?