Sponsored by: APR

The GT4 Culture

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:56 AM
Resolute1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
Now-now - don't pick on the pickup crowd - there are more of them than you think on this board!
A whole bunch actually.

First noticed this at a function for Cup Car guys that were running Yokohama series, seemed everyone had Raptors.

Make sense, they are tanks and also performance oriented. I'm on #3
Old 08-24-2016, 03:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,860 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo Sanabria
Here in South Florida GT4's are a dime-a-dozen so enthusiasm is there but muted as any event draws a dozen of them
11 GT4 showed up on my private trackday
Old 08-24-2016, 08:49 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo Sanabria
Here in South Florida GT4's are a dime-a-dozen so enthusiasm is there but muted as any event draws a dozen of them
really? i've only seen three, including my own, since deliveries started.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Zone 1 autocross had only 2 show up. Mine and a black one that really looked tons better than I thought it would. The 2015 GT3s never had a chance. And it was a power course to boot. Serious car for the money.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:19 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

supercup, it's time you get a real truck ;-)
You know I have been there - done that - no more diesel trucks for me - just the Raptor and a Transporter (aka real truck)!
Old 08-25-2016, 12:52 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

You know I have been there - done that - no more diesel trucks for me - just the Raptor and a Transporter (aka real truck)!
Yep, If i want my race cars transported, they go in a semi, and I aint driving it!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,860 Likes on 2,397 Posts

clearly smarter than i...
Old 08-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by evil panda
really? i've only seen three, including my own, since deliveries started.
Yeah I'm also in So. FL.... besides mine, I do have two other friends who have GT4's. One is black and the other Clubsport livery wrapped. I don't see GT4's often though on the road... even at C&CPB or Supercar Saturdays, maybe 1 or 2 at most if I bring mine. Most of the GT4's I see though is usually at Sebring.

Last weekend I was also in Monterey.... took a shot of this parked on Pebble's 17-mile drive.

Trucks.... yup love trucks too. Ram Hemi Sport in Ceramic Blue.... but I do like the new Raptor Supercrew.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:45 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
I attribute sales to the media hype. Which made me wonder how many of those auto journalists actually bought this car after raving about it.
Media hype is around for every decent offering from automakers, and Porsche in particular, so not sure it's a factor here. High praise for the GT4 was well earned, as it hit the bullseye: It's a fabulous sports car that meets a long-unsatisfied desire on the part of a lot of enthusiasts. It isn't without flaws, but the fact that it's arguably the best value offering from Porsche since the RS America (and is frankly a better value than that...) probably hasn't hurt its business case. I believe several auto journalists either stepped up or would have for real had they been able to get an allocation.

To the OP: Yes, I completely agree. I've been wondering if there's another car that became a cult car out of the box. E30 M3? S2000? M Coupe? Not sure any gained as wide a following as the GT4 has. It just hit the spot...and it's only Porsche's first take on the concept. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here, and how it evolves. I suspect it will follow a road closer to what we saw with 996 to 997 GT3, but time will tell.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:24 AM
trebien
Racer

Originally Posted by stout
To the OP: Yes, I completely agree. I've been wondering if there's another car that became a cult car out of the box. E30 M3? S2000? M Coupe? Not sure any gained as wide a following as the GT4 has.
I'm not defending whether it was deserved, or had staying power through the ages... but the FD RX-7 had a lot of pent-up demand back in the day, and in a cult fashion.

Maybe similarly to the GT4, it was a lightweight "back to basics" platform (2800 lbs) that focused on driver involvement and lightweight construction, in the middle of the techno-sports car heydays of the 3000GTVR4, Skyline, Supra, 300ZXTT with their 4wd and 4ws and active aero and 3500+ lb curb weights and...
Old 08-26-2016, 08:39 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Media hype is around for every decent offering from automakers, and Porsche in particular, so not sure it's a factor here. High praise for the GT4 was well earned, as it hit the bullseye: It's a fabulous sports car that meets a long-unsatisfied desire on the part of a lot of enthusiasts. It isn't without flaws, but the fact that it's arguably the best value offering from Porsche since the RS America (and is frankly a better value than that...) probably hasn't hurt its business case. I believe several auto journalists either stepped up or would have for real had they been able to get an allocation. To the OP: Yes, I completely agree. I've been wondering if there's another car that became a cult car out of the box. E30 M3? S2000? M Coupe? Not sure any gained as wide a following as the GT4 has. It just hit the spot...and it's only Porsche's first take on the concept. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here, and how it evolves. I suspect it will follow a road closer to what we saw with 996 to 997 GT3, but time will tell.
Pete,please continue to write your thoughts here about Porsche's new models as you get to drive them. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:45 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Pete,please continue to write your thoughts here about Porsche's new models as you get to drive them. Thanks.
Not going anywhere—too cool here.

I've been wondering if there's another car that became a cult car out of the box. E30 M3? S2000? M Coupe? Not sure any gained as wide a following as the GT4 has as new cars.
Edited for missing clause...there's a hyphen up top that shouldn't be there, but this is RL, right? If there's room for Mooty, then hopefully there's room for me to tap away casually.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:26 PM
drawding
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trebien
I'm not defending whether it was deserved, or had staying power through the ages... but the FD RX-7 had a lot of pent-up demand back in the day, and in a cult fashion.

Maybe similarly to the GT4, it was a lightweight "back to basics" platform (2800 lbs) that focused on driver involvement and lightweight construction, in the middle of the techno-sports car heydays of the 3000GTVR4, Skyline, Supra, 300ZXTT with their 4wd and 4ws and active aero and 3500+ lb curb weights and...
I agree. My last sports car was a 3rd gen RX7. In addition to the pluses you listed I will add the cockpit felt just right in the RX7. Everything was in reach, the gauges were beautiful, it felt like a fighter jet. Not to mention that 20 year old car can (IMHO) still hold its own in the styling department even today. Interior and Exterior. I think the GT4 hits a lot of these same points as well. The fighter jet feel of the cockpit in the GT4 is spot on.

Dave
Old 08-26-2016, 03:38 PM
Farani
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drawding
I agree. My last sports car was a 3rd gen RX7. In addition to the pluses you listed I will add the cockpit felt just right in the RX7. Everything was in reach, the gauges were beautiful, it felt like a fighter jet. Not to mention that 20 year old car can (IMHO) still hold its own in the styling department even today. Interior and Exterior. I think the GT4 hits a lot of these same points as well. The fighter jet feel of the cockpit in the GT4 is spot on.

Dave
Completely agree. I sold my FD RX-7 3 years ago when I bought my 981S. All stock, 33K miles. Had it for 10 years. Fantastic car. Got sick and tired of dealing with the rats nest that was the vac system on the TTs.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Toasty
Intermediate

It's the price point. Like the OP said, the price point of the car is obtainable yet the current market supply is unobtainable (for new that is). I've driven a few but I never owned a P-car and this was a starting point.

I put my deposit down with Colin @ Porsche Plano (real nice guy) last year and was #8 on the list but had to cancel my order because I was unsure given the recent O&G markets tanking....now it is getting better I am looking for this unicorn again but the only examples are used or exuberant pricing. No idea how the allocation game is working out now.

What I don't understand is the sudden glut of used models being sold because people changed their mind. I understand opportunity to cash in but damn 20-30K mark ups?

Quick Reply: The GT4 Culture