Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 11:40 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
Good news. Porsche approved the warranty repair on my car. Gearbox already inbound from Germany. Supposed to be here Wednesday. Fingers crossed it makes it here without damage.

Stopped in to see it today so that I could grab my Aim and smarty cam out of it. I have COTA this weekend so I won't have my GT4. But... I do have this guy as my backup car

- Chris.
Wow... 3 Porsches and an Audi (S4?) nice!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Wow... 3 Porsches and an Audi (S4?) nice!!!
Close! S6! Good eye haha!

- Chris.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:17 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Just curious, has anyone who had the transmission replaced under warranty asked the question about what is different with the replacement transmission that it won't just happen again? How does anyone gain confidence that their car is now ok?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Just curious, has anyone who had the transmission replaced under warranty asked the question about what is different with the replacement transmission that it won't just happen again? How does anyone gain confidence that their car is now ok?
No assurance other than the car is still under warranty so if it breaks again, it will be replaced again.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Next will come requests for extended warranty and reimbursement for lost drive time/ lease payments. As well as a free week at Barber Porsche center ? That would be nice.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:35 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Next will come requests for extended warranty and reimbursement for lost drive time/ lease payments. As well as a free week at Barber Porsche center ? That would be nice.
I was thinking some credit at the closest Porsche Experience Center might help.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you can now count me in, member of the exclusive (?) club of 3rd gear failures. And I will indeed ask my sales rep how he is going to make me happy again, because going home midday after a fantastic forenoon on track is not exactly fun.

As for most, gearchange 2nd to 3rd, some shudder, 3rd gear gone. 4500miles, about 20% track.

Car still under warranty. Will certainly ask what the new gearbox has seen on improvements to give back confidence in the car.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:47 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 668 Posts

^ Sven76 - so sorry to hear! Hope the fix is quick and they make you happy again. Will be interested to hear if they share any info about improvements in the replacement gearbox.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven76
Well, you can now count me in, member of the exclusive (?) club of 3rd gear failures. And I will indeed ask my sales rep how he is going to make me happy again, because going home midday after a fantastic forenoon on track is not exactly fun.

As for most, gearchange 2nd to 3rd, some shudder, 3rd gear gone. 4500miles, about 20% track.

Car still under warranty. Will certainly ask what the new gearbox has seen on improvements to give back confidence in the car.
The club is becoming less and less exclusive.

How is the GT4 community doing in Germany? Are all the tracked GT4s losing them there too?
Old 06-11-2017, 12:08 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

I'm just enjoying the loaner Cayenne. Sports cars are sports cars, I never drove a luxury car for a week. The Cayenne is great, it makes me see why people enjoy Macans so much. (All the positives of the pepperwagon, but easier to maneuver and lower to the ground.)
Old 06-11-2017, 02:33 AM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
The club is becoming less and less exclusive.

How is the GT4 community doing in Germany? Are all the tracked GT4s losing them there too?
There are some on PFF (German forum), the three other GT4 drivers on the event yesterday didn't know about it, but some instructors confirmed that at least two GT4 driven in the Porsche SportsCup series had failures.

I believe there are not so many around with almost 1000 miles on track, plus I am not exactly a slow driver, referenced against a Pro I lose 2-3 seconds. Of course, you have some guys who have done a few hundred rounds Nordschleife without any issue...

@Yargk: Already have a Macan, so they better come up with a sportscar

Last edited by Sven76; 06-11-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:34 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sven76

@Yargk: Already have a Macan, so they better come up with a sportscar
Tried to get a sports car too, the Cayenne barely fits in the garage!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:09 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,193 Likes on 639 Posts

Still would be great to have the data base updated. It would be useful to those who have had a failure. It also would be good to send to whoever is in charge of warrenty claims for Porsche in Atlanta . It's a big company who knows how aware they are of the problem? They never admitted the problem with the 991.1 GT3 engines after the initial stop sale when they first came out. The 991.2 GT3 engine it a big redesign for a reason . Carl
Old 06-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Nagata-San
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by steve0827
Per 4carl's suggestion in the GT4 database thread, I've decided to set up a new "database" to give us a better way of tracking these failures.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Feel free to either PM me or post in this thread with the following info:

Username - Nagata-San

Date of manufacture
- May/june 2016

Total miles 5350 miles

Number of track days 5

Estimated track miles 1000

The failed gear - 3rd

Brief recount of the failure - lost gear in a straight, going 5-4-3

Tires - Brand new Michelin Cup 2

Other relevant info
- Stock 100%

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions as to what other data points we should be tracking/if I should remove any of the others.

Can't open docs at job, but you can add me to the base.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
No assurance other than the car is still under warranty so if it breaks again, it will be replaced again.
I just find it bizarre that no-one has asked the question (or if they have, have not reported it back here).

Here is how I imagine a conversation might go:

Customer - "Hey, my car no longer has a 3rd gear, can you fix it?"

Dealer - "Sure, bring it in, we'll take a look"

Customer - "Will do. Bit unusual, though, losing a 3rd gear. Not really ideal on a <insert country of purchase MRSP here> car?"

Dealer - "Yes, well, might have to ask head office about that. Meanwhile we have replaced the transmission on your car, its as good as new!"

Customer - "Ok great. Uhmm, is this transmission built the same way as the last one? Isn't it just going to happen again? I dont really want to keep coming back and replacing transmissions. Not my cup of tea."

Dealer - "Its all fixed, ya'll come back now y'hear"

Customer - "But I dont want to come back, thats the point"

Dealer - "Bye!"

Customer - Sadly hops into car and drives off.

Is this really how it plays out?

Quick Reply: GT4 Transmission Failure "Database"