Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:26 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Geneva is next week so we'll see if they reveal the car.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:16 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Geneva is next week so we'll see if they reveal the car.
I assume Porsche would have already announced online, just like Ferrari announced their F8 Tributo today that's debuting at the Geneva show
Old 03-01-2019, 03:44 AM
4nroots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
I assume Porsche would have already announced online, just like Ferrari announced their F8 Tributo today that's debuting at the Geneva show
They haven’t announced any car online though. And the chance of them debuting nothing should be pretty small, no?
Old 03-01-2019, 03:49 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 4nroots

They haven’t announced any car online though. And the chance of them debuting nothing should be pretty small, no?
...like I said if Porsche didn't announce the GT4 already online they likely won't debut it at the Geneva show. Typically they announce online prior to the show, just like Ferrari just did
Old 03-01-2019, 04:31 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes but they haven't announced anything so that means they just may not have made the announcement yet! Personally I don't think it'll be there. My guess is Taycan.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:10 AM
4nroots
Advanced

...like I said if Porsche didn't announce the GT4 already online they likely won't debut it at the Geneva show. Typically they announce online prior to the show, just like Ferrari just did
...So are you saying that you do not think Porsche will take the opportunity to debut ANY car at this show? Since no car has had an online reveal

Also how do we know that the GT4 CS wasn't considered the online 'preview'? (Not saying this is correct)

Originally Posted by Gravs
Yes but they haven't announced anything so that means they just may not have made the announcement yet! Personally I don't think it'll be there. My guess is Taycan.
Taycan would be a nice reveal too - hopefully at least one of these two
Old 03-01-2019, 07:03 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I heard from my dealer that Porsche plans on building many more Gt4s and Spyders this go around. Similar to the increase in GT builds. He implied that in 2020 they may not build any base 718s. They know where the money is and those that want a car will likely be able to get one. Of course expect a healthy price increase.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:32 AM
GT4 981
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

I see the 718 Cayman T was announced. They continue to add model after model of this thing...

Old 03-01-2019, 08:45 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 146 Posts

I hope it'll be there just like everyone here! I remember when cj posted that there is a press embargo until Geneva. Perhaps Porsche changed the plans. Well see
Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

We will see on Monday then.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:55 AM
GT04VVV
AutoX

Seen a few times mentioned it could be revealed at Goodwood in July, though that seems to far off IMO.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:59 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by idyfohu
^ I'd say that the strut failure and a 3rd gear becoming 100% unusable are more than just the nuance or tradeoff of every car out there, especially on a ~100k product. Isolated, yes, a little unnerving, most definitely.
Originally Posted by chapmans
Yeah but this achilles heel will cost you 30k that is not covered by warranty and possibly send you into a tree or off the side of a canyon. It's a scary design flaw to have it possible that the strut pogos through the body if you hit a pothole or a rock.
I wasn't excusing the issue, but coming from an e46 M3 (sub frame issue), e90 M3 (rod bearing issue), wife's Acura MDX (oil consumption issue just announced and real), Golf GTI fuel and water pump issues, I just realize that there is always something and the internet blows these issues way out of proportion. Yes, these are rather big $ items, but should both be covered by warranty or insurance.

Out of all the 991 & 981 GT cars how many have failed so far? If you hit a pothole something will brake, yes it shouldn't be the car, but rather just the tire, wheel or suspension, but then again, we also want them to make these cars as light as possible,so they trim weight where they can, go to aluminum cast parts rather than steel forgings. Maybe in retrospect the wrong place to save a few pounds, but not always something that shows up in testing or on the computer simulation. Live and learn.

Please post your "where can I get clear film installed" and 981 Strut Tower failures in their own respective forums...
Sorry, hard to avoid it when you want to respond to posts that are in the "wrong" thread.

To bring the subject back on topic, someone just posted in the strut tower failure thread that the 718's have the same part numbers on the strut towers as the 981/991. So does that mean the GT4 will have the same issue? Maybe that is why things are moving a bit slower with the release of the GT4?
Old 03-01-2019, 12:46 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
I wasn't excusing the issue, but coming from an e46 M3 (sub frame issue), e90 M3 (rod bearing issue), wife's Acura MDX (oil consumption issue just announced and real), Golf GTI fuel and water pump issues, I just realize that there is always something and the internet blows these issues way out of proportion. Yes, these are rather big $ items, but should both be covered by warranty or insurance.

Out of all the 991 & 981 GT cars how many have failed so far? If you hit a pothole something will brake, yes it shouldn't be the car, but rather just the tire, wheel or suspension, but then again, we also want them to make these cars as light as possible,so they trim weight where they can, go to aluminum cast parts rather than steel forgings. Maybe in retrospect the wrong place to save a few pounds, but not always something that shows up in testing or on the computer simulation. Live and learn.

Sorry, hard to avoid it when you want to respond to posts that are in the "wrong" thread.

To bring the subject back on topic, someone just posted in the strut tower failure thread that the 718's have the same part numbers on the strut towers as the 981/991. So does that mean the GT4 will have the same issue? Maybe that is why things are moving a bit slower with the release of the GT4?
Agree, e46 had subframe issues, vanos issues, and front strut mount issues and my E28M5 had the plastic timing chain guides that just disintegrate - replacing all 24 valves added up real fast. There is always something with high performance cars. I don't think that Porsche has done anything for the 718 GT4. They didn't for the 991.2 (though they did for the 992) and the 718 shell is already in production so there's little chance they are going to change it. The 20" wheels are needed to clear the PCCBs, the only thing they could do is change the suspension somehow for a little more compliance/travel. Will be interesting to see how the part numbers there change if at all....
Old 03-01-2019, 01:31 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Agree, e46 had subframe issues, vanos issues, and front strut mount issues and my E28M5 had the plastic timing chain guides that just disintegrate - replacing all 24 valves added up real fast. There is always something with high performance cars. I don't think that Porsche has done anything for the 718 GT4. They didn't for the 991.2 (though they did for the 992) and the 718 shell is already in production so there's little chance they are going to change it. The 20" wheels are needed to clear the PCCBs, the only thing they could do is change the suspension somehow for a little more compliance/travel. Will be interesting to see how the part numbers there change if at all....
I have a E46 M3 and the subframe and vanos problems can at least be preemptively addressed. My concern with the GT4 strut tower failure is there is nothing you can do to prevent the failure at all, other than don't hit a pothole which is easier said than done. It seems the failure is often catastrophic not chronic like subframe.

I just hope they revise the casting to strengthen it for the new 718 GT cars.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:01 PM
matthewlesko
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts

People on this thread are gonna flame me bc I am always bringing up market / pricing...but I am gonna do it anyway. I searched for 2016 Caymans on Cargurus. Of the 132 for sale, 71 (!!) were GT4s. That is 54%. Inventory seems a bit heavy. People are still reaching for prices but feels like that has to correct imminently.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?