Asiandude66
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sub'ed for great discussions
Old 12-06-2015, 12:51 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

heat. I think heat management is the key to longevity just as with steels.

If you consistently super heated them and do not allow them to cool down before going out again, you will kill/crack them. easy. steels are just cheaper.

Conversely, by being mechanically sympathetic with the brakes (i.e. not too many laps and always have a cool down lap, you may prolong the disc longevity). True that novices may not get their brakes hot enough but even regular track rats can benefit from just being prudent about the number of laps/ track time before pitting and doing a cool down lap....

it's not just one thing. It's a whole host of behaviours.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I have had great experiences with my GT3RS track cars on ceramics and I ordered the GT4 with ceramics.

In regards to usage- if you bed them in properly, they do last a really really long time. You have to properly transfer pad material to the rotor by heating them up and cooling them off a few times- if you just drive like a granny for 1000 miles then bomb on them at the track they will wear faster. The pads will carbonize (like han solo for star wars fans) and then they will simply abrade the rotors.

To OP I will buy your unused pccb rotors for 9k. Let me know.

I can write up the full pccb bedding procedure to be done immediately when you get the car but here is a synopsis:

Make 12-15 decels from 50-20mph at around .3G allowing 10-15 seconds in between

Drive 2-3 miles without braking to allow brakes to cool. Once cold-

Make 12-15 decels from 75-20 at around .5G
Allow 20-30 seconds in between.

Drive 2-3 miles without braking to allow brakes to cool.

Make 6-8 stops from 85-20mph at .7G
Allow 30 seconds in between.

Drive 2-3 miles etc etc

Make 3 full effort braking stops from 60mph-0.

Drive 4-5 miles. Park car outside or in cool temps to allow pad material that has transferred to rotors to harden naturally.

Voila.

Iron rotors are a shorter but similar process and only require about 20 total stops as opposed to the 35+ on pccb.

I did this on my RS and got 40+ track days on original rotors. I replaced various pagid pads 3-4 times in that span. Drove car on Laguna, Sonoma, Willow, Buttonwillow, Fontana, MSR Cresson. I used hoosiers, mpsc.

Another thing to consider on brake life is the tire. If you are running on hoosiers they will allow for a much higher threshold brake than on MPSC or P-zero etc. not sure of exact data but at least .1-.2G extra on brakes.

Last- if you drive with TCS/Stability control mode on and you are ham-fisted you will roast the rears. The porsche 'rear brake to save your traction control' leads to a lot of carbonized brakes.

Hugs.
Good info on the bedding process. I haven't seen that info shared before, so thank you. I did not perform this type of bedding process on my PCCB spyder which started to show signs of wear after only a handful of track days on OEM brake pads, so this may be a contributing factor to some cars showing pccb wear rates equal to or worse than iron rotors on track.

40 days out of PCCB rotors is about what I would expect. That being said 40 days on rotors is still too rich for my blood and the cost/benefit isn't worth it to me. At that rate, my GT3 would be needing new pccb rotors after a little over 1 year of ownership. OEM iron rotors last about 20+ days, and the AP rotors I'm running right now look like they'll last close to 30 days. For my budget, iron works great.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
heat. I think heat management is the key to longevity just as with steels.

If you consistently super heated them and do not allow them to cool down before going out again, you will kill/crack them. easy. steels are just cheaper.

Conversely, by being mechanically sympathetic with the brakes (i.e. not too many laps and always have a cool down lap, you may prolong the disc longevity). True that novices may not get their brakes hot enough but even regular track rats can benefit from just being prudent about the number of laps/ track time before pitting and doing a cool down lap....

it's not just one thing. It's a whole host of behaviours.
Probably right, but couple the finicky process of bedding with having to 'baby' the brakes by keeping a watchful eye on cool down and number of laps is a pain I would rather not deal with. When I 'm out there, I want to drive as a hard as I want and as long as I want without having to worry or think about the brakes. I never give a second thought about anything when I run the iron brakes setup on my cars. I just do what I want to do, which is the beauty of these cars. Bedding? Never needed to. Limit number of laps? Not when you have 3 guys pounding on the car on an unlimited open track day. Cooldown? Don't always get a chance to when the checkered flag comes out just at the last flagging station before the exit. I've never seen the iron brakes on the GT3 smoke and the calipers haven't discolored (vs other cars that discolor and smoke from day one). Give me the convenience and cost benefit of iron rotors over pccb, but that's ME. I know you've made your decision already.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:58 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info CJ. Will be sure to do that with the PCCB before tracking. Appreciate it!
Old 12-08-2015, 09:19 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

PCCB is the way to go.

Why order a car with pccb and shelf them and downgrade to standard brake?.

Hundred Corvette, Camaro and now Viper come with CCM and track their cars w/o any issues.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:44 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Yeah joe.

Gt4 will be not be a dedicated track car but a car and coffee sort of track car where I turn up to exercise the car, have a few laps of fun and plenty of chatter in the paddock. What's the point of a meet if the car doesn't see action. 😀

I wouldn't encourage any owner to treat their pccb car with the same abandon as with steels. Btw, I concur with the new gen AP discs. Much longer lasting than PF and longer lasting on my csl.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Asiandude66
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just yesterday I noticed that the GT3 PCCB option lists the same size rotors and calipers as the GT4, then I looked up the RS and the 918 and they all list the exact same size components for PCCB.

My question is "does Porsche only make one set of PCCB brakes and are peddling it for different models?"

Thanks
Old 12-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Mc21
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Asiandude66
Just yesterday I noticed that the GT3 PCCB option lists the same size rotors and calipers as the GT4, then I looked up the RS and the 918 and they all list the exact same size components for PCCB.

My question is "does Porsche only make one set of PCCB brakes and are peddling it for different models?"

Thanks

I believe the rotors are all the same, but the 918 gets bigger calipers.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:54 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Asiandude66

Thanks
I think PCCB on the 911/S/GTS (and maybe Turbo?) as well as the other 981s (including the Spyder?) have smaller PCCB rotors, but those may all be the same as each other. I'm obviously too lazy to go look this up right now, but yes there's a lot of parts sharing going on, and if you haven't also already noticed this, the same parts cost different amounts depending on the car you're buying, such as PCCB on the GT3 vs GT4. And in fact even buying them as parts later, they have different prices and part numbers even though they're exactly the same thing. For a while GT3 PCCB guys were buying Turbo PCCB rotors for this reason.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:13 AM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can write up the full pccb bedding procedure to be done immediately when you get the car but here is a synopsis:

Drive 2-3 miles etc etc

Drive 4-5 miles. Park car outside or in cool temps to allow pad material that has transferred to rotors to harden naturally.

Voila.

Iron rotors are a shorter but similar process and only require about 20 total stops as opposed to the 35+ on pccb.

I did this on my RS and got 40+ track days on original rotors. I replaced various pagid pads 3-4 times in that span. Drove car on Laguna, Sonoma, Willow, Buttonwillow, Fontana, MSR Cresson. I used hoosiers, mpsc.

Another thing to consider on brake life is the tire. If you are running on hoosiers they will allow for a much higher threshold brake than on MPSC or P-zero etc. not sure of exact data but at least .1-.2G extra on brakes.

Last- if you drive with TCS/Stability control mode on and you are ham-fisted you will roast the rears. The porsche 'rear brake to save your traction control' leads to a lot of carbonized brakes.
^This is interesting info I've not seen either. I have 1400 miles on my gt4 with PCCBs and Id like to do what I can to bed them in properly, if this is even possible now that I have miles on the car.

Having just completed by break in period I haven't stomped on them yet but this will be my first weekend to really flog this car. Am I too late to do this right? Or should I modify the above? I'm sure the process may be subjective (like my self imposed break in) but I can hear the pads rubbing on all four corners when I brake lightly, as if they still need to bed in which seems very probable given that most miles have been spent between 3rd and 6th gears on long drives with few stops. Harder braking is quiet as it should be.

My prior car had PCCBs and I was told to 'just pound on 'em' and that seemed to work, and those brakes were so amazing there was no debate when I specced the new car. I track only 8-12 days/ year so yellow works for me. Coincidence that I planned all week to specifically abuse my brakes this weekend so glad I ran across this post! Thanks Ichiban for weighing in with some solid experience!! This is what I'll do this afternoon unless there's a better suggestion given the TYPE of mileage I've accumulated so far.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:04 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

I am no expert but track pad break in is rather specific and always involves several hard stops from say 70mph cool down repeat and you r done.

whereas street pads just require normal driving and not be too hard on them for 100 miles or so.

I suspect the reason track pads are so specific is to prevent folks from just going on track and pounding on them thus ruining the brakes. If you had been adequately gentle on your driving during the 1,000 miles, then you should consider your pads broken in.

Otherwise on replacement, I would consult your service technician for the proper bedding procedures.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,636 Likes on 759 Posts

I have had great experiences with my GT3RS track cars on ceramics and I ordered the GT4 with ceramics.

In regards to usage- if you bed them in properly, they do last a really really long time. You have to properly transfer pad material to the rotor by heating them up and cooling them off a few times- if you just drive like a granny for 1000 miles then bomb on them at the track they will wear faster. The pads will carbonize (like han solo for star wars fans) and then they will simply abrade the rotors.

To OP I will buy your unused pccb rotors for 9k. Let me know.

Drive 2-3 miles etc etc

Voila.

Hugs.
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Good info on the bedding process. I haven't seen that info shared before, so thank you. I did not perform this type of bedding process on my PCCB spyder which started to show signs of wear after only a handful of track days on OEM brake pads, so this may be a contributing factor to some cars showing pccb wear rates equal to or worse than iron rotors on track.

40 days out of PCCB rotors is about what I would expect. That being said 40 days on rotors is still too rich for my blood and the cost/benefit isn't worth it to me. At that rate, my GT3 would be needing new pccb rotors after a little over 1 year of ownership. OEM iron rotors last about 20+ days, and the AP rotors I'm running right now look like they'll last close to 30 days. For my budget, iron works great.
That's data, thank you C.J..
+1 on what Joe wrote plus I hate bedding in brakes, one of the reasons I love PFC11 compound on steel rotors.

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
PCCB is the way to go.
Why order a car with pccb and shelf them and downgrade to standard brake?.

Hundred Corvette, Camaro and now Viper come with CCM and track their cars w/o any issues.
And there are many with issues and if you just go (Porsche) Retail, very expensive issues.

Racing Brake could redefine running of CCB after more track proven twice refurbished rotor wear data starts becoming available. Its just who wants to go first and how quickly can they rack up 40 track days x 3...

Personally, its a debate about what pedal and steering feedback feel you like better and if you do like PCCB better how much will it cost you more then steel to run them per track day. Oh and how much do you mind dirty wheels or like yellow caliper
Old 12-13-2015, 09:46 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Comment by Terry - A Ferrari F458 owner

Originally Posted by tazandjan
For the money, the Racing Brake CCM rotors are the best deal. These are not the same as the OEM CCM rotors, but carbon silicon carbide all the way through and almost impossible to wear out. Last rotors you will ever need, but the pads will still require periodic replacement. I have the same material in my Mov'It rotors and they are virtually indestructible.
A true life experience and comment and we are in full support of CCM brake applications.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:51 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Dunning Kruger - i Will strive to use that at least once this week, followed up immediately with a withering look and "just google it"

Quick Reply: approx cost to swap out pccb?