Sponsored by: APR

Saved a few months on the tread mill

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:47 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I believe it is recommended if you are going to flash your car you should have it on a charger regardless of whether using an AMG or Lithium. Good info though
Yes, it is recommended for all flashes. The additional problem with the Li is the protection circuitry could cut the voltage earlier than a LA or AGM would get to the min voltage for the DME.
And it cuts it off to zero, not a slow decrease in voltage. Because of this, you'll see people try to get by without the charger with a strong LA or AGM. Unfortunately people have gotten the idea it may be ok.
I'm reminding people to not try that with an Li. because of the additional consequences.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

Thanks. I will flash my car first before swapping out for the Lithium battery
Old 04-04-2016, 02:50 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 104 Posts

Has anyone had any experience withe the Voltphreak VPH 900. It looks to be on par with the Braille I48CE but $500 less. It also weighs just 7lbs. Doing a little homework on the VPH 900. I am also wondering if it is plug and play and you do not need an additional bracket. If any one has any experience please chime in.

Thanks
If you go to the DIY forum and search for voltphreak you'll find a thread of someone using one of their batteries in a 997. The write up is quite good. I'd really like to see the battery compartment on a Cayman to see what it would take to make the battery fit and secure.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by krell
If you go to the DIY forum and search for voltphreak you'll find a thread of someone using one of their batteries in a 997. The write up is quite good. I'd really like to see the battery compartment on a Cayman to see what it would take to make the battery fit and secure.
Thru my investigation this is what I have learned. I think the two best options for me out there is the Braille i48CE and/or the Voltphreak VPH900. The Voltphreak is superior in weight(7 lbs vs 10 lbs), price($500 cheaper), and it has a full battery management system(BMS) which does do quite a bit.- great product.

The downside is they do not make a battery mount for this. You would have to custom or find a mount that would work. The Battery is 10x6x3(LWH). I am not handy nor do I have access to see how the OEM battery sits to find a solution. If any one has any thoughts or solutions it would be welcomed. The Braille is truly plug and play and you pay for it.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^Krell - I will PM you. Maybe your Buddy who got his GT4 can rig something up for us. This battery is freakin pretty cool
Old 04-05-2016, 01:41 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

^Krell - I will PM you. Maybe your Buddy who got his GT4 can rig something up for us. This battery is freakin pretty cool
Got your PM. Alex has a base Cayman but I presume the battery mounting is the same as the GT4. I've been trying to talk to him about looking at his car for ideas securing the VoltPhreaks but he's been swamped at his shop. I'll keep on it though.

The DIY thread I mentioned above has a relatively straight forward mounting bracket tutorial, so I'm hoping something like that is possible for our cars.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by krell
Got your PM. Alex has a base Cayman but I presume the battery mounting is the same as the GT4. I've been trying to talk to him about looking at his car for ideas securing the VoltPhreaks but he's been swamped at his shop. I'll keep on it though.

The DIY thread I mentioned above has a relatively straight forward mounting bracket tutorial, so I'm hoping something like that is possible for our cars.
Yes - the problem with the Braille is if your charger goes out and you do not catch it and that battery drains you may be out $1500. With the Voltphreak you are safe guarded. If we can rig a safe bracket this would certainly be the route. Saving 28 lbs is the way to go - that is quite significant for ~$1000
Old 04-05-2016, 02:47 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

Yes - the problem with the Braille is if your charger goes out and you do not catch it and that battery drains you may be out $1500. With the Voltphreak you are safe guarded. If we can rig a safe bracket this would certainly be the route. Saving 28 lbs is the way to go - that is quite significant for ~$1000
I've never had the problem with a fried battery, pretty sure it has electronics that prevent this - but it has saved itself twice when I've left ignition on, requiring me to figure out the fuse-box entry process.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Somewhat related, I just installed an Odyssey in my Spyder and included a few pics of the install and weights. https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...w-weights.html

I considered the Braille also but I didn't love the mounting options and the cost was significantly higher to lose another 10 lbs. My thinking is that the Odyssey should last about 3 - 4 years and by then we should have some robust lightweight options and a good aftermarket solution to mount them in our cars without modification. Hopefully the vendors are paying attention.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

The Braille weighs only 10 LBs and it is plug and play. It mounts on the same fasteners so you should not need any new mounting brackets

My bad - I see you have an older model Spyder and it may need a specific mounting bracket
Old 04-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I've never had the problem with a fried battery, pretty sure it has electronics that prevent this - but it has saved itself twice when I've left ignition on, requiring me to figure out the fuse-box entry process.
The Braille is very good. Just my first option is the VPH900 but it may end of being the braille but i think we can rig a mounting bracket. For some sick reasoning I am fixated with reducing as much weight as I can w/o throwing out the radio and A/C
Old 04-05-2016, 06:21 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

The Braille is very good. Just my first option is the VPH900 but it may end of being the braille but i think we can rig a mounting bracket. For some sick reasoning I am fixated with reducing as much weight as I can w/o throwing out the radio and A/C
yeah, I know how you feel - I have a ridiculous mountain bike where parts are priced in the $100/per oz. If I just missed a meal before riding, I would have made up the weight. But it's easy to get fixated because weight is a tangible measurement/metric.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:48 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 921 Posts

yeah, I know how you feel - I have a ridiculous mountain bike where parts are priced in the $100/per oz. If I just missed a meal before riding, I would have made up the weight. But it's easy to get fixated because weight is a tangible measurement/metric.
Not to get off topic...but maybe I can help a little bit on the MTB weight problem and help you lower that $$$$ per oz.....excuse me....grams!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:20 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Glad I'm not the only one sort of possessed about taking weight out of the car.

I like that Porsche has the battery on the mid-line of the car and towards the center, but it's up a bit high. I'm not saying taking 20lbs out of that space will be noticeable, but it certainly can't hurt performance.

Now, how else can we "add lightness?"
Old 04-06-2016, 01:07 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

I have a 25lbs weight that I put on my garbage can at night so the raccoons will not get in. As I placed it on tonight the thought hit me that 25 lbs. is heavier than you think when it is concentrated in one small space. Probably the same width and length as a battry

Quick Reply: Saved a few months on the tread mill