Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Golf R as DD??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 05:30 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

After having my Golf R for a couple months I have to say it is a great car!
I did the stage 1 APR tune and this car is fast!
I know the manual is slower than the DSG but I am still glad I bought the manual.
I have enjoyed driving this on a daily basis.
The only issue is that after driving the Golf R and I get in the GT4, the clutch feels like a leg press with some serious weight on it. In the past I never gave the clutch a second thought, but the Golf R is so light by comparison!
Great car! Glad I got one!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:58 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
After having my Golf R for a couple months I have to say it is a great car! I did the stage 1 APR tune and this car is fast! I know the manual is slower than the DSG but I am still glad I bought the manual. I have enjoyed driving this on a daily basis. The only issue is that after driving the Golf R and I get in the GT4, the clutch feels like a leg press with some serious weight on it. In the past I never gave the clutch a second thought, but the Golf R is so light by comparison! Great car! Glad I got one!
Any issues with STG1? I know a while back they had some bugs. I've been considering stage 1 and the tcu tune too.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:03 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
After having my Golf R for a couple months I have to say it is a great car!
I did the stage 1 APR tune and this car is fast!
I know the manual is slower than the DSG but I am still glad I bought the manual.
I have enjoyed driving this on a daily basis.
The only issue is that after driving the Golf R and I get in the GT4, the clutch feels like a leg press with some serious weight on it. In the past I never gave the clutch a second thought, but the Golf R is so light by comparison!
Great car! Glad I got one!
Just got back from my ED with the GT4 for a week and some change. Drove my M3 for the first time in a while and the clutch felt so light. Took me a few minutes to readjust.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 PM
ITR1227
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had an APR Stage 2+ Mk6 Golf R since 2012 and have zero issues with it or the tune. I love it! I had to get an up-rated clutch so my jump between it and GT4 isn't so bad on the clutch pressure required. But I still have my Integra Type R and talk about a light clutch! That takes a lot of time to get used to after the other two cars!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S/GT3
Or you could wait for the Golf R400
You would be waiting awhile. Unfortunately VW canceled it.

For those interested in a GTI, for 2017 there will be a 'Sport' model that includes the previously optional (and hard to find in dealer stock) Performance Package.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,978 Likes on 2,816 Posts

I think the Audi RS3 Sedan is coming to US with around 400hp - and you can get Euro Delivery unlike Golf R400 (although sedan is not as versatile as hatch or wagon). Also probably no Manual gearbox option like Golf R...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/12/a...ing-spy-shots/
Old 07-13-2016, 02:51 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think the Audi RS3 Sedan is coming to US with around 400hp - and you can get Euro Delivery unlike Golf R400 (although sedan is not as versatile as hatch or wagon). Also probably no Manual gearbox option like Golf R...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/12/a...ing-spy-shots/
No ED for RS cars 😠
Old 07-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

The Golf R is nice but I would also recommend another alternative... especially for those that think outside the VAG-box, there's the all-new Focus RS that's now available Stateside. This Frozen White is my new daily driver for a few weeks now and what a great driving car. Still made in Germany by Ford Europe and the 2.3L Turbo is actually Cosworth co-developed. The AWD torque-vectoring RDU is fantastic on the road... its handling & balance is superb. Excellent Recaro seats and all in all it's a fine car to pair up with other Porsches.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:58 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bossing
The Golf R is nice but I would also recommend another alternative... especially for those that think outside the VAG-box, there's the all-new Focus RS that's now available Stateside. This Frozen White is my new daily driver for a few weeks now and what a great driving car. Still made in Germany by Ford Europe and the 2.3L Turbo is actually Cosworth co-developed. The AWD torque-vectoring RDU is fantastic on the road... its handling & balance is superb. Excellent Recaro seats and all in all it's a fine car to pair up with other Porsches.
Dude I know. I would totally buy that car. Unfortunately I have a car buying problem and made a deal.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Horstair
No ED for RS cars 😠
No ED with Discount or No ED Period? I thought the really desirable models like the R8 were still available for ED, but without the discount...
Old 07-13-2016, 06:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update: Just called Audi and RS models are indeed available for ED, but without the discount (like Porsche).
Old 07-14-2016, 01:12 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Update: Just called Audi and RS models are indeed available for ED, but without the discount (like Porsche).
Tx Grant! My dealer told me no RS models qualify for ED, only R8 without discount. A friend if mine wanted to do ED in an RS5 and couldn't. Must have changed since. Great since I'm #1 on my dealers list for the RS and want to repeat my 8 racetracks in 15 days adventure in the GT4 with the RS. Got the first S3 on the west coast which was displayed at Pebble Beach in 14 and should be good for the first RS in CA.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:58 AM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been looking at the Golf R but, with the end of the year deals, might end up with a GTI - and perhaps not even the Performance Pack. I got a quote for a 4 door, stick shift SE with Performance Pack, DCC and Lighting package; out the door price of $31k.

But another dealer who didn't have an SE to sell is asking $26,500 OTD for a GTI S, also four door stick. I don't care about the difference between S and SE (I like the cloth seats and I'm indifferent to the sun roof), so now I'm wondering whether the extra $4300 is worth it to get DCC and the Performance Pack. Daily driver and not a track car; will I notice the difference? I'm very tempted to just go with the S model. I'd love to hear if anyone else has looked at the same choices.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:29 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FergusH
I've been looking at the Golf R but, with the end of the year deals, might end up with a GTI - and perhaps not even the Performance Pack. I got a quote for a 4 door, stick shift SE with Performance Pack, DCC and Lighting package; out the door price of $31k. But another dealer who didn't have an SE to sell is asking $26,500 OTD for a GTI S, also four door stick. I don't care about the difference between S and SE (I like the cloth seats and I'm indifferent to the sun roof), so now I'm wondering whether the extra $4300 is worth it to get DCC and the Performance Pack. Daily driver and not a track car; will I notice the difference? I'm very tempted to just go with the S model. I'd love to hear if anyone else has looked at the same choices.
If you spend time on tight mountain roads with your DD from time to time you will miss the performance pack. Also my guess is the PP boosts resale.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:57 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. I have been looking to buy a slightly used or CPO Lapiz Blue DSG, DCC 2015 Golf R so that I can use my 2016 991 GTS for weekend or PCA DE track days (I am putting too many miles on a car that I never plan to sell). I am glad to read all the positive comments. I want it to be my DD plus a track car. I want to add APR's Stage 1 with TCU and their Brembo brakes. HPA informed me that the company that makes their Haldex controller is developing one for the Gen 5 Haldex on the Mk 7 Golf R. If it is anything like what they did for the Mk 6 Golf R, it should have a greater rear drive bias. Finally, want to add KW coilovers that work with the DCC. It will drop the car about 1" and still ride fairly stock. I should be able to do all this for about $50 K. Not cheap but cheaper than continuing to track my 991 7MT GTS. Just started tracking and find it addicting. Oh well, we all have to have at least 1 vice.

Quick Reply: Golf R as DD??