Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Window Cleaner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The repair is easier than you would imagine,

The damaged part, is riveted and glued to the inner wing.

Last edited by Window Cleaner; 01-15-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:39 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Window Cleaner
The repair is easier than you would imagine,

The damaged part, is riveted and glued to the inner wing.

This happened to me through side impact to my wheel and caused the Shocker to come through the mount and damage my Bonnet, making the repair more expensive.
This is more in line with what I would expect this repair to consist of, as I described in some of the early posts on this thread.

Was the repair you describe done by a Porsche approved body repair shop or in independent shop? I think the Porsche approved status is mainly about warranty because any reputable body shop will not do a repair in a way that compromises crash safety.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Window Cleaner
Advanced

Damage, it seems this part is a sacrificial part to prevent chassis damage, although the bonnet also takes a pounding.

Last edited by Window Cleaner; 01-15-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:38 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

My repair was carried out through a Porsche Approved bodyshop, the actual Porsche dealership owns the bodyshop, every thing was checked on the Jig, all fine, and no signs of Tub Damage, it seems this part is a sacrificial part to prevent chassis damage, although the bonnet also takes a pounding.

They also replaced all components on that side Wishbone etc, plus the Steering rack as a matter of routine

Can you share with us what the approximate cost of the repair was, knowing that there was (from what you describe) more damage to your car than to Joe Weinstein's?
Old 12-14-2016, 07:03 AM
Window Cleaner
Advanced

£20k

Last edited by Window Cleaner; 01-15-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

£20k
$25,300.

Oooouch.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

That will use up a bit of goodwill with your insurance company.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

PNA says 'we are at an impasse' regarding the cause, and decline to cover.
They say there is damage to the lower control arm. I will go see that.

Last edited by Joe Weinstein; 12-14-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:06 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Lots of people are watching how PNA handles this.

Take lots of pictures and ask lots of questions. Take a close up look at your passenger side shock tower if you get the chance.

Hang in there. This sucks.

Last edited by okie981; 12-14-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I would speak with an attorney if I were you. You may in fact decide, based on what you learn during your consultation, that litigating would likely be ineffective, or not worth your time or money, but you may also decide the opposite. It should not cost that much to speak with an attorney with the requisite expertise to get the info you need to make that decision. I would add that, in many cases, a letter or a call from an attorney is enough to cause a potential defendant to address a client's concerns in an acceptable way without resorting to litigation at all. While I do not practice in this area, I am an attorney, and I am speaking from my own experience.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

What would I google to find an appropriate lawyer?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't know what state you are in, but if the bar in your state offers lists of attorneys who practice in specific practice areas, you could look at those. You would probably want to look at firms that handle consumer or warranty issues. Your local district attorney's office may also have a consumer protection unit that may be willing to help. You could also just start calling law firms that provide civil litigation services in your area and ask for a referral. Best of luck.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:07 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Why? Just let your insurance handle it.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:43 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why? Just let your insurance handle it.
This would normally be my inclination as well since in my view, part of the value I receive in exchange for paying insurance premiums is that I get my car fixed immediately and then THEY deal with any logistics involved for deciding who ultimately pays for what rather than having to spend my own time determining that and recovering funds where appropriate -- but I don't know if that works when the insurance carrier's position is that the damage should be handled via warranty claim. Does anybody have any actual experience with an insurance company paying to get their car fixed and then subrogating the manufacturer?

Still, this really sucks. I would love to ask PCNA right now, "Ok, you think this is an insurance claim. So your position is that the reason several GT4 owners are experiencing this issue isn't that there's either a production or design problem with this car or at least some examples of it, but rather that the same type of unfortunate road hazard just happened to befall all of them in relatively quick succession, and this despite the cars being geographically distant from each other. That passes your sniff test?"
Old 12-14-2016, 10:28 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
This would normally be my inclination as well since in my view, part of the value I receive in exchange for paying insurance premiums is that I get my car fixed immediately and then THEY deal with any logistics involved for deciding who ultimately pays for what rather than having to spend my own time determining that and recovering funds where appropriate -- but I don't know if that works when the insurance carrier's position is that the damage should be handled via warranty claim. Does anybody have any actual experience with an insurance company paying to get their car fixed and then subrogating the manufacturer?

Still, this really sucks. I would love to ask PCNA right now, "Ok, you think this is an insurance claim. So your position is that the reason several GT4 owners are experiencing this issue isn't that there's either a production or design problem with this car or at least some examples of it, but rather that the same type of unfortunate road hazard just happened to befall all of them in relatively quick succession, and this despite the cars being geographically distant from each other. That passes your sniff test?"
+1.....let your insurance company utilize the lawyers your premiums pay for. I would also link you agent into this thread so they have some documented info on this defect (shall we say). Between this issue and the missing 3rd gear problem this car is starting to look better in bubble wrap.........Phil

Quick Reply: strut tower failure