Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:41 AM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I doubt it. Unless the repairs exceed 75% of the car's market value, the insurance will not write it off. Your situation sucks. I feel bad for you. Sorry.
I respectfully disagree with your statement.

Here is one example of a few similar situations I have seen in the past year. A close friend just went through the following about 5 months ago. His brand new R8 V10 Sport (approx $200K sticker IIRC) was t-boned at an intersection when the other driver ran the red light. Repairs estimate was in the $50K range (repair cost of approximately 30% of market value). Insurance company totaled the car as the salvage value plus repair costs exceeded the market value.

So it will depend on how your carrier wants to treat the situation, but there is a good chance that if the salvage value is high the carrier will total the car. Sorry to be the bearer of this news.

Joe - regarding your question about the suspension components, maybe a call to someone like John at BGB will get you an answer (?). Looking to the guys that spend time replacing parts, tuning and racing the cars is always a good source of data. The dealership techs/managers rarely get into the component repairs these days.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:10 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Can I get a confirmation that this is the only Cayman without a bumpstop?
Hopefully someone who has removed the OEM struts to upgrade them with aftermarket units has an OEM part laying around that could be examined to confirm. Even if one isn't visible outside the shock, is it possible there is some type of small spring or bump stop internal to the shock tube assembly for when the piston reaches end of travel?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:11 AM
MVEED3
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The GT4 has inverted monotubes. The only way to tell if there's internal protection is to open one up and I didn't want to mess with the PASM components.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:04 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MVEED3
The GT4 has inverted monotubes. The only way to tell if there's internal protection is to open one up and I didn't want to mess with the PASM components.
Thanks for those photos. I see no bump stop. And the stud passes through the monoball camber plate until the shoulder of the stud contacts the monoball metal-to-metal, I assume. So....unless there is something internal, there appears to be no bump stop. This applies same way to GT3 parts. I wonder when both cars are at design target ride height (GT3 and GT4) if the shock is at the same compressed position and therefore has the same travel to hit bottom? Spring rates are different.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks all, I am appealing to my PNA contact to fight for me against that
decision. As your helpful posts have said, this can't be normal. There are
common cases of a big-wheel, low-tire car getting a dented wheel, but it
is unheard-of that a full quarter of the chassis self-destructs with a bump
or pothole that dents the wheel so minorly that the experts had to take it
to a machine to detect it.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:26 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Inverted monotube shocks have 'internal bumpstops.' Instead of a hard stop, modern designs use elastomers. Porsche has been using different types of elastomers for awhile now, they act more like a progressive-hard-spring - hence they are commonly referred to as 'secondary springs' in the PET parts catalog.

In case of the GT4/GT3 inverted monotube design, they are located internally at the bottom, like the following.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:39 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

You might consider mentioning to PCNA that the GT4 community and other Porsche owners are following the developments of your unfortunate predicament very closely, and you are planning to update the entire community as to PCNA's ultimate response. Unless you have told them that is the case, they may not do as much for you as they would if they knew that their inaction would be transparent to a large group of their best customers.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:50 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you should fight this.

The wheel/tire should have been completed destroyed to generate enough forces to essentially break the chassis.

As many, many veterans have noted we have never seen this failure on any previous chassis (997 and below...)

If the 'strut tower' has a part number we should keep track of it. A sudden revision/supercede would provide a clue about Porsche's awareness.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Mention that this thread has 21,000 views and 250 posts.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:48 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by sl951
Inverted monotube shocks have 'internal bumpstops.' Instead of a hard stop, modern designs use elastomers. Porsche has been using different types of elastomers for awhile now, they act more like a progressive-hard-spring - hence they are commonly referred to as 'secondary springs' in the PET parts catalog.

In case of the GT4/GT3 inverted monotube design, they are located internally at the bottom, like the following.
Is the picture from a GT3 or4 shock? thanks carl
Old 12-12-2016, 08:29 PM
aigle836
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If Porsche does not boulge, I would put a complaint in at the NHTSC, as this might be a safety concerns that they should investigate. If it happens to more owners and they put a complaint in, it could get a lot more expensive to Porsche than fixing the few cars where it happened so far. My 0,02$.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

That didn't work with the GT3 coolant lines.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:05 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 641 Posts

Very sorry you have to go through this. I've been following from the sidelines.
Subscribed.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:24 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the photo and the post. Picture is worth a thousand words. Would like to know the answer to 4carl's post asking if this is a photo of the GT3/GT4 monotube shock, if you have that info.

Can I get a confirmation that this is the only Cayman without a bumpstop? I ambeseeching my PNA rep to fight for me on this. The bodyshop guy says the car has a 'high salvage value' so insurance might 'total' it, rather than pay for the entire front of the car to be disassembled. Literally the dashboard and windscreen have to come out to replace essentially a full quarter of the chassis, and my 3500-mile, never tracked dream car could be gone forever. It's 4:15AM on Sunday, and I can't sleep.
So I can only assume they are saying the structure below has to be replaced? There is one interweb parts supply house offering this "part" for around $9,800. Seems a little hard to believe all this has to be replaced, but only the engineers at Porsche know what must be done to ensure the original head-on crash worthiness remains after a repair, and don't forget the IIHS offset crash test, it's the most severe case:
Attached Images  

Last edited by okie981; 12-13-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:57 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

If the 'strut tower' has a part number we should keep track of it. A sudden revision/supercede would provide a clue about Porsche's awareness.
According to the online Nemiga.com PET, the strut tower is used on 981 and 991 cars, including the recent 718 Boxster and 991.2 cars. Earlier today I called a Porsche dealer parts department and another Porsche supplier I found online, and they both said they could get the shock tower part from the Atlanta Porsche warehouse within 2 or 3 days for around $300 (online) to $400 (retail at dealer). The part number I gave them was the one referenced by the Nemiga PET: 991 501 477 00G RV. If you ask for the 991 501 477 00 part, they can't find it, you have to ask for the number with GRV suffix on the end, i.e. the "prime coated" part on the online PET.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: strut tower failure