Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

PTS Olympic Blue GT4 FS at Hennessy Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, being as this is my local Porsche dealer, wire me the money and I'll gladly pick it up and deliver it to you in Arizona!
Old 07-12-2017, 12:42 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 396 Posts

It's a very special car and in this color, even more special.

GLWS!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:47 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I'd pay them MSRP for it - $106,570. Not a dime more. Maybe a nickle more if they gave me a free T-shirt or something. Remember, the price of the PTS is already included in the MSRP.

I'd fly out and drive it to AZ. But then I'd have to find someone who wants my GT3 allocation. That might be a tough one!
Old 07-12-2017, 07:44 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Remember, the price of the PTS is already included in the MSRP.
LOL, but the pain-in-the-*** of configuring and getting approval for a PTS isn't. And the extended wait for a car isn't. And the "will this look good and will I love it?" is off the table since the 2nd-hand buyer can look at it in person. Oh, and perhaps most of all: if you want an Olympic Blue 981GT4, and especially one with under 200 miles? Guess what the price is.

And for that matter, the "specialness" of a 2011 GT3RS4.0 or a Carrera GT is baked into the MSRP; why don't they sell for MSRP?

It's your call, of course, whether you'll pay MSRP + $0.10 for this car. But it's clear that Hennessy would be a collection of fools to sell it for that.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:35 AM
dawgsontop
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
LOL, but the pain-in-the-*** of configuring and getting approval for a PTS isn't. And the extended wait for a car isn't. And the "will this look good and will I love it?" is off the table since the 2nd-hand buyer can look at it in person. Oh, and perhaps most of all: if you want an Olympic Blue 981GT4, and especially one with under 200 miles? Guess what the price is.

And for that matter, the "specialness" of a 2011 GT3RS4.0 or a Carrera GT is baked into the MSRP; why don't they sell for MSRP?

It's your call, of course, whether you'll pay MSRP + $0.10 for this car. But it's clear that Hennessy would be a collection of fools to sell it for that.
Hennessy is wonderful. My understanding is that they also don't markup new GT cars (only used), don't take deposits, and prioritize local customers. Could be wrong though, just what I've been told.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:16 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

They are fishing for the one guy who MUST have gulf blue and doesn't have enough common sense to realize that the color doesn't make the car and doesn't justify the premium. PTS premium, as stated by bill, is baked into the msrp. The frenzy about pts is because people think it is a big lottery ticket when it's really more of a scratch off ticket. Your sample of buyers willing to eat scratch off ticket winnings would be fairly large, but over a big lottery ticket is pretty small and is probably only handful. Pts is not an automatic jackpot. You need to find a buyer. The vast majority care about the car, not a special color. Of course, you'll get the one guy who thinks the car is some big future investment and must have it for the collection. That is who they are fishing for. It's a poor investment, though, especially if it is never driven.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:41 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Hello, Joe. Not sure why you think the only reason a person would pay a premium is because they see it as an investment that will return an even higher premium in the future. I would say the majority of potential PTS premium buyers, myself included if I were to buy one for a premium, would be doing so for no other reason then a) we have the money to do so, and B) we want the color. Since color doesn't diminish in anyway the road and track capabilities of the GTS, it makes sense to spend your money on one that brings extra pleasure because you like the color more and find it unique.

I would say very few buyers at this point are thinking of it as some big investment. The vast majority of Porsche buyers realize that whatever they are getting, they're going to lose money on it.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Beautiful example of as close to new and unique gt4 as it gets. Plus it has all the essentials (VERY well specced) such as carbon trim, LWB and full leather interior -- if I was not so dead seat on Agate - I'd pick this up.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:37 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I actually believe PTS is worth a premium...rare'ish car, terrific car, super rare color...just makes the car that much more enjoyable especially if it's a color you absolutely love.

To me, these cars are underpriced for what you are getting so a premium for PTS is no biggie...similar to the Mustang GT350Rs...low'ish price so guys pay over since it's so good.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
They are fishing for the one guy who MUST have gulf blue and doesn't have enough common sense to realize that the color doesn't make the car and doesn't justify the premium. PTS premium, as stated by bill, is baked into the msrp. The frenzy about pts is because people think it is a big lottery ticket when it's really more of a scratch off ticket. Your sample of buyers willing to eat scratch off ticket winnings would be fairly large, but over a big lottery ticket is pretty small and is probably only handful. Pts is not an automatic jackpot. You need to find a buyer. The vast majority care about the car, not a special color. Of course, you'll get the one guy who thinks the car is some big future investment and must have it for the collection. That is who they are fishing for. It's a poor investment, though, especially if it is never driven.
There's really not a lot of logic to buying these cars in the first place. Passion? yes. I can't explain why I'm obsessed with one day owning a Gulf Blue Porsche I just am. Will I one day? Probably, as it's generally been my pattern to set a goal and then achieve that goal. But maybe not. We'll see. Personally, I never, ever buy a car thinking I'm going to make money off it. I'm not fooled by the current market bubble, cars depreciate. And even if they don't the cost of ownership usually outstrips the profit you could make putting the money wisely elsewhere. If I bought this car it would be driven on all days except when the Spyder itch got ahold of me or when the snow flies. And I would probably have to take it to the track as that is really where you find out what it's all about. But alas, it's all a dream. Today. Try not to make too many assumptions about other peoples motives. It will make life easier for you.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Hello, Joe. Not sure why you think the only reason a person would pay a premium is because they see it as an investment that will return an even higher premium in the future. I would say the majority of potential PTS premium buyers, myself included if I were to buy one for a premium, would be doing so for no other reason then a) we have the money to do so, and B) we want the color. Since color doesn't diminish in anyway the road and track capabilities of the GTS, it makes sense to spend your money on one that brings extra pleasure because you like the color more and find it unique.

I would say very few buyers at this point are thinking of it as some big investment. The vast majority of Porsche buyers realize that whatever they are getting, they're going to lose money on it.
Unfortunately, not everyone thinks rationally like you. I think you are in the minority when it comes to PTS. Most think it is 'money in the bank' and think they can capitalize on it. Pts is cool and getting a color you like is cool, but not at exorbitant premiums. Small premium, yes.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:23 PM
gt9729b
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvinta
There's really not a lot of logic to buying these cars in the first place. Passion? yes. I can't explain why I'm obsessed with one day owning a Gulf Blue Porsche I just am. Will I one day? Probably, as it's generally been my pattern to set a goal and then achieve that goal. But maybe not. We'll see. Personally, I never, ever buy a car thinking I'm going to make money off it. I'm not fooled by the current market bubble, cars depreciate. And even if they don't the cost of ownership usually outstrips the profit you could make putting the money wisely elsewhere. If I bought this car it would be driven on all days except when the Spyder itch got ahold of me or when the snow flies. And I would probably have to take it to the track as that is really where you find out what it's all about. But alas, it's all a dream. Today. Try not to make too many assumptions about other peoples motives. It will make life easier for you.
Why not just get an aftermarket paint job or wrap?
Old 07-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Gorgeous car, but looks darker than Gulf by a fair bit to me. $130k, just for a specific paint job?
Old 07-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Gorgeous car, but looks darker than Gulf by a fair bit to me. $130k, just for a specific paint job?
It's a bargain compared to the RS (997/991) cars that are PTS. I couldn't imagine paying 60-70 more for PTS car.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:28 PM
gt9729b
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
It's a bargain compared to the RS (997/991) cars that are PTS. I couldn't imagine paying 60-70 more for PTS car.
It's still just paint! Lots of places can paint cars, not just factories.

Quick Reply: PTS Olympic Blue GT4 FS at Hennessy Atlanta