Sponsored by: APR

Your Prediction: NEXT GT4 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:51 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Would hardly call it destroyed, and the R&T writers are simpletons worshiping only the god of torque.

I expect a very different result when EVO does their car of the year next month.
You wouldn't call 4 seconds a lap "destroyed"? Okay... I guess we have different perceptions of track performance.

So how about the rest of the prose; doesn't sound like they're "worshiping the god of torque" to me:

Of course, track cars are ultimately about the track. Back-of-an-SCCA-license-form calculations and familiarity with the 911 suggested the Porsche, the lightest car of the three, might keep the more powerful GT R honest at the NCM circuit, where the steering wheel is almost never straight. Wrong. The AMG was outrageously rapid, more than four seconds faster than the GT3. The GT R reminded us of the Viper ACR we had here two years ago in its rock-solid stability through NCM’s fast Turn 5, its outright grip on a sticky set of tires, and its composure under braking.

At least those are the subjective impressions of where the AMG saved time. When we started dissecting the VBOX data, it turns out that the Mercedes was indeed faster in those spots—but also everywhere else. The GT R hit the highest speeds on the straights, braked later, and carried more speed through the turns. Getting out of those turns was made easy, thanks to that yellow, knurled traction-control dial on the console. With the nine-position **** set dead-center, one can stand on the GT R’s right pedal as soon as the corner opens up.

For those chasing that last hundredth of a second—and there were a few at PCOTY—the GT R is the perfect tool. And that’s exactly what it feels like: a tool—a ruthless, brutally efficient device for systematically tearing apart lap times.

Objectively and subjectively they liked the actual performance of the GT-R and the ZL1 better than the GT3, ceding only the territory of "aural delights of the 9000rpm shriek" and fun of manual gearbox to the GT3.

Personally, I'd still get the 3. But that's solely because I'm a brand *****.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...r-of-the-year/
Old 11-04-2017, 10:28 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I realize there's some precedent for different series 911s being built concurrently (i.e. USMY 2005 Turbos and GT3s were 996 while Carreras were 997; 1989 Carrera2s were 3.2 Carreras and Carrera4s were 964s). But those were expensive, range-topping high profit models and production of them was just continued uninterrupted for that last year. It's hard to imagine Porsche retooling and reopening a 981 line that has been closed for nearly 2 years now, in order to build a low-volume, low-profit orphan that was never fast nor prestigious in the first place.

Heck, with the brand new GT3 getting destroyed in the R&T Best Driver's Car comparo by the MB GT-R and handily beaten by the Camaro ZL1, on track, in both objective performance and subjective feel... maybe Porsche has other things to focus on!
I wonder how many MB GT-R's we will see on track next season, LOL.

tons of GT3's and GT4's (as well a regular 911's and Caymans) at every event i go to...not too many Merc's...thinking those will be C&C crowd, so lap times are a moot point.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Same. Bumped HP.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 AM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...1-gt3-flat-six

How accurate is autocar? According to them it's going to be detuned GT3 engine.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by konaforever
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...1-gt3-flat-six

How accurate is autocar? According to them it's going to be detuned GT3 engine.
About as accurate as any other journalist that doesn't quote a source. Looks like a wild guess with a 50% chance of being correct. Let's face it, there are only 2 options once you rule out forced induction. Hard to charge £40k/$50k more for a GT3 if they fit the current GT3 replacement motor though, so something has to give.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
About as accurate as any other journalist that doesn't quote a source. Looks like a wild guess with a 50% chance of being correct. Let's face it, there are only 2 options once you rule out forced induction. Hard to charge £40k/$50k more for a GT3 if they fit the current GT3 replacement motor though, so something has to give.
^^^This
Old 11-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Autocar are normally spot on
Old 11-21-2017, 02:01 PM
toppestofkeks
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
^^^This
The spyshot photographer should be able to tell though. I mean, they are in such close proximity to the car, you are bound to be able to hear the difference.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by toppestofkeks
The spyshot photographer should be able to tell though. I mean, they are in such close proximity to the car, you are bound to be able to hear the difference.
id be willing to bet a video surfaces in the next month from the same photographer. Maxing out photo sales before selling a vid.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:40 PM
toppestofkeks
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
id be willing to bet a video surfaces in the next month from the same photographer. Maxing out photo sales before selling a vid.
What's also interesting to note is that we've seen two different versions of the gt4 prototype is the past 2 weeks, which leads me to believe that Porsche have recently started to dedicate more resources to the development to the gt4. I expect we will find out more relatively soon.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:20 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

On a German forum they are talking about a GT4RS with 4.0 and PDK. Supposedly 2 people, somewhat in the know ??????, sold their GT4s and signed up for that model. But as always no confirmation. Everybody is waiting on sound clips of the mules.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
On a German forum they are talking about a GT4RS with 4.0 and PDK. Supposedly 2 people, somewhat in the know ??????, sold their GT4s and signed up for that model. But as always no confirmation. Everybody is waiting on sound clips of the mules.
Interesting.

Wasnt the german forum stating the 718 GT4 would be turbo car too?
Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Makes sense, it would give Porsche a competitive base for the next GT4 clubsport without trampling the GT3... Too much. No manual no care for me and even in RS form I bet it'll still be significantly detuned from the GT3's 500hp, otherwise it's too close to a cup car. 440hp maybe if the 718 GT4 lands at around 415hp?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:55 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Interesting.

Wasn't the german forum stating the 718 GT4 would be turbo car too?
Yes. They claim regular GT4/Spyder with turdbo and GT4RS with NA due to homologation. But the guess is only a GT4RS since it doesn't make sense for 2 different motors. Price guess for GT4RS with PDK is 115k - 125k base.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
If I were Porsche, this is what I would do, and my current theory for what I think they will do...

I would make a GT4 RS mainly for homologation into the GT4 racing class. The current GT4 in US racing series like the Pirelli World Challenge and IMSA is the limiter for the whole field. The GT4 runs maxed out and all the other cars get throttle limitations to bring them down to the Cayman level. I would make just enough RS's to meet homologation rules and price it high to fit in the hierarchy with the other GT cars. It would be NA with the GT3 4.0 de-tuned by some amount to fit in the hierarchy. It would be near impossible to get for non VIP's. Maybe even tough for them. This would prevent it from upsetting GT3 and other 911 sales.

I would also make a regular GT4 using the turbo 4. It would be faster than the GTS but fit nicely in the hierarchy. Availability would be relatively high and the price would be 10-15% more than the 981 GT4. This would bring more credibility to the 4 banger by putting it in the "halo car" of the category and open the door for future "regular" GT cars being turbo (excluding GT2).
The above quote of myself from another thread is what I guessed back in June. It was not well received then, but it is lining up well with current rumors. FWIW, this is not what I want them to do from an enthusiast perspective, but from a corporate perspective, it would make sense...

Quick Reply: Your Prediction: NEXT GT4 Engine