Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

New: Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines 6-line Kit- replaces caliper hard lines!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 12:46 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
You may be correct in regards to a stud mounted caliper instead of a bolt mounted one. Probably need at least a couple of inches more. Good catch.
Maybe the bolt-mounted too, since you need to clear the rotor with the pads and caliper still.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:41 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Maybe the bolt-mounted too, since you need to clear the rotor with the pads and caliper still.
From this pic one can see that during the test fitting they removed the sensors from the pads in order to make caliper removal easier.

From this picture it appears you may be correct since the length of the flex line is equal to the length of the hard line; in that bracket removal is still required.

How much of a difference would it make if the banjo fitting is replaced with the std fitting while adding a bit of extra length?
Old 07-02-2016, 01:04 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bummer about those lengths if true, although hopefully in that case Spiegler would be open to getting their hands on a GT4 with the Tarett stud kit to engineer a V2 of this product, like AP Racing/Essex did with their rotor hats to simplify things for their customers when they discovered the GT4 set screws had a different head shape.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Track Junkie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spiegler also builds custom brake lines to your specifications. Whatever you want.

https://www.essexparts.com/spieger-custom-ss-lines
Old 07-02-2016, 02:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Track Junkie
Spiegler also builds custom brake lines to your specifications. Whatever you want.

https://www.essexparts.com/spieger-custom-ss-lines
True, but at what cost? Is there an NRE charge? Who would own the design afterwards? How much R&D can an individual really do? Look at the time it would take to get the correct measurement so one won't have interference or be too loose. Would that person be able to do it on jack stands or would it be better to have a lift for this R&D?

Its a good idea to look at that option but in the end I believe that many would stay with status quo and the PITA it is.

I guess another option would be to build them with quick disconnects.

Link
Old 07-02-2016, 05:57 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 619 Posts

Possibly interested in group buy.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
True, but at what cost? Is there an NRE charge? Who would own the design afterwards? How much R&D can an individual really do? Look at the time it would take to get the correct measurement so one won't have interference or be too loose. Would that person be able to do it on jack stands or would it be better to have a lift for this R&D?

Its a good idea to look at that option but in the end I believe that many would stay with status quo and the PITA it is.

I guess another option would be to build them with quick disconnects.

Link
Simplest alternative is probably a 4-line kit that just replaces the hard line from the bracket to the caliper with a longer, flexible line to make brake changes easier (front and rear). Leave everything else as-is.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Simplest alternative is probably a 4-line kit that just replaces the hard line from the bracket to the caliper with a longer, flexible line to make brake changes easier (front and rear). Leave everything else as-is.
On the rear I could live with a 1-piece replacing both since the hard line there is so short. On the front maybe there exists an option already in the real world but I don't know the thread size on the fittings; is it 10 x 1 mm?
Old 07-03-2016, 12:21 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Been communicating with BGB who saw the thread and asked me questions. Might help if John gets more calls of interest on this.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:14 AM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default GB

I'm interested in a GB as well.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:36 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 619 Posts

Are there any concerns about increased possibility of damage to the soft lines that replace hard lines? The closer to the caliper the more the line is subject to road/track debris.

I understand the reasons for wanting a soft line over hard line for brake pad swaps and being able to move the caliper more easily. But is there a trade off in potential damage to a soft line, versus the OEM hard line?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I would not be concerned abount the "soft" lines taking damage from road debris. Most cars have rubber lines going to the caliper and I have never heard of that causing issues. Furthermore the soft lines in this kit are steel braided. I agree with the other posts that sufficient slack for removing the calipers with mounting studs installed is the most concerning issue at this point. I have been urging Essex for a couple of months to make something to address both the mounting issue and brake line issue. Not sure why they would have decided to ignore the mounting issue, as the stock calipers clearly need studs to avoid damaging the uprights from repeated brake pad changes.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shandingo
I agree with the other posts that sufficient slack for removing the calipers with mounting studs installed is the most concerning issue at this point. I have been urging Essex for a couple of months to make something to address both the mounting issue and brake line issue. Not sure why they would have decided to ignore the mounting issue, as the stock calipers clearly need studs to avoid damaging the uprights from repeated brake pad changes.
9-28-15
Old 07-13-2016, 11:07 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 362 Posts

Gents,
Sorry for the silence on this one...I've been traveling for the past 10 days or so. I typically don't unplug, but I was on top of a mountain with extremely limited access to the web.

Thanks for the input on the product. We are listening...We're going to bring a car back in and take another look at it (hopefully next week).

We hadn't taken the aftermarket caliper stud issue into account (although we should have). Are people running studs on the front and rear, or is the front the primary issue? The rear lines are longer and I'm guessing they probably won't be an issue.

On the banjo...I believe Spiegler's idea was simply to keep the line out of the way. When we take the stud issue into account we'll look at the orientation of the line and see which type of fitting makes the most sense for appropriate routing of the line.

We talked about possibly using quick disconnects on the line, but the good ones that actually work (like Spiegler's) are too expensive to be practical for most people (a couple hundred dollars per fitting).

As for a group buy, that's not something we've ever done or plan to do. We're talking about a total price of less than $300. That's lower than a single set of brake pads or 1-2 brake fluid flushes. You probably can't even get a cup of coffee in the waiting room of your local Porsche dealership for that much! Our brake lines will likely be on the car for as long as most people here will own it. I'd say it is a rather low cost of entry given the added performance and convenience our product offers. I know that $13 brake lines built by a 9 yr. old in China are easy to come by on eBay, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 07-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Jeff,

Caliper studs are used front and rear. With the new 'improved' (i.e. cheaper) calipers, brake pads cannot be changed without removing the caliper. No more simple change from the top.
So, any replacement lines would need to take that into account and would likely need to be slightly longer than the stock ones.
If they can also bypass the brackets, that would be a huge bonus. Particularly the front one as it's the harder one to remove.
Not sure what Porsche was thinking with the stock setup?

Quick Reply: New: Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines 6-line Kit- replaces caliper hard lines!