Sponsored by: APR

Installing GT4 lip on a Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:59 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Installing GT4 lip on a Spyder

My neighbor got a GT4 right after I got my spyder and it's fun to see them together, but man, I had huge front spoiler lip envy. The GT4 lip really looks good, so I ordered one and discovered that you need the plastic upright pieces to complete the look. Ordered those from Suncoast's page and if you order them from the Boxster Spyder page, you get the Boxster Spyder pieces which are identical to the ones on the car. They took care of it no problem, though, with an exchange.

The job is fairly simple, but there are two issues - first, the upright pieces are not the same and you either have to layer double sided tape to get them to stick or make an adapter. I will probably pull mine apart and get some plastic pieces made up to fill the gap but for now, the double stick tape (And the tabs that the lip holds in place) have them stuck fairly well.

Upright Part numbers:
981505528801E0
981505527801E0

GT4 lip:
981505525801E0

First pic shows what the bumper looks like after you get the factory piece off. Messy double sided tape. Just insert a plastic pry tool and gently pull the piece off, being careful not to bend it too much. (it's flexible but you can still break it or leave a discolored bend). Easiest way for me was to get my fingers in it and then use the plastic pry tool to cut the tape in the middle, it came off fairly easily.

Next pic shows a 3M adhesive remover wheel which makes the otherwise onerous job of removing the leftover tape really easy.

3rd/4th pic shows the result - clean bumper. And, remove the front lip, just remove the T30 clip at the end of the lip in front of each wheel well and pull straight out from the bumper, mostly forward.

It will make loud popping noises - take a look at where the tab is and try not to pull too far from the next tab.

There is a comparison of the GT4 upright (on the car) with the stock flat piece (in my hand)

Stick the GT4 upright on (before you put the GT4 lip on) and make sure it won't fly off - the real danger is if you scrape the lip and flex the bumper, you don't want to pop those guys off.

Then, stick the GT4 lip on, line it up and bop it with the heel of your palm and it should pop on. Start from one side and go around. (worked better than starting from the middle)

The holes for the retaining clips don't line up, so I opted to drill a tiny hole and use the (included) gt4 screws to hold the lip on. I may go back and buy the clips that the GT4 bumper has to retain those screws but they seem pretty solid thus far.
Attached Images       
Old 05-23-2016, 09:00 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

The lip really rounds out the front of the car.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2016, 09:26 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 755 Posts

Great looking car!
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does look really good. You are giving me front splitter envy too!
Old 05-24-2016, 02:54 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

nice work man! Are those platinum or silver wheels you have there?
Old 05-24-2016, 03:36 AM
kitwetzler
Racer

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
nice work man! Are those platinum or silver wheels you have there?
they are a bit lighter than the platinum finish, OZ calls it gray. I like them!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:51 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

nice mod !

Donn
Old 02-09-2018, 03:17 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
My neighbor got a GT4 right after I got my spyder and it's fun to see them together, but man, I had huge front spoiler lip envy. The GT4 lip really looks good, so I ordered one and discovered that you need the plastic upright pieces to complete the look. Ordered those from Suncoast's page and if you order them from the Boxster Spyder page, you get the Boxster Spyder pieces which are identical to the ones on the car. They took care of it no problem, though, with an exchange.

The job is fairly simple, but there are two issues - first, the upright pieces are not the same and you either have to layer double sided tape to get them to stick or make an adapter. I will probably pull mine apart and get some plastic pieces made up to fill the gap but for now, the double stick tape (And the tabs that the lip holds in place) have them stuck fairly well.

Upright Part numbers:
981505528801E0
981505527801E0

GT4 lip:
981505525801E0

First pic shows what the bumper looks like after you get the factory piece off. Messy double sided tape. Just insert a plastic pry tool and gently pull the piece off, being careful not to bend it too much. (it's flexible but you can still break it or leave a discolored bend). Easiest way for me was to get my fingers in it and then use the plastic pry tool to cut the tape in the middle, it came off fairly easily.

Next pic shows a 3M adhesive remover wheel which makes the otherwise onerous job of removing the leftover tape really easy.

3rd/4th pic shows the result - clean bumper. And, remove the front lip, just remove the T30 clip at the end of the lip in front of each wheel well and pull straight out from the bumper, mostly forward.

It will make loud popping noises - take a look at where the tab is and try not to pull too far from the next tab.

There is a comparison of the GT4 upright (on the car) with the stock flat piece (in my hand)

Stick the GT4 upright on (before you put the GT4 lip on) and make sure it won't fly off - the real danger is if you scrape the lip and flex the bumper, you don't want to pop those guys off.

Then, stick the GT4 lip on, line it up and bop it with the heel of your palm and it should pop on. Start from one side and go around. (worked better than starting from the middle)

The holes for the retaining clips don't line up, so I opted to drill a tiny hole and use the (included) gt4 screws to hold the lip on. I may go back and buy the clips that the GT4 bumper has to retain those screws but they seem pretty solid thus far.
I'm not exactly sure what the OP means by "the holes for the retaining clips don't line up." Anyone have a nice image of what he's talking about? I'm doing this upgrade soon and I'd rather do it right the first time than slap it up, realize what other parts I need, take it apart again, and then re-do it.

I'm thinking that what he means is that he wants to use items 8 and 11 from the GT4 fiche image and adapt them to the Spyder. The Sypder fiche shows a screw and rivet retention at each end of the lip but the GT4 image doesn't show the retention method as clearly.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:38 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,629 Likes on 898 Posts

Not 100% sure as I haven’t seen the GT4 lip off, but I have removed mine a couple times. Noticed that the GT4 lip doesn’t have part #9 and #22. These are a clip to secure the bottom of the lip. Since the GT4 lip doesn’t have a bottom, in a sense hollow, it doesn’t have these? Sorry, not much help.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:14 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Not 100% sure as I haven’t seen the GT4 lip off, but I have removed mine a couple times. Noticed that the GT4 lip doesn’t have part #9 and #22. These are a clip to secure the bottom of the lip. Since the GT4 lip doesn’t have a bottom, in a sense hollow, it doesn’t have these? Sorry, not much help.

The GT4 lip does have holes at each end where some type of screw or bolt must adhere it to the bumper cover (although the pic doesn't show them as clearly as the Spyder pic does). I'm suspecting the holes just aren't in the exact same spot as the Spyder lip's and so comes the drilling some have spoken of. I've ordered the GT4 screws and speed nuts just in case and I'll tackle this next weekend. Right now I don't have a floor jack low profile enough to get under the car. :-(

I'll take some pics and end the mystery once and for all.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
they are a bit lighter than the platinum finish, OZ calls it gray. I like them!
Are these the HLT wheels and are your Center caps different?
i was on tire racks sight and it looks like your caps are lower/flatter than what they
have pictured and I like yours better.

thx!

lip looks great, I have it on mine also!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:17 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man can't believe how much of a difference in looks that front spoiler change makes.

So all you need are those 3 parts from Suncoast and that's it? Nothing else extra for installation?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:10 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Before making this mod, people should consider posts #1136 and #1141 from Pete Stout here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...spyder-76.html
Old 02-13-2018, 09:05 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Before making this mod, people should consider posts #1136 and #1141 from Pete Stout here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...spyder-76.html
Nice! More darty is great at least for me I like added front grip. Slidey rear I can handle so should do good for my Road Atlanta track work in the Spyder!

Also I believe RSS sells duck lip spoiler extensions for the GT4.http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss-carbo...i-2426399.aspx

Is the GT4 spoiler the same as the Spyder rear spoiler? I would think an extension would possibly help the rear of the Spyder be more planted as well at higher speeds.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Man can't believe how much of a difference in looks that front spoiler change makes.

So all you need are those 3 parts from Suncoast and that's it? Nothing else extra for installation?
I think you need a speed nut and screw for each side.

Quick Reply: Installing GT4 lip on a Spyder