Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 03:00 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
I have no doubt that if you open up the engine there is power there, but I just haven't seen bolt on mods make much difference on track personally. Not saying it's impossible, I just haven't seen it - thus my inquiry to the local GT4 owner with Dundon headers installed.

The drivers of the modified GT4s I have been on track with are also much better drivers than me, so it's not a skill level delta!

The data will come, hopefully a Dundon equipped GT4 can join you by the time summer rolls around... Heck we might even try to come down if we can find the time!
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 12-17-2016, 04:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

One point about what electron mike is saying.

-the best mod you can make is driving lessons, if you believe that then you realize how differing driver capabilities can make such a huge difference vs 10-15% hp or torque increases in specific parts of the rev range. To control for all these varying skill levels as well as modifications, tires, tire wear etc, would be a Herculean task in details. One could infer then that gauging effectiveness of mods by who is passing who is a pretty imprecise measure as the differences are much smaller than driver skill delta. This is why tightly controlled dyno runs are the best gauge we have to assess.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:20 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
One point about what electron mike is saying.

-the best mod you can make is driving lessons, if you believe that then you realize how differing driver capabilities can make such a huge difference vs 10-15% hp or torque increases in specific parts of the rev range. To control for all these varying skill levels as well as modifications, tires, tire wear etc, would be a Herculean task in details. One could infer then that gauging effectiveness of mods by who is passing who is a pretty imprecise measure as the differences are much smaller than driver skill delta. This is why tightly controlled dyno runs are the best gauge we have to assess.
True, but what Mike's saying makes sense for a quick and dirty real world comparo which essentially takes driving skill out of the question with a 3rd gear blast on a back straight during a DE. A 40hp delta should declare itself, and it's more responsible than doing the same on a hwy in MX.

If someone pulled on me easily in that situation I'd probably be opening my checkbook at the paddock too!
Old 12-17-2016, 05:45 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great!

If you are ever out at COTA, I'd like to do a comparison of your car with the headers vs my stock car down the back straight. So far, I have yet to see a modified GT4 (any combination of headers, exhaust, intake, throttle body, tune, etc) pull any meaningful distance on my stock GT4 from 40->140 mph. I'd love to see it so I could buy some mods that work!

It could be due to the heat build up while on track vs. on a dyno, because many of the dyno results show more power with mods.

Mike
Mike, for me it's mostly about Racecar screaming sound that Lets those infront know you're coming so they can give you a quick point!

I must admit though that I like it loud! Definitely gets my blood pumping!
Old 12-17-2016, 05:55 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
True, but what Mike's saying makes sense for a quick and dirty real world comparo which essentially takes driving skill out of the question with a 3rd gear blast on a back straight during a DE. A 40hp delta should declare itself, and it's more responsible than doing the same on a hwy in MX.

If someone pulled on me easily in that situation I'd probably be opening my checkbook at the paddock too!
Exactly, and on the back straight at COTA it's a 2nd-3rd-4th and a bit of 5th gear pull. If you have similar skills and more power, it will show up.

I am not claiming the dyno results are false, but those tests are not equivalent to real world track driving. During the dyno pulls, is the oil temp 260? Water temp 235? Are the intake air temperatures very high after 30 minutes on track? How much timing is the ECU pulling? Is the drag impact realized?

I'll give a more specific example. In my Z06, after the first three laps on track the car would drop 10-15mph down the back straight due to heat soak and ECU changes as the oil temp rose to 300 degrees. That car dynoed very strongly even for 10 pulls at 95 degrees, but it falls on its face on track after just a few laps in the heat.

The GT4's performance degradation is not as severe, but it is there.

I would be happy to see a Dundon equipped car pull me down the straight. I would then also be a customer!
Old 12-17-2016, 06:00 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

[

Originally Posted by jslee225
Mike, for me it's mostly about Racecar screaming sound that Lets those infront know you're coming so they can give you a quick point!

I must admit though that I like it loud! Definitely gets my blood pumping!
I understand and agree, your car sounds wicked! I'm in fact thinking of adding race headers, but if one set provides real world power improvements over another then it's even more compelling versus just a sound improvement.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:07 PM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[

I understand and agree, your car sounds wicked! I'm in fact thinking of adding race headers, but if one set provides real world power improvements over another then it's even more compelling versus just a sound improvement.
Let's do that back straight test in march with PCA? $775 for 3 days of COTA! I have no other engine mods so should be interesting!
Old 12-17-2016, 08:27 PM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Out of curiosity, which city are you in?
Sydney
Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jslee225
Let's do that back straight test in march with PCA? $775 for 3 days of COTA! I have no other engine mods so should be interesting!
PM sent, lets set it up sometime. I didn't know about the PCA weekend.. I'm going three days with MVP the week before and in mid march with EA.. doubt I can convince the wife I need to go to the PCA weekend too.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:25 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by O5C4R
Sydney
Pity, I hop between Melbourne and Hobart and would be nice to see the car in person.

Any initial impressions or not fitted yet?
Old 12-18-2016, 01:33 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Quick Update

We sent the Dundon Pro Tune to everyone who purchased it. This is for software version 388U408, you must check that your car is the same version with the Cobb AP. If it's different, no issue, we'll get another sent out.

This version seems to be the one most have.

We'd like a log after install to make sure everything is dialed in perfect for you!

I'll return calls on Monday as I'm helping my wifes Ballet Company with their Nutcracker performance tomorrow!

Thanks and wish me luck! (not dancing, just taking tickets...)

Jamie
Old 12-18-2016, 01:35 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Exactly, and on the back straight at COTA it's a 2nd-3rd-4th and a bit of 5th gear pull. If you have similar skills and more power, it will show up.

I am not claiming the dyno results are false, but those tests are not equivalent to real world track driving. During the dyno pulls, is the oil temp 260? Water temp 235? Are the intake air temperatures very high after 30 minutes on track? How much timing is the ECU pulling? Is the drag impact realized?

I'll give a more specific example. In my Z06, after the first three laps on track the car would drop 10-15mph down the back straight due to heat soak and ECU changes as the oil temp rose to 300 degrees. That car dynoed very strongly even for 10 pulls at 95 degrees, but it falls on its face on track after just a few laps in the heat.

The GT4's performance degradation is not as severe, but it is there.

I would be happy to see a Dundon equipped car pull me down the straight. I would then also be a customer!
Agreed real world performance is what we want, not dyno queens. Excited for the spring and summer months!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:57 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gulf911
Anyone near Orange county calif, thats getting these headers? Would really like to demo before purchase.

Thank you!
Dan
I didn't see anyone respond to Dan's query so... this X2.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:06 PM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Warning following image is NSFW

Unicorns installed

Old 12-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Leuz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O5C4R
Warning following image is NSFW

Unicorns installed
They look hot!

[off-topic-rant]... and this makes me even sadder that I have to push my installation at a later time as someone yesterday left a present on my front fender, by opening their door against it, nicking my clear-bra [/off-topic-rant]

Quick Reply: Dundon GT4/Spyder Race Header Group Buy