Sponsored by: APR

The GT4 Culture

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 02:29 PM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The GT4 Culture

I'm not sure if I'm the only one seeing this, but the GT4 seems to have developed its own unique culture/cult following. It seems like its becoming the "cool" car to have for any type of enthusiast.

Everything from street tuning, to hardcore tracking, to wild color graphics, to stripper car appreciation have already been accepted and although the price point is not outrageous, people and children already see it as target dream car. Since I've had mine, I think I've actually received more mouth drops/thumbs ups than I did with my 997 GT3.

Its as if the price point and limited availability allows people to see the car as attainable, yet unattainable at the same time. Most people see the GT3/2 as car's they'll never be able to afford hence making them poster cars in some ways. The GT4 seems to be the "peoples" car. There really aren't any other sports cars on the market that put everything together as well as the GT4 for a similar price. Its one of the purest sports cars on the market, yet gives you just about everything you need from a livable street car. Lotus makes amazing cars, but you don't get the fit and finish and interior ambiance as with the GT4. In my opinion the Lotus Exige is the closest option.

I think this bit of culture is part what's modulating the GT4's supply/demand curve. Its the car that nobody has, but everybody appreciates and wants.

My review is coming soon. Can't wait to start filming.

Thoughts?
Old 08-22-2016, 02:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

It's the price. The car's too cheap. Everyone has 100K these days. And if you don't the bank has...
So they buy them and do all kinds of s**t with it...some things ok,some not so ok...
Old 08-22-2016, 02:53 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It's the price. The car's too cheap. Everyone has 100K these days. And if you don't the bank has...
So they buy them and do all kinds of s**t with it...some things ok,some not so ok...
Damn, and I thought I was finally ahead of the game. <- Re: 100k

EDIT: Too fast on post finger. I must agree with OP. It seems to me that this car *could* be a cult car like the BMW M Coupe was. I remember a very rabid following on message boards of that car, but it took a long time for other people to understand it and get the desire.

I see some of the same thing here, but since the styling is less polarizing acceptance seems to be more ubiquitous.

Also outside of just the cool factor (IMHO it looks like a mini Carerra GT), this car carves canyons, and is right at home on the track. I've never personally had a car that did both so well. It truly is special.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:54 PM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
But in my opinion the price isnt a negative characteristic. I think the 100k price point is working in the car's favor. The higher the price, typically the lesser the demand from the mass market. At that point the car because a rich person's play toy/status symbol that will be dropped for the next cool thing.

I actually love that people are experimenting with the car. I can't remember any recent Porsche that built interest in as many aspects of car culture.

I'd assume Porsche's recent boom in branding has helped as well. Right now having a Porsche is the "it thing". Hell even Hip Hop artist are putting Porsche in tracks as much if not more than Ferrari and Lambo.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:58 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Oh, and looking forward to your review. I really enjoyed the one you did for the GT3.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rave426
But in my opinion the price isnt a negative characteristic. I think the 100k price point is working in the car's favor. The higher the price, typically the lesser the demand from the mass market. At that point the car because a rich person's play toy/status symbol that will be dropped for the next cool thing. I actually love that people are experimenting with the car. I can't remember any recent Porsche that built interest in as many aspects of car culture. I'd assume Porsche's recent boom in branding has helped as well. Right now having a Porsche is the "it thing". Hell even Hip Hop artist are putting Porsche in tracks as much if not more than Ferrari and Lambo.
It's not negative at all. As a matter of fact,I think it's the best bang for the buck in the high end sports car manufacturers market across the board. You can't find a competitor in this price range when it comes to driving involvement and fun,you just can't...
But it attracts all kinds of people because it's affordable...and some won't exactly represent the car for what it is : so you'll see GT4s like that " GT4 RS " for sale and soon enough some other " funky features ". But I guess it's part of the culture trend that you pointed out...
Old 08-22-2016, 03:01 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 330 Posts

At Monterey Car week I parked right near Ocean St on tues during the show in my buddies office parking lot and my car immediately drew a crowd of people to the point I had to stop and answer questions for a bit before I could go look at the cars.

At the Werks Reunion there weren't as many GT4s as I expected (I think there was only 3 besides the Akrapovic car) and again my car drew a small crowd when we got there. Wifey told one guy when he asked if he could take pictures that they would be $5 a piece!

Later at the tuner's show I saw a lone GT4 trying to drive into the show on Cannery Row Blvd and he had to stop because the crowd got in his way trying to take pictures.

This car really does generate a lot of interest at this point in time! I think it appeals because it's one of the best looking cars Porsche has ever built and while it looks like a Porsche it's the closest thing they make to the more mainstream designs out there.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:05 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

I pulled up at my local starbucks, and a guy in a pick up truck asked if it was a GT3 or GT4, and said nice car. So even pulling the pick up truck crowd :-)
Old 08-22-2016, 03:47 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 273 Posts

Well lower pricing attracts more riffraff (like me) to the brand which dilutes the gentility and regalia associated with owning a Porsche. It's like building a light rail that connects the city to the upscale suburbs.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:58 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
At the Werks Reunion there weren't as many GT4s as I expected (I think there was only 3 besides the Akrapovic car) and again my car drew a small crowd when we got there. Wifey told one guy when he asked if he could take pictures that they would be $5 a piece!
Only 3 GT4's at Werks Reunion?!?

I need to head out west and do some pot stirring...

LND_6104 by Peter Moy, on Flickr
Old 08-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,452 Likes on 756 Posts

I agree with OP. This car is a blast to drive and own. I actually think it is one pretty looking car.

My neighbors have seen my 991 GT3, Audi R8 V10 Spyder, 997 Turbo and just this morning I took it to Starbucks and when I pulled in to my drive way my neighbor came out of his house and came to my drive way to tell me two times in a row that I should know that my car(GT4) is the just wicked looking and he just loves it.

This car draws more attention than did my GT3. May be the CR and black rims are just an eye catcher. In a way, I used to love the wider body 911s but this car is more narrow and very sleek looking that it has such a nice flow to it.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was also at Werks Reunion, but parked in the spectators section. Great show though, and agree when driving around Monterey there was a lot of picture taking and thumbs up from people.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2016, 04:58 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by konaforever
I pulled up at my local starbucks, and a guy in a pick up truck asked if it was a GT3 or GT4, and said nice car. So even pulling the pick up truck crowd :-)
Now-now - don't pick on the pickup crowd - there are more of them than you think on this board!
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2016, 05:13 PM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Raptor is the most badass pickup on the market right now.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
Now-now - don't pick on the pickup crowd - there are more of them than you think on this board!
lol. nothing against pick ups.

Quick Reply: The GT4 Culture