Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,086 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
My first thought about the spacing of the exhaust had to do with turbos, but it could also just be a function of the diffuser design. Remember that this is a big advantage of a mid-engined car potentially over a rear engined (see 911 RSR).

Excellent point.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm confused why everyone has their panties in a wad over the mule being registered two or three years ago. It's almost without a doubt a regular 718 by vin number, and still I would say extremely likely to be part of the GT4 project. I had more doubts about it being a GT4 project car before I saw the more developed version with the GT front bumper. You guys as the general public don't get to see a lot of first generation prototype cars in the flesh. They can range from a slightly modified current mass production car to something that was once an MP car that now looks like something from Mad Max. A 2014 registration has almost no significance. It would be really unlikely to see a completely one off car for a first gen prototype. The costs of a one of car are astronomical, and it wouldn't make any sense for an early evaluation. It's impossible to tell exactly what they're up to, but I would be shocked if they're not working on a GT4.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
CJ wasn't commenting about this car, he was making a general comment about test mules. And I'm not sure what your monitor shows, but that sticker looks clearly green on my computer and my phone.

The registration sticker is on the rear license plate... Blue and has the year and clocking mark, based on what I see, this car was registered August 2014.. so Julyish build.

And I've said this multiple times, I'm a former GLP driver, PCN member...Car gets serviced at Raeder...lol... Ring is 45mins away and I'm out there all the time for AWD and have local friends.. This is not new to me.

I don't even know who this CJ is, but they mix it all up and it's the stock looking ones that attract zero attention that tend to do the engine tests as they have to put a lot of KM's on without alerting everyone. The give away is the stickers... The thing is I think the second car might just have the motor in it... there is another give away. But I'm not ready to reveal until I see a close up of the rear...
Old 11-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I'm confused why everyone has their panties in a wad over the mule being registered two or three years ago. It's almost without a doubt a regular 718 by vin number, and still I would say extremely likely to be part of the GT4 project. I had more doubts about it being a GT4 project car before I saw the more developed version with the GT front bumper. You guys as the general public don't get to see a lot of first generation prototype cars in the flesh. They can range from a slightly modified current mass production car to something that was once an MP car that now looks like something from Mad Max. A 2014 registration has almost no significance. It would be really unlikely to see a completely one off car for a first gen prototype. The costs of a one of car are astronomical, and it wouldn't make any sense for an early evaluation. It's impossible to tell exactly what they're up to, but I would be shocked if they're not working on a GT4.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, the message is it is purely testing. The dates all tell the story when it come to production. Once we see a new sticker with GT4 bits on it then it deserves attention... for now it can be anything, The two GT4s that I saw well before the general public did both were current builds and still wired up as test cars. These so far are just early 718 mules that they are trying things out on. I've seen this same deal a hundred times...
Old 11-16-2017, 07:12 PM
cmosman
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of the spyshots were taken while the car was driven on the road. So -- why not ask the spy-shooter whether he heard NA/turbo PDK/manual. Both are very obvious.
All I am saying is - the cat is out of the bag, just someone ask the cat.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:34 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,618 Likes on 890 Posts

Spyder GT??? Same Suspension, wheels and tires from the GT4. Might be the first open top GT car.
This particular test car is sporting the GTS bumper like the earlier GT4 spy pic... which will swap for the GT4 version.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:42 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Can someone explain what the color stickers mean?

Blue means car or plate was registered in 2014? Green means what?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:31 AM
-Methanol-
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cmosman
Some of the spyshots were taken while the car was driven on the road. So -- why not ask the spy-shooter whether he heard NA/turbo PDK/manual. Both are very obvious.
All I am saying is - the cat is out of the bag, just someone ask the cat.
+1
Lot of spyshots, but no video or information about NA or turbo (may be electric car )
Old 11-17-2017, 03:51 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by laranja

Google it....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...tes_of_Germany
Old 11-17-2017, 08:20 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Wow spyder looks sweet!
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
CJ wasn't commenting about this car, he was making a general comment about test mules. And I'm not sure what your monitor shows, but that sticker looks clearly green on my computer and my phone.
I believe Cj was commenting on Viperguys logic (ie: aero car, etc) and seemed to support it.. he even went further and said there is likely a 718 rolling around with the new motor. Coming from a dealer principle and Porsche insider, I would tend to believe or at least hear his words.

Either way new cars are always good,
Old 11-17-2017, 04:42 PM
cmosman
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

To further the confusion, German "Auto Motor Sport" seems to think that, at least for the Spyder, a 4-cyl turbo will be used.
See here: https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
Old 11-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cmosman
To further the confusion, German "Auto Motor Sport" seems to think that, at least for the Spyder, a 4-cyl turbo will be used.
See here: https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
It wouldn't surprise me if both were.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 PM
toppestofkeks
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
It wouldn't surprise me if both were.
And yet there has never been any reason whatsoever to believe that it will. Every statement ever made by someone with any authority on the matter hinted towards a 6 cyl.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by laranja

green stands for turbodiesel option. yep.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?