Sponsored by: APR

approx cost to swap out pccb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
a quick non scientific search on cars.com shows no appreciable difference in steel vs pccb car prices.

sample set:
2014 911s pdk coupe with roughly same miles
Correct. PCCB, or any other option other than LWB gains you nothing on resale.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Speaking of misinformation, are you SURE about this statement? There is a thread in the GT3 forum that has 3 guys (iirc, at least one in Europe and one in North America) reporting how their pccb are toast after only a handful of track days. Pccb longevity has a LOT to do with the track and the DRIVER.
And there's also plenty of discussion over there by GT3 owners tracking them and getting a lot of life out of them. And the life of ANY braking components has a lot to do with the track and driver. The blanket assumption that PCCBs go to dust on the track in a few weeks is nonsense.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Except on street cars the cost of maintaining them is almost nothing, because they last for freaking ever. There's so much misinformation out there about PCCBs it's comical.

Even on the track, folks are getting a ton of life out of the Gen 3 PCCBs.
Originally Posted by Archimedes
And there's also plenty of discussion over there by GT3 owners tracking them and getting a lot of life out of them. And the life of ANY braking components has a lot to do with the track and driver. The blanket assumption that PCCBs go to dust on the track in a few weeks is nonsense.
What are you getting at? Nobody is making any assumptions. We are only reporting real world findings.

Some people will get a ton of life out of them on track for the following reasons:

1) The only track a few times a year, so the car is sold and gone before the rotors get a chance to wear away
2) The brakes are not being used to their full capacity/potential, so they don't get hot enough to start wearing.

If either of those reasons fit your description, then you're good. However, some people can't or don't realize #2. Dunning Kruger effect. Google it.

Most of the misinformation out there about PCCB is about how they last forever and are ideal for track use. NOT the other way around as you suggest. How many times have dealers, reviewers, and posters make comments about how PCCB should be a must option if you track? Way too many times.

You're right, there is some fear out there by some who are intermediate drivers or rarely go to the track that their PCCB will fall apart. Those fears are unfounded. That doesn't mean a blanket statement like "Even on the track, folks are getting a ton of life out of the Gen 3 PCCBs" can be made, though, because it's NOT true. That is misinformation. Potential for premature wear on track should definitely be considered and not blown off.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:58 PM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know about Porsche, but with BMW the booster is different as is the ABS software. If this is the same on the Porsche, and given PTV (how it uses the rear brakes) I wouldn't even consider swapping rings on a PCCB equipped car. Too many variables IMHO. I went steels as if I have an off and chip a rotor I'm out major $$$.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:03 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

What are you getting at? Nobody is making any assumptions. We are only reporting real world findings.

Some people will get a ton of life out of them on track for the following reasons:

1) The only track a few times a year, so the car is sold and gone before the rotors get a chance to wear away
2) The brakes are not being used to their full capacity/potential, so they don't get hot enough to start wearing.

If either of those reasons fit your description, then you're good. However, some people can't or don't realize #2. Dunning Kruger effect. Google it.

Most of the misinformation out there about PCCB is about how they last forever and are ideal for track use. NOT the other way around as you suggest. How many times have dealers, reviewers, and posters make comments about how PCCB should be a must option if you track? Way too many times.

You're right, there is some fear out there by some who are intermediate drivers or rarely go to the track that their PCCB will fall apart. Those fears are unfounded. That doesn't mean a blanket statement like "Even on the track, folks are getting a ton of life out of the Gen 3 PCCBs" can be made, though, because it's NOT true. That is misinformation. Potential for premature wear on track should definitely be considered and not blown off.
+1000

And I learned a new term - Dunning Kruger, that explains a lot
Old 12-05-2015, 03:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
+1000

And I learned a new term - Dunning Kruger, that explains a lot
I learned the term from another fellow rennlister. LOL!

It DOES explain a LOT of things in life...
Old 12-05-2015, 03:47 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ccibo72
I don't know about Porsche, but with BMW the booster is different as is the ABS software. If this is the same on the Porsche, and given PTV (how it uses the rear brakes) I wouldn't even consider swapping rings on a PCCB equipped car. Too many variables IMHO. I went steels as if I have an off and chip a rotor I'm out major $$$.
same for me. and i've had a few pebbles get into my calipers on prior cars while on the street.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Dunning Kruger, that explains a lot

+1
Old 12-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I learned the term from another fellow rennlister. LOL!

It DOES explain a LOT of things in life...
I wonder if Dunning and Kruger tested their hypothesis on surgeons?

Not you of course Joe, but I know a handful. . .
Old 12-05-2015, 06:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I wonder if Dunning and Kruger tested their hypothesis on surgeons?

Not you of course Joe, but I know a handful. . .
It is applicable to any and ALL, imo. Lol!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is applicable to any and ALL, imo. Lol!
So that explains why my one partner is such a big F@#$ing A*&hole! lol. Thanks guys, you made my day, and helped in my quest for Nirvana!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

+1
I would be concerned with the software change as I'm sure it must change for the type of brakes (steel/PCCB) due to friction point. Gotta affect braking, ABS, Traction systems, etc.

Originally Posted by ccibo72
Old 12-06-2015, 01:37 AM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So...in speccing my GT4 my one dilemma came down to the brakes. The lighter weight and the reported feel of the ceramics always appealed to me as well as anecdotal evidence from friends that have tried it and has it on their cars. A little background- our track in Tulsa- Hallett, is a technical "hard on brakes" track. I wore out my OEM pads and steel rotors on my turbo in about 3 track days Lots of threshold braking! I put on some giro disks and PFC pads that will go basically unused to the next buyer of the car. I plan to do at least 6-8 track days a year if not more, though with work that's likely wishful thinking. I read about a million threads trying to figure out the PCCB or not dilemma. In the medical field we use the data obtained through RCT's (randomized control trials) to help dictate our practice That's not gonna happen in this debate, thus I'm gonna put my own trial to the test. I plan on running ceramics and if they go I will switch back to steels as someone mentioned earlier. As Joe stated there are a lot of variables involved and will just have to see how it goes. Should be a lot more exciting than a lot of medical trials I reckon
Old 12-06-2015, 04:10 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,282 Likes on 613 Posts

I have had great experiences with my GT3RS track cars on ceramics and I ordered the GT4 with ceramics.

In regards to usage- if you bed them in properly, they do last a really really long time. You have to properly transfer pad material to the rotor by heating them up and cooling them off a few times- if you just drive like a granny for 1000 miles then bomb on them at the track they will wear faster. The pads will carbonize (like han solo for star wars fans) and then they will simply abrade the rotors.

To OP I will buy your unused pccb rotors for 9k. Let me know.

I can write up the full pccb bedding procedure to be done immediately when you get the car but here is a synopsis:

Make 12-15 decels from 50-20mph at around .3G allowing 10-15 seconds in between

Drive 2-3 miles without braking to allow brakes to cool. Once cold-

Make 12-15 decels from 75-20 at around .5G
Allow 20-30 seconds in between.

Drive 2-3 miles without braking to allow brakes to cool.

Make 6-8 stops from 85-20mph at .7G
Allow 30 seconds in between.

Drive 2-3 miles etc etc

Make 3 full effort braking stops from 60mph-0.
Allow 30 seconds in between.

Drive 4-5 miles. Park car outside or in cool temps to allow pad material that has transferred to rotors to harden naturally.

Voila.

Iron rotors are a shorter but similar process and only require about 20 total stops as opposed to the 35+ on pccb.

I did this on my RS and got 40+ track days on original rotors. I replaced various pagid pads 3-4 times in that span. Drove car on Laguna, Sonoma, Willow, Buttonwillow, Fontana, MSR Cresson. I used hoosiers, mpsc.

Another thing to consider on brake life is the tire. If you are running on hoosiers they will allow for a much higher threshold brake than on MPSC or P-zero etc. not sure of exact data but at least .1-.2G extra on brakes.

Last- if you drive with TCS/Stability control mode on and you are ham-fisted you will roast the rears. The porsche 'rear brake to save your traction control' leads to a lot of carbonized brakes.

Hugs.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:31 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
+1
I would be concerned with the software change as I'm sure it must change for the type of brakes (steel/PCCB) due to friction point. Gotta affect braking, ABS, Traction systems, etc.

Don't know if this changed with the latest generation, but I saw plenty of PCCB factory equipped 997 GT3 cars at the track with steel rotors, without any issues.

Quick Reply: approx cost to swap out pccb?