GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

LWB passenger seat sub belt

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,431 Likes on 2,521 Posts

My GT3 had the hole in the passenger cushion for the anti-sub belt, but other GT3s didn't - it was hit or miss. Cutting the hole in the shell of the seat wasn't a big deal for my shop.

Does anyone know whether we can order the cushion with the hole already in it? Maybe it's the same cushion as the driver's seat? If the cost of the cushion isn't exhorbitant, I'd rather go that route instead of cutting the cushion.

I plan to use 6-pt harnesses with proper anti-sub belts. Unless alternative systems are backed by solid test data, I personally wouldn't even consider them.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:57 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
My GT3 had the hole in the passenger cushion for the anti-sub belt, but other GT3s didn't - it was hit or miss. Cutting the hole in the shell of the seat wasn't a big deal for my shop.

Does anyone know whether we can order the cushion with the hole already in it? Maybe it's the same cushion as the driver's seat? If the cost of the cushion isn't exhorbitant, I'd rather go that route instead of cutting the cushion.

I plan to use 6-pt harnesses with proper anti-sub belts. Unless alternative systems are backed by solid test data, I personally wouldn't even consider them.
That mostly will be a EU PN which might be able to be gotten from a dealer with access to that catalog.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:13 PM
acropora157
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Of all the mods we have had to make to new cars, cutting a hole in a passenger LWB seat and slicing through the cushion is hands down the most stressful and was more intense than doing the first ever 3.8L DFI swap!!!!!
What did you use to cut the hole in the seat. I'm was thinking to first drill two holes, then using a Jig saw to join them. LMK how you did it. Thanks
Old 12-24-2015, 06:47 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

Team Tech had all the data I needed to feel it was a good alternative in the Z06. I'm hoping to put Willans harnesses in assuming they'll work with the HANS (or whatever neck restraint I opt for) but I would absolutely buy TeamTech again.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 630 Likes on 386 Posts

I had a hole cut in the passenger seat bucket. Easy peasy, no issues.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:49 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I had a hole cut in the passenger seat bucket. Easy peasy, no issues.
Same here.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:50 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by acropora157
What did you use to cut the hole in the seat. I'm was thinking to first drill two holes, then using a Jig saw to join them. LMK how you did it. Thanks .
We started with a hole saw and then cleaned it up with a Dremel tool. It's just a lot of anxiety because the seats are gorgeous and expensive but just like everything else in this industry, we fear that which we don't know. It's fine, and not a hard task,
Old 12-25-2015, 03:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Old 12-25-2015, 03:38 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Thanks BGB and orthojoe for the info. Very helpful.

What are people doing to solve the problem of no pass-through in the seat bottom cushion. I don't want to cut the fabric to have it start to fray over time. That could be a mess. Wondering if anyone has found an elegant solution.

Once I get the cushion I'll be able to determine if I can make a careful cut and then hand stitch so it doesn't "expand". Since these cuts and stitches would be on the bottom of the cushion and not visible unless someone takes the seat apart - I'm not too worried about doing something by hand. I think I can probably make it look neat and professional enough and keep it intact.

Suggestions?
Old 12-25-2015, 03:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Thanks BGB and orthojoe for the info. Very helpful.

What are people doing to solve the problem of no pass-through in the seat bottom cushion. I don't want to cut the fabric to have it start to fray over time. That could be a mess. Wondering if anyone has found an elegant solution.

Once I get the cushion I'll be able to determine if I can make a careful cut and then hand stitch so it doesn't "expand". Since these cuts and stitches would be on the bottom of the cushion and not visible unless someone takes the seat apart - I'm not too worried about doing something by hand. I think I can probably make it look neat and professional enough and keep it intact.

Suggestions?
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12030134
Old 12-25-2015, 04:08 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

MANY thanks!!!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:34 PM
acropora157
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
We started with a hole saw and then cleaned it up with a Dremel tool. It's just a lot of anxiety because the seats are gorgeous and expensive but just like everything else in this industry, we fear that which we don't know. It's fine, and not a hard task,
Thank you BGB and Orthojoe.

Here's an extensive look at cutting carbon fiber. Best to start at the 9:30 mark which shows the use of a dremel with a Tungsten Carbide grit abrasive wheel.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:06 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Excellent video. Thank you for posting.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Just be sure to wear a respirator. Breathing carbon fiber dust is not a good idea.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:05 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...I finally got my car back from euro delivery...my passenger seat has the sub belt pass through.

Quick Reply: LWB passenger seat sub belt