Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Used GT4 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:34 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

So I am thinking about selling my car now. I picked it up in August and have put on about 3K miles. The car has no options in Gaurds Red w/ Grey wheels. I have added clear bra, Cquartz, window tint, front springs and an alignment which required rear toe links. I have (2) sets of wheels and the car is in pretty much new condition. Selling as it is a redundant car for me, so my wife and I are looking for another vert. I have about $90K in the car and thinking this was a good place but any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:34 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

Looks like a 12 year olds idea. Why not add neon lights .
I take it you haven't seen the night photos.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:35 AM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
So I am thinking about selling my car now. I picked it up in August and have put on about 3K miles. The car has no options in Gaurds Red w/ Grey wheels. I have added clear bra, Cquartz, window tint, front springs and an alignment which required rear toe links. I have (2) sets of wheels and the car is in pretty much new condition. Selling as it is a redundant car for me, so my wife and I are looking for another vert. I have about $90K in the car and thinking this was a good place but any opinions would be appreciated.
Buckets?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:41 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Nada, no buckets. Without dussusing the why, my preference was a base car with heated (2) way sport seats, extended tank, smokers package and thats it.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:02 PM
kiger0183
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
In my opinion, if you put this up for $90k, it will sell quickly. (even without buckets).
Old 09-23-2016, 02:23 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been shadowing the market for GT4 for 2 weeks now. While my data is imperfect because I don't know what they sell for when they sell, I've been seeing low optioned GT4s going near MSRP or just over & high-optioned GT4s sitting. That said, all the more highly optioned GT4 are asking 10% + over MSRP.

I have many cars that are still on the list before I made it and it's unclear how long they were up before I started.

Buckets seat cars do (anecdotally) sell faster or at least have higher interest levels based on the traffic you see on those. If you go up at 90K, you will be among only a handful of GT4 cars asking less than 100K.

GLWS.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:31 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Got mine in August 2015 as well and planning on selling mine too after I get this parking brake fixed and slap a new tire on a sidewall puncture today. Realizing I could do just as much as I do now with a much cheaper P-car like a used CS or even a 718. Gonna start and see what the dealer is offering first.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:57 PM
stone911
AutoX

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Carmine red? They had that (and a 918 and an RS) when I was there couple of weeks ago for service (they offered MSRP for mine at the same time).
Anyone able to buy GT4 off the lot in bay area for MSRP ? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's only my opinion, but I think there is too much stress on MSRP and prices relative to MSRP.

I bought the car, because at my driving level, I need something a bit more than an S. A GTS probably would have been OK, but at the prices they were selling at, I decided a GT4 made more sense. I had an e90 M3 I tracked for about a year, and it wasn't cheap. In fact it was more expensive over the time I owned it than my 09 GTR. It was half the upfront cost though.

After owning that car, and because my work schedule is crazy, I realized I wanted a track car that I didn't have to fiddle with. Yes, the GT4 isn't perfect, but once again, for my skill level and track usage, its more than sufficient. I looked at the cost, looked at what was available at the time, and then decided the price to value (value including both future monetary and non monetary aspects) ratio was worth it, for me.

This is the first Porsche I've owned, and perhaps I am talking out of my .... But it seems MSRP is an arbitrary value when it comes to pretty much all GTX cars. If I'm not mistaken, almost all of them for the last few years have never sold at MSRP (if you don't have some sort of connection or don't get lucky).

Yes, I understand that everyone wants to pay as little as possible for a car, but setting that value at MSRP seems a bit random given the history of most GTX cars. Like I said, I definitely could be wrong on many levels, and if so, please feel free to correct me. I'm always open to learning something new.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:32 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

Paid under for the 991 GT3 and paid over for the GT4. Net zero.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,704 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by gtreddy
It's only my opinion, but I think there is too much stress on MSRP and prices relative to MSRP.

I bought the car, because at my driving level, I need something a bit more than an S. A GTS probably would have been OK, but at the prices they were selling at, I decided a GT4 made more sense. I had an e90 M3 I tracked for about a year, and it wasn't cheap. In fact it was more expensive over the time I owned it than my 09 GTR. It was half the upfront cost though.

After owning that car, and because my work schedule is crazy, I realized I wanted a track car that I didn't have to fiddle with. Yes, the GT4 isn't perfect, but once again, for my skill level and track usage, its more than sufficient. I looked at the cost, looked at what was available at the time, and then decided the price to value (value including both future monetary and non monetary aspects) ratio was worth it, for me.

This is the first Porsche I've owned, and perhaps I am talking out of my .... But it seems MSRP is an arbitrary value when it comes to pretty much all GTX cars. If I'm not mistaken, almost all of them for the last few years have never sold at MSRP (if you don't have some sort of connection or don't get lucky).

Yes, I understand that everyone wants to pay as little as possible for a car, but setting that value at MSRP seems a bit random given the history of most GTX cars. Like I said, I definitely could be wrong on many levels, and if so, please feel free to correct me. I'm always open to learning something new.
WOW and you are new to porsches?
you know what you are taking about, and i been porschephile 30 years.
bravo and welcome
Old 09-24-2016, 02:36 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Never met someone who regretted a Porsche GT car purchase. Just buy. Enjoy. Rinse. Repeat. Don't worry or think too much.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:05 AM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Before you read another word, know that I'm not taking those last two posts personally. I don't even disagree with either of you. But, you have to jump in when you are ready to jump in.

I am coming in completely unfamiliar to the Porsche world. My total track experience is exactly 8 runs in a track-prepped Miata. I'm hugely under qualified on every level to know what I am looking at, other than I like looking at it a lot.

For me, looking at what cars come up for sale and how much and how long they sit, or not, is fun. It consumes my brain in interesting ways that helps me have a better work/life balance. It's how I process decisions. It helps me understand the cars. It helped me find new resources like the excellent P-car Vin decoder. For me, and everyone is different, it's fun to spend a bit of time cataloging what's available. It helps me understand what to look for.

I am a bit price sensitive because I just dropped a non-trivial amount of money on a new daily driver sedan. For some perspective, I realize a lot of my posts are about this, but cataloging MSRP is just 1 column in a spreadsheet with many columns.

A little off-topic, but every GT4 I've seen in person has a lot of underside scratches, even with 50 miles on the odometer. This has made me question it's practically. For GT4 owners that drive the car more than you track it, are you finding how low it sits to be a real pain in your ***?

For me, a GTS or GT4 would be my toy car. The one I have to drive instead of my daily driver sedan which drives itself (Tesla P100D). It's a car that goes out on Fridays (sometimes) and the weekends (a lot of the time.) It's not my daily driver. It goes to a few driving schools and beginner/entry-level blue & purple track days maybe 3-5 times a year. I don't want to be that guy at the track with more money than brains. It's likely way too much car for me and I know this. I know I should stay in an entry-class Miata. But I don't like that car except as a track car and having a track only car when you don't track that much doesn't make sense to me. I want a car that lives off the track I have to drive, that I can drive to the track and it has a good chance of driving home. I want something I like looking at and driving. The GT4 and GTS and even the Cayman S (some of the time) checks a lot of those boxes.

Last edited by rennlistdavid; 09-24-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:32 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

You can't understand the allure until you drive one. They suck you in.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Unfortunately, as much as you study it won't give you the answer. I suppose if you want to make a decision based upon experience, you'll need to attend a PEC school. But even then, I don't know how many MTs you'll get to drive. Most of us buy a car we really like, a car that speaks to us, and then move toward the track with the car we like. Too many people sit on the sidelines waiting, they think, for the perfect situation. But rationally you know that this is a pretty evasive goal. Most of us just jump in, somewhere, and see where it leads us. But the key, imo, is to jump in.
If you already spent a lot on a DD, find something you'll enjoy driving as a toy, not just on the track. And try to get the newest one possible, hopefully with some warranty left, while also leaving some funds left over for tires, brakes, mods addressing known weaknesses of that particular vehicle. But jump in. You won't be sorry.

Quick Reply: Used GT4 Prices