Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019 | 12:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bk_911
I think it's in the carfection interview where Andreas says in the 981 they named the button sport because they already had an off the shelf button and it was too late prior to production to change its label so they went with it.
They why did they use the name Sport 2 years later in the 991.2 GT cars?
Old 07-15-2019 | 12:49 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by GrantG
They why did they use the name Sport 2 years later in the 991.2 GT cars?
Leftover buttons? The 991.2 did come out before the GT4 so was "designed" earlier.
Old 07-15-2019 | 01:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
997.2 GT3 RS equivalent ratios would work great. No inefficient jumps or lowered top speed vs the GT4, and the shorter 2nd gear didn’t hurt that car at on the track in the slightest.
The way they achieved the 997.2 GT3 RS ratios actually did make the gap from 5th to 6th gear wider and more inefficient. They used a lower final drive (ring & pinion) and then modified 6th gear (taller) to retain Vmax. So they effectively lowered 5th gear (in addition to 1st through 4th) and kept 6th tall. This may be a totally fine trade-off (and probably one that I would prefer for most of my driving), but it certainly was trading away high speed acceleration in that bargain.

With the GT4, there are several corners where 2nd gear is optimal on the Nordschleife. If they were to gear the box for best Autocross performance and the typically slower road courses in the US (and to give us maximum fun on back roads), then I think there would be scant (if any) use for 2nd gear on that track (the one Porsche really cares about). Driving at the bottom of 3rd gear on the slower corners would make the Ring time slower (and they'd be using only 4 gears on the track compared to 5). And if they hit the limiter in 6th on Dottinger Hohe (or more likely exceeded 7,600 rpm on the Autobahn), that would obviously hurt too. And if there was a wider gap between 5th and 6th gears (or any others), that would come with a time penalty too.
Old 07-15-2019 | 02:08 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Of course you all know that the answer here is to wait and get a 7sp PDK GT4 with a shorter 2nd gear.
Old 07-15-2019 | 02:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Of course you all know that the answer here is to wait and get a 7sp PDK GT4 with a shorter 2nd gear.
Yes, hopefully the PDK will have 7 performance gears (and not just 6 like the Clubsport or all the other 718 and Carrera models - I think in the 992 both 7th and 8th gears are very tall overdrives for noise, emissions, and consumption reduction).
Old 07-15-2019 | 02:33 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

The way they achieved the 997.2 GT3 RS ratios actually did make the gap from 5th to 6th gear wider and more inefficient. They used a lower final drive (ring & pinion) and then modified 6th gear (taller) to retain Vmax. So they effectively lowered 5th gear (in addition to 1st through 4th) and kept 6th tall. This may be a totally fine trade-off (and probably one that I would prefer for most of my driving), but it certainly was trading away high speed acceleration in that bargain.

All gearing is a trade-off. One that Porsche has made countless times before. And every previous time they did they came to a very different conclusion vs the GT4.

When the 997.2 GT3 RS was carrying the flag against the GT-R at the Nurburgring they shortened the gears vs ratios that were already well shorter than the 981’s. In fact every 6 speed Porsche has featured a shorter 2nd. Even the 5 speed in the 964 3.6 Turbo used a noticeably shorter 2nd- you need to go all the way back to the 930’s 4 speed to find a taller 2nd gear (90 mph vs 84).

Did Porsche learn something new about how to gear a car in the last decade? Something that happens to be unique to the Cayman and does not apply to the 911 or GT3?

The acceleration chart I posted was recycled from the 981. If someone cares to revise for the 781 it will be fairly obvious that re-spacing the gears can result in virtually imperceptible loss on the higher end but a massive gain on the low end, one that would be felt not just at the autocross and on back roads but many tracks from Laguna Seca on down. In light of which it’s simply incredulous to think that Porsche chose an 84 mph 2nd for performance reasons.
Old 07-15-2019 | 02:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did Porsche learn something new about how to gear a car in the last decade?
Cornering speeds at the Ring are higher, due to improvements in tires, the track, and the chassis developments. And most models have higher Vmax as well (comparing like models), compared to a decade ago. Not saying this is enough to cause much difference to the gearing - just facts for consideration...
Old 07-15-2019 | 03:19 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

They gear it for both Autobahn and Racetrack (not plural), Nordschleife. I've done over 180 mph on that track in a current Porsche - lower gears there make no sense - it's a German car

Do Euro Delivery and you'll love the gearing there...
What car did you do over 180mph in at the Ring? I ran Daytona in a GT3 and barely hit speedo indicated 180 with a massive running start out of the bus stop. I'm certain it was lower on data, don't recall the specific number. I've never driven the ring (except on my sim) and there are for sure a few big straights, although they don't seem long enough to hit 180 in a production street Porsche.

I still find it silly to gear a car for two environments that most cars will never experience and compromise the driving experience for the other 99% of the cars. If my typical speed limit around town in my area is approximately 45 mph and taking into account I speed (which I do), I would essentially never leave first or second gear to have any reasonable response from the engine. So now you're the tool riding around at 5k rpm

Top speed, IMO, is for bragging rights and serves no real purpose in the real world. Even if you do run it to vmax on the Bahn, how long can you comfortably sustain that?
Old 07-15-2019 | 03:21 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

997.2 GT3 RS equivalent ratios would work great. No inefficient jumps or lowered top speed vs the GT4, and the shorter 2nd gear didn’t hurt that car at on the track in the slightest. I also don’t buy the idea that the tall gearing was required for emissions or cost. Both are like saying the 3.8 x51 or GT3 engines don’t fit- possibly technically true if you’re unwilling to do the slightest modifications, but not something Porsche engineers couldn’t easily overcome if they felt like it.

The real answer for why they won’t lower the gear ratios is both simple and one they can’t admit- it would make the car too good. Drop 2nd gear by 10 mph and you’d drop 0-60 by a few 10ths, harry GT3s at the autocross and make the car more enjoyable on back-roads. All of these would threaten or eclipse the nexts rungs up in Porsche’s cost/ performance ladder making those cars seem like significantly worse “value”. And while it is in Porsche’s interest to appeal to a hardcore audience on a relative budget it’s absolutely not in their interest to upset their apple cart. So much like the 944 turbo (the GT4’s spiritual predecessor) expect it to be hobbled until either it gets more expensive or the cars above it in Porsche’s lineup get faster (see the 944 Turbo S and the release of the 964).

Porsche can reduce the GT4’s gear ratios. They choose not to.
If I had to guess, I would say this is the real reason....
Old 07-15-2019 | 03:26 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
It’s just a matter of time until they produce a ***** to the wall one IMO.
They already have...it's called a GT3 and GT3RS
Old 07-15-2019 | 03:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deputydog95
What car did you do over 180mph in at the Ring? I ran Daytona in a GT3 and barely hit speedo indicated 180 with a massive running start out of the bus stop.
It was a 991.2 Turbo (loaner from Porsche Leipzig) - I got on the brakes much sooner than necessary too...

Old 07-15-2019 | 03:30 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Cornering speeds at the Ring are higher, due to improvements in tires, the track, and the chassis developments. And most models have higher Vmax as well (comparing like models), compared to a decade ago. Not saying this is enough to cause much difference to the gearing - just facts for consideration...
Good thought. Let’s do the math- say a corner was 1.4 G’s at 70 mph 10 years ago. Let’s say surface, tires, etc improved a modern cars grip to 1.5 G’s in that same corner. The new corner speed would be 72.4 mph, so a gain of 2.4 mph. Now I would suggest that the actual gain in grip between the 997.2 GT3 RS of 8 years ago and the 782 GT4’s will be less than that- the 997’s aero package is still making more downforce, etc, and yet the 781 GT4 is geared more than 10 mph taller in 2nd. So yes, being generous one could put perhaps 2 mph down to the effects you reference above. But that still leaves the vast majority of the gap unexplained...
Old 07-15-2019 | 03:36 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

It's obvious that the same 6 speed gearbox was reused in the 718 GT4 to reduce development cost and to avoid stepping on the 911's toes, like always. The idea that the ratios were 'optimized for the Nürburgring' is ridiculous since the 718 GT4's ratios are exactly the same as a 987.2 Boxster S and every other 6 speed 981 and 718. They just keep reusing it without modification.
Old 07-15-2019 | 03:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Btw, my buddy’s GT3 Touring was hitting much more peak lateral acceleration at Ring than 1.5g (without full aero benefit), in areas of track with compression, no doubt...

Old 07-15-2019 | 03:44 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chapmans
It's obvious that the same 6 speed gearbox was reused in the 718 GT4 to reduce development cost and to avoid stepping on the 911's toes, like always. The idea that the ratios were 'optimized for the Nürburgring' is ridiculous since the 718 GT4's ratios are exactly the same as a 987.2 Boxster S and every other 6 speed 981 and 718. They just keep reusing it without modification.
It’s worse than that. The base Boxster got shorter ratios lower Porsche could have used for free, they were sitting on the shelf. They chose not to....

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?