Sponsored by: APR

Used GT4 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGhost
Any chance these cars could go up to like $150K?
Not likely unless that's it for the GT4, no 718 GT4's and beyond. Once the 718 comes out, the 981 GT4's will go down unless the 718 is turbocharged, even then I just don't see the GT4 reaching GT3 prices.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:43 AM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Not likely unless that's it for the GT4, no 718 GT4's and beyond. Once the 718 comes out, the 981 GT4's will go down unless the 718 is turbocharged, even then I just don't see the GT4 reaching GT3 prices.
No idea about ultimate GT4 values, however Ynot, I can see GT3 values plummeting if their engine problems become wider spread after warranty expiration. No one wants a ticking time-bomb out of warranty. (Even though IMS and RMS problems allegedly plagued a very small percentage of cars, it is a known issue and does impact prices and desirability.) I wouldn't buy a 991 GT3, unless new and planned to sell prior to warranty expiration, at least until there is some longer-term reliability data; i.e., at least a few years after the bulk of these cars come out of warranty. In other words, I can see a scenario where GT4s become more valuable than same year GT3s, although entirely speculative.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RNGRJAG
No idea about ultimate GT4 values, however Ynot, I can see GT3 values plummeting if their engine problems become wider spread after warranty expiration. No one wants a ticking time-bomb out of warranty. (Even though IMS and RMS problems allegedly plagued a very small percentage of cars, it is a known issue and does impact prices and desirability.) I wouldn't buy a 991 GT3, unless new and planned to sell prior to warranty expiration, at least until there is some longer-term reliability data; i.e., at least a few years after the bulk of these cars come out of warranty. In other words, I can see a scenario where GT4s become more valuable than same year GT3s, although entirely speculative.
IIRC, only the 2014 GT3's had engine issues, they have all been recalled, engine has been swapped, warranty extended. 2015 and beyond doesn't have engine issues.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:32 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Nope, there is a massive thread on this. All GT3s and possibly the RS (assumed) have an oiling issue, it's just a matter of time. Porsche still does not have a solve that is proven. If you own a 991 GT3, it's just a matter of time before you either need a new motor or top end. For people in the know, the "value" of a GT3 just dropped a bit. I'm grossly oversimplifying this a bit, but the gist is Porsche stepped in it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...laced-126.html
Old 10-10-2016, 12:13 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Nope, there is a massive thread on this. All GT3s and possibly the RS (assumed) have an oiling issue, it's just a matter of time. Porsche still does not have a solve that is proven. If you own a 991 GT3, it's just a matter of time before you either need a new motor or top end. For people in the know, the "value" of a GT3 just dropped a bit. I'm grossly oversimplifying this a bit, but the gist is Porsche stepped in it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...laced-126.html
Good to know, although I think the 991 GT3 is the best looking GT3, I would never get a PDK GT3, almost an oxymoron for me. GT3 to me is suppose to be the most engaging, most fun, and most challenging to drive.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:04 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ynot
IIRC, only the 2014 GT3's had engine issues, they have all been recalled, engine has been swapped, warranty extended. 2015 and beyond doesn't have engine issues.
Don't know about the 2016. But the 2015 def do.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:32 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

I think it really depends on what Porsche puts out as a replacement in ~2 years.
If it is a TT 4cyl the GT buyers may not like it and the 2016 GT4 will become iconic

Personally, I think the GT4 deserves it - I have never felt so connected with a car right from the first drive and feel i could enjoy it for 10 yrs plus
Old 10-11-2016, 06:43 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe they can borrow the sweet 5cyl from Audi TTRS and hook it up to the new gt4.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:28 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am fairly new to all this porsche stuff so my opinion is worth $0, but I made sure to get a GT4 because I can not see the next iteration not being a turbo 4.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:13 AM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Why do I have a the feeling there are going to be a lot of irritated people, in a few years, that never drove their cars because they speculated... I never understood new car speculation, there are literally 100's of other ways to get a better ROI than speculating on car values.

Just drive it
Old 10-12-2016, 02:44 AM
drwuss
Racer

Originally Posted by gtreddy
Why do I have a the feeling there are going to be a lot of irritated people, in a few years, that never drove their cars because they speculated... I never understood new car speculation, there are literally 100's of other ways to get a better ROI than speculating on car values.

Just drive it
If your comment was directed at me, I agree with you 100%. I have almost 3k miles on mine. It has even been out in the rain. I also hope that you are right and the values drop so I can get another one.

Last edited by drwuss; 10-12-2016 at 02:45 AM. Reason: added content
Old 10-12-2016, 04:57 AM
m3doc
Track Day

Originally Posted by RDCR
That car has quite a history given it only has 1800 miles on it! Hard to believe it was tracked more then once or twice given reasonable break in mileage. CPO gives you a lot of time & mileage coverage for any flaws from over revs etc. I'll bet you can get that car somewhere between 5 & 10K over.
Looks like this car is back up on auto trader as of this am.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:53 AM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Just drive it
Man, I get so tired of this. Why do you care what someone else does or doesn't do with their money? Ultra-rich buy yachts and use them a fractional percentage of the time, and have huge carrying costs. Same goes for "vacation" homes or third, forth or fifth mega-mansions. I never hear the chorus of "you should only buy that gorgeous mansion if and ONLY if you intend on living in it 100% of the time." Or, the watch collector with lots of expensive pieces that are never worn. The list goes on and on. A Porsche, ANY Porsche, is a luxury item. Period. It is a truism that one could perhaps have a better ROI buying a different asset than a depreciating asset such as a car, any car. So what?

Seriously, some people like collecting things, possessing them, more than using them. Who gives a ****? This "cars were meant to be driven" nonsense is just that, nonsense. Manufacturers are in the business of selling things. Customers buy them, for whatever reasons. I could give a damn if someone bought a new GT4 and tried to mount a snow plow on it. I'd rather see some middle-aged "speculator" have the car and properly maintain and care for it than some snot-nosed kid who was given one for graduating from Andover who drives the crap out of it. Different hot buttons, I suppose.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

In Canada they seem to be selling at or listed all 10-40k over MSRP depending on options and the dealer.

12-15 for sale right now in the country but our market is fairly small.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Just drive it
I put 2,000 miles on mine in the first 5 days.

Quick Reply: Used GT4 Prices