Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Issues with stones wedging between PCCB & wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 03:07 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Issues with stones wedging between PCCB & wheels.

Not sure if this has been posted before but has anyone with PCCB had this happen to their wheels and calipers.

My car has only traveled 1800km (1120miles), it appears due to the minimal clearance space between the calipers and the wheels the stones have become wedged and badly scratched not only the 2 front wheels but also the calipers. Backs aren't an issue as there is plenty of clearance, its just the two front ones.

I took my car in to the dealer and they said they've never had this happen to any other car, I find this statement a bit hard to believe especially after talking to an indie who said he has seen it all the time.

I cant see it being an issue for the smaller red calipers as they have much more clearance.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Man that sucks
Sorry
From I have see on this board not uncommon but it usually happened to guys who tracked the car. I have to admit, I took the wheels off a few weeks ago and was amazed how little clearance there is ... The fronts are crazy close ... Even pulling the wheel off without hitting the rotor is a real challenge
Old 08-22-2016, 05:05 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Man that sucks
Sorry
From I have see on this board not uncommon but it usually happened to guys who tracked the car. I have to admit, I took the wheels off a few weeks ago and was amazed how little clearance there is ... The fronts are crazy close ... Even pulling the wheel off without hitting the rotor is a real challenge
Thanks
I haven't tracked the car but have been for spirited drives through the twisties in the hills.
Yes I would have thought it pretty common, they are "crazy" close.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:10 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Ouch. Sorry Jim, that's terrible. The caliper is not really that visible but those wheels would really bug me. Dealer offer any help?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:28 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bardman
Ouch. Sorry Jim, that's terrible. The caliper is not really that visible but those wheels would really bug me. Dealer offer any help?
They offered to repaint at cost, wait for it 150 to $200 a wheel, exactly the same price l can get them done at by a high quality repairer.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

I wouldn't bother with a repaint. It'll just happen again. I have the same type of marks/scores on my front wheels. I've got PCCBs, as well.

Personally, I'd just wait until I ever went to sell the car, then I would repaint the insides of the wheels.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

There is an active post on this subject right now in the 991 GT3 Forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...he-inside.html
Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 AM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Same thing happened for the guys who got PCCB on the F8x M3. Nothing they could do about it. Some dealerships did fix them but it was only a matter of time that it would occur again.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Man that sucks
Sorry
If you don't already have them, Porsche has wheel guidance studs intended to be used with PCCB to facilitate R&Rs without risk of damaging the rotors: part 999 571 074 30. You want a pair of them.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:44 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 338 Posts

I just pulled my 19" forgelines to install track studs and clean everything up. Wheels are scored but calipers were fine after I cleaned off the klag. I was somewhat concerned about remounting the wheels without the guidance studs JP mentioned but if you're careful it's not that hard to get the wheels onto the track studs without touching the PCCB rotors. The main thing is to avoid freshly graveled roads (where I got the majority of my scoring) and keep the car on the track.

As far as my OEM wheels go they look perfect. It would take a big stone in there to score those (which is almost more scary then the little buggers that get in there with 19's.) The 19" forgelines are so light and with the improved steering feel I'm not sure I'd want to go back to OEM at this point even when the tire selection situation gets better.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:38 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes!
Steering feel with Forgelines => immediately noticeable.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:07 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
If you don't already have them, Porsche has wheel guidance studs intended to be used with PCCB to facilitate R&Rs without risk of damaging the rotors: part 999 571 074 30. You want a pair of them.
Oh I know thanks I have s set
Wouldn't leave home without it LOL
Old 10-01-2018, 07:53 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Resurrecting this thread.
I now have very deep grooves, my tire shop and Porsche dealer said the same thing, its not safe and should replace the wheel with a new one.!!!
Has anyone found a solution for this, any photos that you can share?

Old 10-01-2018, 11:48 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow, this looks like the OEM wheel and that gouge looks like its at least 1/8" deep?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:52 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know about safety, but this is normal wear and tear. it's just a fact of life with pccb's.

maybe you could stick a felt wiper tab onto the caliper to try and prevent gravel from wedging. the adhesive would have to withstand very high temp, and the wiper material itself would have to endure intense heat and abrasion so it would have to be very durable. i don't think it's feasible.

or, the obvious solution: calipers with more clearance. (aftermarket or OEM)

Quick Reply: Issues with stones wedging between PCCB & wheels.