Sponsored by: APR

Dundon GT4/Spyder Race Header Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Have the wife drive it, the kids, find an empty parking lot and just do some snow donuts… Let us hear that baby rev for the love of God!!!
Made my day. Currently the streets are wet with snow flurries. The weather looks like crap for the next two weeks.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:57 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Pure automotive ****.
Dyno time hard to come by even in winter lol, got the pre scheduled Monday and post Tuesday. I'll get vids of both pre and post runs.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:00 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
Dyno time hard to come by even in winter lol, got the pre scheduled Monday and post Tuesday. I'll get vids of both pre and post runs.
Awesome

What octane fuel do you plan to have in the car and will it contain ethanol?
Old 12-13-2016, 03:07 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
Awesome

What octane fuel do you plan to have in the car and will it contain ethanol?
93 oct, I believe it's 10% ethanol.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:41 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

93 oct, I believe it's 10% ethanol.

Cool. That's what we run here in Texas for typically available high octane pump gas.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:30 PM
512GT4
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got mine installed!

I had mine installed this past Sunday afternoon/evening - just getting around to posting now. I'll share my impressions on the build quality, installation process, and feel of the car post installation. The high-level summary is that I'm very happy about these headers and want to congratulate the Dundon team on a great product. I did quite a bit of reading and research on other solutions out there and went with Dundon due to their open and transparent engineering process, attention to detail, and reputation in the Porsche aftermarket performance world. Oh, and they also have the highest gains out there so far .

Build Quality & Installation
Installation took a very experienced mechanic about 4 hours to complete. Aside from me handing him an occasional tool and holding things in place while he bolted them on, it was a one-man job. His comments upon inspecting the headers pre-installation were that the workmanship was on-par with some of the the best products he's ever worked with. The documentation was good - especially the revised version with pictures that Dundon sent over after they had shipped the headers. The welds are excellent, the materials used are high-end (even down to the freely spinning springs), and the attention to detail is top-notch. My mechanic has been around high-end and bespoke racing products for 15+ years (often fabricating small custom bits himself to get the job done) and said that he was thoroughly impressed with the headers. Installation went smoothly on the left (driver's) side - everything just slipped right into place and bolting back on was straightforward. The right (passenger) side was a bit more difficult to get everything to mate up cleanly. We had to loosen the exhaust midpoint mount to get things to move around a bit to align with the exit point on the headers, but overall not a big deal and everything tightened up nicely with nothing seeming to be out-of-place in the end. The car was started (wow), warmed up, and checked for leaks around all gaskets and pipe joins - everything was airtight and good to go.

Post Install Feel
When the exhaust flaps are CLOSED, the car can easily be driven in a way that continues to maintain factory noise levels (same thing Alan C. mentioned earlier). However, with exhaust flaps OPEN or when you really stand on the throttle with exhaust flaps CLOSED, the car is significantly louder both inside and outside and the sound is nothing short of glorious (IMO). There also seems to be noticeably more "crackle" when letting off the gas after a hard pull, but this may be biased feedback due to me paying more attention right after I've had work done.

I'm currently running the stock tune. The power curve is noticeably smoother, and the seat-of-the-pants dyno can definitely feel the additional pull and power. I didn't dyno the car pre-install, but did a number of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pulls at WOT on my way to the shop so I could have something in recent memory to compare to after the install was complete. The power is there and its real - the car feels (and sounds) significantly meaner than before. As previously noted, it gets really fun up around 3500+ RPMs and pulls hard all the way to top. I plan to get the car on a dyno, but that will be sometime during the 2017 driving season after a few more changes that I'm considering. Can't wait to get this out to the track - corner exits and straights should be noticeably different with the upgrade.

Here are a few pics with some descriptions:

Dundon Race Headers (top) vs. stock headers (bottom) - note the difference in length and diameter as well as the much-discussed 4th pipe

Headers off the car, gasket prepped to receive new part

Close up shot of installed header

Dundon Race Headers installed - super clean!

Here's a video of the initial cold start just after installation was complete. Great first impression Dundon!

Also, if anyone in the Austin, TX area wants to get together to experience these headers, please feel free to shoot me a PM and we can arrange something (possibly a few laps at Harris Hill?). Always good to meet other enthusiasts out there.

Great work guys! I think you're on to something here...can't wait to see the catted version for comparison.

Cheers,
512GT4

Last edited by 512GT4; 12-13-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:19 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts

Great post - Thx 512GT4. Is the sound clip with the valves closed?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Nice post 512GT4, can't wait to experience mine!
Old 12-13-2016, 11:26 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Great pictures and write-up, 512GT4!
Old 12-14-2016, 12:27 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

The photo of the exhaust ports reminded me of one other item. When I looked at mine, 7700 miles, there was no carbon buildup on the exhaust valves. The perimeter of the valves had a light brown color
Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 AM
AfricanHunter
Instructor

eagerly awaiting baseline dyno and header dyno.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:05 AM
KareemGT4
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so no CELs guys?
Old 12-14-2016, 04:20 AM
512GT4
AutoX

Originally Posted by thigos
Great post - Thx 512GT4. Is the sound clip with the valves closed?
Thanks! Yes, I should have been more specific in the original post. The cold start was valves closed.

Nice post 512GT4, can't wait to experience mine!
I think you're going to like them...

Originally Posted by KareemGT4
so no CELs guys?
Nope, nothing yet. My mechanic said he'd seen similar strategies that had worked elsewhere in the race world (Pikes Peak Hill Climb racers) to avoid codes without a bunch of reprogramming or hacking up the car too much. Nice and simple - always the best as long as it works. This isn't a daily driver for me, so others might have better feedback - definitely something to track over time.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:52 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 352 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 512GT4
Thanks! Yes, I should have been more specific in the original post. The cold start was valves closed.
On cold start the valves are always open,regardless whether you have pressed the exhaust button or not,for about 30 seconds or until you touch the throttle.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:25 AM
512GT4
AutoX

Originally Posted by neanicu
On cold start the valves are always open,regardless whether you have pressed the exhaust button or not,for about 30 seconds or until you touch the throttle.
Didn't know that - thanks...apparently they were open

Quick Reply: Dundon GT4/Spyder Race Header Group Buy