Sponsored by: APR

approx cost to swap out pccb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:06 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts
Default approx cost to swap out pccb?

so if you had a pccb and wanted steelies what would approx cost be to swap out? it seems that many intend to do this anyway.

and is there any value to the pccb system if you were to put them for sale?
Old 12-04-2015, 07:35 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you'd be better off finding aftermarket steel rotors that will fit the PCCB caliper, in fact I seem to remember reading that you can use OE steel rotors with PCCB calipers if you just remove a spacer on the front calipers intended to allow them to handle 410mm rotors, or maybe that was the only design difference but the spacer isn't removable? Anyhow, I believe the pad shape is the same between the two caliper types, so once you had a rotor solution pads would be no problem. You'd still have a different brake booster from factory steel brakes, so it might feel overboosted, but replacing that would be a lot more effort and cash.

I doubt you'd find much of a market for PCCB parts except maybe pads and (in time) rotors. For the rest, I believe Porsche sells official PCCB retrofit kits, at least for other cars.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:44 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

If there is a market for PCCB retrofit I bet you'll be disappointed in what you can command versus what you think you can command.
In another words, price an earlier MY model on the used market and see what the PCCBs add in value compared to the original cost. And DON'T believe stealers.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:54 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Actually I wouldn't because I think they are totally overrated and furthermore somebody shopping usedcars isn't going to want the burden and potential cost of maintaining carbon brakes

They are a bling item for back nine bragging
Old 12-04-2015, 11:21 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I 2nd putting on steel rotors and pads. Girodiscs, PFCs, AP. Save pristine carbon rotors and pads when you sell it. Trying to swap calipers and such may be a pain... not sure if the master cylinder is different (it was in the previous gen caymans).
Old 12-04-2015, 11:38 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
I 2nd putting on steel rotors and pads. Girodiscs, PFCs, AP. Save pristine carbon rotors and pads when you sell it. Trying to swap calipers and such may be a pain... not sure if the master cylinder is different (it was in the previous gen caymans).
I'm not sure I understand this? They are not going to add the 'first cost' value to a used car so why not run them. The exception is cars that will see regular track duty.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:04 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

There are basically three options (other than just ordering or buying a car with cast iron brakes):

- Drive it with the PCCB's. If or when you need to replace them, replace them with cast iron.
- Replace the PCCB rotors with cast iron. Leave the rest alone. Sell the rotors. Should be fairly easy as they fit the GT3 and turbos as well. I would guess they would bring around $15k as 4 new rotors would cost $20k.
- Replace the PCCB rotors and save them. Put them back on the car for resale. Might bring an extra couple thousand dollars.

Saving them for the next owner really makes no sense - financial or otherwise. I'd say either use them or sell them. Replacement cast iron rotors should be around $4k. A few companies already have them available.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:11 AM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
so if you had a pccb and wanted steelies what would approx cost be to swap out? it seems that many intend to do this anyway.

and is there any value to the pccb system if you were to put them for sale?
I am interested in swapping my steel rotors with you plus a reasonable amount of cash as I would like PCCB.

Let me know my car only has 186 miles of usage so far so brakes are essentially new.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:21 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
Actually I wouldn't because I think they are totally overrated and furthermore somebody shopping usedcars isn't going to want the burden and potential cost of maintaining carbon brakes They are a bling item for back nine bragging
Except on street cars the cost of maintaining them is almost nothing, because they last for freaking ever. There's so much misinformation out there about PCCBs it's comical.

Even on the track, folks are getting a ton of life out of the Gen 3 PCCBs.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:52 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
There are basically three options (other than just ordering or buying a car with cast iron brakes):

- Drive it with the PCCB's. If or when you need to replace them, replace them with cast iron.
- Replace the PCCB rotors with cast iron. Leave the rest alone. Sell the rotors. Should be fairly easy as they fit the GT3 and turbos as well. I would guess they would bring around $15k as 4 new rotors would cost $20k.
- Replace the PCCB rotors and save them. Put them back on the car for resale. Might bring an extra couple thousand dollars.

Saving them for the next owner really makes no sense - financial or otherwise. I'd say either use them or sell them. Replacement cast iron rotors should be around $4k. A few companies already have them available.
Can you really deal rotors out without also changing pads? I thought PCCB pads were designed only for PCCB rotors.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Even on the track, folks are getting a ton of life out of the Gen 3 PCCBs.
Speaking of misinformation, are you SURE about this statement?

There is a thread in the GT3 forum that has 3 guys (iirc, at least one in Europe and one in North America) reporting how their pccb are toast after only a handful of track days. Pccb longevity has a LOT to do with the track and the DRIVER.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:07 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Perhaps the point here is that steel brakes are a known quantity.
And pccb are a known unknown for many folks. And frankly the cost of that education eclipses the value of the lesson for most applications.

the OP wasn't about the merit of one or the other.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:29 AM
acropora157
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Speaking of misinformation, are you SURE about this statement?

There is a thread in the GT3 forum that has 3 guys (iirc, at least one in Europe and one in North America) reporting how their pccb are toast after only a handful of track days. Pccb longevity has a LOT to do with the track and the DRIVER.
I agree completely. It depends on the driver and the amount of track days. For track rats like myself, the PCCB's will become very costly over time. As far as resale, I cringe when I see them on a car that I might consider buying, since I know I could find a car with the options I want without the PCCB's at a much cheaper price. So I would vote for trading the set up now to someone who does not track the car and wants them.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:38 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

I would never buy/pay a premium for a car with PCCB for how I use the car. As much as people say they work for the track, there are anecdotes to say the contrary - and not to mention it's 20K for a new set - vs. 1200 for iron rings F/R with a AP/PFC setup. If you are a beginner, you're probably safe. If you are a track rat and baller enough to spend 20K (20% of the MSRP of a GT4) a season on rotors, you should have bought a cup car.

If you are going to sell the rotors on ebay or on renn, there is so much misinformation about wear that right off the bat people are skeptical of the condition and you'll maybe get 7-9K for a nearly new set.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:39 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
If there is a market for PCCB retrofit I bet you'll be disappointed in what you can command versus what you think you can command.
In another words, price an earlier MY model on the used market and see what the PCCBs add in value compared to the original cost. And DON'T believe stealers.
a quick non scientific search on cars.com shows no appreciable difference in steel vs pccb car prices.

sample set:
2014 911s pdk coupe with roughly same miles

Quick Reply: approx cost to swap out pccb?